If there was a general election tomorrow...

paddy

If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • BNP
    • Other (please state)
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Abstain / Won't Bother

Half the country wouldn't be able to get to the polling station.

Well considering that the Tory party introduced the frankly obscene system where ex-pats can still have a vote it shouldn't worry a lot

You don't think British citizens working overseas should have the right to vote? Why on earth not? Would you withdraw that obscenity from members of the Armed Forces serving overseas too?

If there was a general election tomorrow... I'd vote the for Conservatives (they'll be winning the general election easily.. any fool can see Cameron is better for the job than Boredom Drown). Gordon Brown is a **** joke... not quite as bad a Mr Bush, but close. The Labour Party is a **** joke too tbf.

EDIT: Suprised to see so many have voted for Lib Dems.

You really are priceless Jon - you are a master of twist and turn - you know that is not what was being said and in typical style try and bring the armed forces into it.

Let's use the perfect example of that long lost VT poster Mr Nick Rogers - is he a Army bod? Nope, Does he live permanently outside of the UK? Sure does. Does he because of the Tory party rules, have a vote in the UK? ...... Hmmm Yes. I believe Risso still has a vote - I'm sure if he reads this he can correct it yes or no - and he lives in the IOM. etc etc etc etc

If there was a general election tomorrow... I'd vote the for Conservatives (they'll be winning the general election easily.. any fool can see Cameron is better for the job than Boredom Drown). Gordon Brown is a **** joke... not quite as bad a Mr Bush, but close. The Labour Party is a **** joke too tbf.

With those wonderful words of Paxman like political comment, I wonder what makes you think that Shameron - are we playing the name calling now? - would be a good PM and what he would bring to you and the country?

I am intrigued as to why you say that Lord AirBrush Dave would be better - its' a snow day so plenty of time :-)

Half the country wouldn't be able to get to the polling station.

Well considering that the Tory party introduced the frankly obscene system where ex-pats can still have a vote it shouldn't worry a lot

You don't think British citizens working overseas should have the right to vote? Why on earth not? Would you withdraw that obscenity from members of the Armed Forces serving overseas too?

In the interests of fairness AWOL that isn't what Drat said and you are putting words in his mouth a little there.

I think it was fairly clear that he was making reference to those who live permanently abroad, do not pay tax within the UK (perhaps living abroad for that very reason) and who spend minimal or perhaps the maximum amount of time they can in this country.

I don't think for one minute he was making reference to the armed forces who for a start are stationed abroad rather than living abroad, are still UK residents and UK tax payers. You know far more than I about the armed forces but I personally don't think there is any parallel to be drawn between them and the people Drat is making reference to.

EDIT: Suprised to see so many have voted for Lib Dems.

Each to their own.

I tend to cast my vote based on deep held political and social beliefs, on the things that matter to me on a personal level and to the rest of the country. I tend to vote on things called policies, old fashioned perhaps granted but I still feel policies have a place in politics.

I tend to not want to cast my vote by pressing the red button and backing the winning side is not something I think about when I put my little cross in the box but each to their own I guess.

With those wonderful words of Paxman like political comment, I wonder what makes you think that Shameron - are we playing the name calling now? - would be a good PM and what he would bring to you and the country?

I am intrigued as to why you say that Lord AirBrush Dave would be better - its' a snow day so plenty of time :-)

I'm not being a wussy calling names (even though I think it's fair to say Boredom Drown is even too miserable to be a undertaker), I'm just stating what everyone else thinks pretty much... opinion polls will tell you the same and even more people on here would rather have Lib Dems than Labour stay in power for another 4 years. David Cameron is bold, ambitious, won't dick around and certainly won't be boring old sod like Gordon Brown is who even needs his wife to give out a speech for him because he's so shit.

Cameron > Brown FACT.

Geoffrey Robinson (he who lent Peter Mandelson £373,00 ) uses offshore trusts as does Sir Ronald Cohen [who bankrolled Brown's leadership campaign)

I guess you hit the post button too early and were about to include them :winkold:

An Electoral Commission report indicated that fewer than 13,000 of the 5.5 million Britons living abroad are on the British electoral register , somehow i doubt they can swing an election unlike postal fraud votes used by a certain party ....

Vote-riggers exploited weaknesses in the postal voting system to steal thousands of ballot papers and mark them for Labour, helping the party to take first place in elections to Birmingham City Council.

Next .......

I tend to vote on things called policies, old fashioned perhaps granted but I still feel policies have a place in politics.

If only this were the norm in this day and age Trent when policy seems to be " we're not the other guys"

Indeed. When Antony Giddens wrote about the "3rd way" and bluring of the boundaries of "Left" and "Right" I thought he was talking about the bluring of old party lines and the new centralisation of politics.

Turns out what he meant was that the "3rd way" was to do away with polcies and turn elections into a version of the X Factor only with less chicks on roller blades.

It won't be long before election slogans are replaced with "XXX is a spaz".

