If there was a general election tomorrow...

paddy

If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • BNP
    • Other (please state)
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Abstain / Won't Bother

I also agree with Paddy and TT that Hague is streets ahead of Cameron intellectually.

Probably the truest statement on this thread, tis a pity he'll never even stand for Tory leadership again, I've never voted Tory in a national election in my life (Central Scotland, Donkey with Labour rosette etc.) but Hague I'd actually vote for

Twelve or so years ago this country married a woman who was quite attractive and gave us hope. She has lied to us, cheated on us and burned everything that we have worked for by spending big and putting it all on credit. Now we have seen another woman, an old flame, who knocked us about a bit in the past and in truth is pretty damn ugly, but we have to get away so we'll climb in bed with her and see whether she has mellowed for the good and we can scratch out some kind of future from the ashes of the present.

Why not try banging the vegetarian nerdy chick in glasses at the bar who never manages to get a guy to take her home?

The Lib Dems?

Can't see any reason why not ....

Why would VT be unrepresentative in such a way - other than being disproportionately male, compared to the populace at large and without knowing (or wanting to know) the racial or social "profile" of all us posters - why would us lot be not reasonably representative of the population at large?

I'd say you couldn't trust a political poll on VT to be representative of the populace at large Pete.

Firstly - it requires support of AVFC

secondly - it requires access to and knowledge of how to use the internet/PC's - this would rule out a fair few of the older generation of voters.

I would guess respondents to the poll would be skewed heavily in favour of males, and also quite heavily in favour of males under say 40.

Certainly i think the readership of VT would be skewed in that way, although not all of them would take part in this poll, or be that interetsed in it.

which is why, without knowing who has voted in this sort of poll, not a great deal can be gleaned from it, IMO, other than that of those who have voted, the Tories are the most popular single party.

I largelly agree with that Jon, plus the way people vote in poll's is often different to what people do when they enter the polling station, plus i'd imagine a fair few who have voted in this thread may not actually be elligable to vote in the election.

This Tories only care about the rich is getting a bit boring now .. I seem to recall the working man party abolished a 10p tax rate and screwed the poor not so long ago ... End of the day Blair and Brown courted the rich , got the bankers on side and got elected .. how very working class of them
I suppose gravity gets a bit boring after a while as well, but still the truth.

Yes the red coloured nulabour party carried out many of the policies of the blue coloured party and thats one of the reasons inequality has continued to grow, continuing a 30 year trend.

The only reason we don't vote for them en masse Jon is because the one thing Labour and Conservatives will always agree on is spouting the "wasted vote" mantra and their chums in the press backing it up

Well not really ..

Take the referendum vote a chance to finally do something good for the country ..a chance to back the the party’s manifesto commitment of the 2005 and what did they do .....

They Abstained and our chance at a referendum was lost

it was YES or NO .. and they still couldn't make up their mind ....

The only reason we don't vote for them en masse Jon is because the one thing Labour and Conservatives will always agree on is spouting the "wasted vote" mantra and their chums in the press backing it up

Well not really ..

Take the referendum vote a chance to finally do something good for the country ..a chance to back the the party’s manifesto commitment of the 2005 and what did they do .....

They Abstained and our chance at a referendum was lost

it was YES or NO .. and they still couldn't make up their mind ....

He he he. You'll never let it lie, will you? :winkold:

My apologies Tony,

I forgot the Tories are the only perfect political party and don't make mistakes

My bad

eyes roll thingy .. i expected better from you tbh ...Someone posts , someone offers a counter argument , that is kinda the general idea of a forum isn't it ? I don't recall saying any party was perfect ...

You put a post to the effect that people didn't vote Lib dem because the media and the other parties implied it was a wasted vote .. i was just giving an example of how the Lib Dems didn't exactly cover themselves in glory or do anything to lose the "waste of space" tag

My apologies Tony,

I forgot the Tories are the only perfect political party and don't make mistakes

My bad

eyes roll thingy .. i expected better from you tbh ...Someone posts , someone offers a counter argument , that is kinda the general idea of a forum isn't it ? I don't recall saying any party was perfect ...

You put a post to the effect that people didn't vote Lib dem because the media and the other parties implied it was a wasted vote .. i was just giving an example of how the Lib Dems didn't exactly cover themselves in glory or do anything to lose the "waste of space" tag

Clegg might be fairly described as wet and useless but Vince Cable is far and away the best candidate for Chancellor in all of three main parties (the only one maybe on par or close is Ken Clarke and he won't be displacing Osborne). There is a dearth of real talent across the political spectrum which is the most depressing thing imo.

My apologies Tony,

My bad

1 vote and they're a waste of space, particularly as you didn't agree with their decision, that's not a counter argument Tony it's exectly what I posted initially and incedentally fully expected

1 vote and they're a waste of space

it was one example ..i could give more if it makes you feel better ? The old Liberals had a dash of the reckless radicalism to them. Back in the 1970s they dared to speak out on drugs, tax credits and local democracy. They were free spirits .. now they are nothing , If the Lib Dems are to make an impact they need to say something distinctive, against the run of convention

BTW , does anyone agree with their decision to abstian ? or is Wigan correct and I am the only person in the world who thinks this way ?

BTW , does anyone agree with their decision to abstian ? or is Wigan correct and I am the only person in the world who thinks this way ?

No you're not, our national sovereignty is a massive issue but we are now in a situation where Labour lied, the Lib Dems bottled, and the less said about 'cast iron' Dave the better.

If it's a big issue for you then there is a viable option at the ballot box, so the question is do you care enough to vote UKIP in hope of restoring some semblance of democracy to the UK?

If there was a general election tomorrow...

Half the country wouldn't be able to get to the polling station.

Well considering that the Tory party introduced the frankly obscene system where ex-pats can still have a vote it shouldn't worry a lot

Maybe you don't need to pay UK taxes to be a Tory "friend" ......... it's nearly April Mr Ashcroft - Ah I see you are too busy in the Caribbean to worry about UK taxes maybe next year eh?

Â