If there was a general election tomorrow...

paddy

If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • BNP
    • Other (please state)
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Abstain / Won't Bother

• 4 weeks later...

In the months leading up to a general election, it is important that the parties present a united front.

Two incompetent clowns who should never have been allowed in the party, never mind represent it in parliament call for brown to go even though they're both standing down at the election, the pair of money grabbing f'tards

Two ex-cabinet ministers are calling for a secret ballot on Gordon Brown's leadership, only months before a general election must be called.

Patricia Hewitt and Geoff Hoon have written to Labour MPs saying the issue must be sorted out "once and for all".

They said the party was "deeply divided" and without a ballot there was a risk "grumbling" could continue through the election campaign.

But minister Chris Bryant told the BBC the call was "self indulgent".

It follows rumours Mr Brown's critics were trying to persuade ministers to resign in a bid to force him out.

Dicks yes, but correct dicks nevertheless. The only person unable to grasp that the public will not vote in sufficent numbers for five more years of Gordon Brown is Gordon Brown - and his ever dwindling band of deluded supporters.

Ditch Brown and they have at least got a chance of getting a hung Parliament - it is certainly the Tories biggest fear.

I don't know. What are the current polls looking like? Whilst I've not been keeping up too regularly with the papers lightly, the impression I've got is that Cameron's victory march is far from certain, and the gap is at least closing. Based on nothing much than a hunch I feel disposing of Brown and replacing him with someone new would play right into Tory hands. At least voters know the current incumbent devil - who at least ( rightly or wrongly ) can talk about the G20 talks and his efforts to do that and so forth. A new guy would have next to nothing to advertise in an election against Cameron, yet still carry the tarnish of Labour's past acts.

Rodders, steady state of:

Tories - 40%

Labour - 30%

Lib Dems - 20%

Given the boundary changes that have taken place under Labour that still might not be enough to give Cameron an outright majority but with a leader that isn't regarded as financially incontinent Labour would probably pull those numbers back more.

Personally I suspect the Dark Lord Mandleson is behind this, the people fronting it are expendable fall guys leaving at the next election anyway.

Dicks yes, but correct dicks nevertheless. The only person unable to grasp that the public will not vote in sufficent numbers for five more years of Gordon Brown is Gordon Brown - and his ever dwindling band of deluded supporters.
If they hung hewitt and hoon from london bridge I would vote for gordo.

With regards to the GE, I'll aditt now I'm a Labour Party member, but I don't think we;ll win, the fight now is to get a low a Tory majority as possible.

However I've been reading up lots recenetly on PPC, you can usually find profiles on them around the net. After reading quite a few I'm actually scared by the Tory PPC, they see far more 'tory' than David Cameron.

With the Labour PPC I feel that theres been a shift to what people feel Labour should stand for in the attitudes etc, its just a shame so few of the will get in.

I must admit the prospect of David Cameron in No.10 terrifies me more and more.
You didn't live through the Thatcher era.

No, but I fear I may be given ample oppurtunity to get a taste for what it was like later in the year.

More than the IMF?

Really couldn't answer that. Probably not mind, but still, a lesser evil is still an evil I suppose.

I must admit the prospect of David Cameron in No.10 terrifies me more and more.

No, but I fear I may be given ample oppurtunity to get a taste for what it was like later in the year.

i don't think an initial Green Dave govt would be anything like as right wing as Maggie T's three terms, Chinders.

Could be wrong, but i think Green Dave likes to be seen as a populist chappie, whereas Maggie T was very much a conviction and ideals leader.

Really couldn't answer that. Probably not mind, but still, a lesser evil is still an evil I suppose.

Dude, Brown is still talking about increasing public spending. If Labour get back in the markets and credit ratings agencies are going to put the UK on the naughty step and Brown's dreams will be shown up as the Alice in Wonderland fantasy they really are.

Basically voting Labour back in would be a utter economic disaster and they wouldn't last to 2011. Our economy is wrecked and the country has no alternative to taking some nasty medicine in terms of public spending cuts and tax rises across the board. NO political party is being honest about that. The best you can say for Cameron is that he is being less dishonest than Brown.

Dude, Brown is still talking about increasing public spending. If Labour get back in the markets and credit ratings agencies are going to put the UK on the naughty step and Brown's dreams will be shown up as the Alice in Wonderland fantasy they really are.

Basically voting Labour back in would be a utter economic disaster and they wouldn't last to 2011. Our economy is wrecked and the country has no alternative to taking some nasty medicine in terms of public spending cuts and tax rises across the board. NO political party is being honest about that. The best you can say for Cameron is that he is being less dishonest than Brown.

Because I don't like the sound of a Tory government doesn't mean I want Labour in place either.

I have absolutely no faith in the Tory party having changed it's spots, and the lower end of society will be hit hardest while they protect pockets higher up the pyramid.

I'd also disagree with Jon, to save quoting him. Cameron might like being popularist but I think he'll revert to Tory type, either by chance or by force behind him, and it'll all get rather nasty for some.

It will regardless of course, but I suspect the choices the Tories make will hit my background hardest, and yes that is a case of I'm Alright Jack ;)

Cameron might like being popularist but I think he'll revert to Tory type, either by chance or by force behind him, and it'll all get rather nasty for some.

also very possible, sadly.

however, should he do that, i doubt he'll be in office for longer than the 1 term, assuming he gets a large enough majority to enact all the things he wishes.

hung parliaments and tiny majorities can be an awful lot of fun for the politically interested ...

Luckily for the country a lot of us did :-)

I think you missquoted Mike there Tony. It should read

"You didn't have to survive the Thatcher era"

I'm no Labour supporter but the Deification of Thatcher offends me as she created just as many problems as she solved

I really can't see how anyone who wasn't rich would want to vote for the Conservatives. There's absolutely no way we'd be better off under that smug clearing in the woods and his party. If they win it's surely only Labour's incompetence that's doing it, the Conservatives are nothing special, far from it.

Â