The Tories kinda tried it with their devil eyes Blair and it was a resounding flop , as was Labours Class war attempt in Crewe .... The public may be stupid but ti seems they haven't succumbed to falling for below the belt stuff ...... yet

Drat,

Ok, what about Brit's living in the EU? Still abroad, vote or no vote

Edit: I asked about the Armed Forces because I was trying to clarify what you meant. I think that's still allowed.

Geoffrey Robinson (he who lent Peter Mandelson £373,00 ) uses offshore trusts as does Sir Ronald Cohen [who bankrolled Brown's leadership campaign)

I guess you hit the post button too early and were about to include them :winkold:

I'm not sure who that post is in response to or who you mean when you say "I guess you hit the reply button too early" but just in case you meant me I didn't post any examples from either side.

I try not to let me own personal political leanings colour my views on things and try and remain open and objective, which I wish more people would do rather than all posts coming from their own entrenched view.

On this occasion, I happen to agree with Drat or rather see what he was saying rather than what he was accused of saying which as I've already stated was a little different.

Corruption, hands in the till and tax avoidance happens on both sides of the house and on either side of the divide. You won't see me argue with that or state otherwise.

The Tories kinda tried it with their devil eyes Blair and it was a resounding flop , as was Labours Class war attempt in Crewe .... The public may be stupid but ti seems they haven't succumbed to falling for below the belt stuff ...... yet

I had forgotten that one with the Blair poster until you mentioned it, interesting. I'm affraid I'm not aware of the Crewe attempt by Labour I will have to look into that one.

Its nice to know we've not sunk that far.....yet as you say.

I'm not sure who that post is in response to or who you mean when you say "I guess you hit the reply button too early" but just in case you meant me I didn't post any examples from either side.

it wasn't you

which I wish more people would do rather than all posts coming from their own entrenched view.

Well coming from the home of VT where Thatcher still gets the blame for everything despite 12 years of Labour rule and people wont vote Tory because in 1857 a Tory MP once closed down a Spinning Jenny making factory as it was no longer productive , I think you may be in a minority of 1 :-) but it' a noble sentiment

I vote Tory (no surprise there) , there are some of their policies I don't agree with but on balance they have the most that I do , so when a poster is silly enough to imply that only the Tories have tax dodgers I am going to post a retort to balance things out ... Some time back i did praise Brown with his policy of wanting to get school leavers to stay on until 18 , it was and still is a good idea (not sure if the thread is still there but I don't think many agreed with the idea ) so it's not like my eyes are completely shut to other parties and what they get up to

I try not to let me own personal political leanings colour my views on things and try and remain open and objective, which I wish more people would do rather than all posts coming from their own entrenched view.

yup.

Bollitics FTL :(

Well coming from the home of VT where Thatcher still gets the blame for everything despite 12 years of Labour rule and people wont vote Tory because in 1857 a Tory MP once closed down a Spinning Jenny making factory as it was no longer productive , I think you may be in a minority of 1 :-) but it' a noble sentiment

I still blame Thatcher for there not being enough Jam in my doughnuts and for the snow. :D

I vote Tory (no surprise there) , there are some of their policies I don't agree with but on balance they have the most that I do

That is fair enough

Some time back i did praise Brown with his policy of wanting to get school leavers to stay on until 18 , it was and still is a good idea

That must have hurt. :winkold:

so it's not like my eyes are completely shut to other parties and what they get up to

No granted but then my point was a general one that happened to be in reply to one of your posts although I can see why you would have thought it in reference to you.

I just wish it was possible to have a debate on policies, events, personalities in politics etc without the division of the traditional party lines and without people taking their normal positions, wishful thinking I know.

1 vote and they're a waste of space

it was one example ..i could give more if it makes you feel better ?

Indeed - like in 1993 when they propped up major's govt when he was one vote away from the vote of no confidence failure that would have brought in John Smith as PM and saved the world from bliar.

The Tories kinda tried it with their devil eyes Blair and it was a resounding flop

I had forgotten that one with the Blair poster until you mentioned it, interesting.

How could you - you see it nearly every day

<----------------------

An Electoral Commission report indicated that fewer than 13,000 of the 5.5 million Britons living abroad are on the British electoral register , somehow i doubt they can swing an election unlike postal fraud votes used by a certain party ....

Vote-riggers exploited weaknesses in the postal voting system to steal thousands of ballot papers and mark them for Labour, helping the party to take first place in elections to Birmingham City Council.

Next .......

:-) good to see you following that party line Tony

Despite assurances that he would come clean from him and Dave and Hague, Ashcroft - a sitting member of the British parliament - still will not divulge his tax paying exploits. Every non-Tory politician has asked for clarification on this, especially that due to the many many millions of pounds that he has contributed both direct and through the various shadow (not real) companies, he refuses to come clean about his taxes. Maybe there is more in the fact that he said its no longer an issue - which implies that he has thrown many many millions at this while being a non tax payer and then does not need to put more in just yet.

And still he sits in the HOL

Why don't they come clean - why don't they disclose who these bogus companies are that fund them? It seems that the days of Major and Thatcher are still there for the Tory party

Tony - do you agree that party funding should be open and transparent? and do you agree that there is a lot of muddying of the waters with the actions of Ashcroft and the other secret donations via so called companies?

Â