If there was a general election tomorrow...

paddy

If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a general election tomorrow who would you vote for?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • BNP
    • Other (please state)
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Abstain / Won't Bother

You missed the reference to blame and sunshine ............... up your bum yourself

the bum reference was aimed at me Ian.

You'll need to find someone else to take care of your bum for you ... :winkold: :mrgreen:

So Walker didn't say he had threatened to resign but that the Chiefs had - ie, the heads of each service and not Walker as CDS - a political appointment. It sounds to me like he's saying to the PM: "don't worry, although they may be pissed off now I'll be able to throw it back in their faces for wanting the big ticket items (Navy = Carriers, Army = FRES, RAF = Typhoon) they need to perform their roles, and cuts will be dressed up as, er, modernisation.

The post of CDS is to essentially manage the Armed Forces for the politicians, not to look after the interests of servicemen and their individual arms. For example Peter, my own unit was 'modernised' out of exisitence as part of the army restructuring that cut four infantry battalions. Political use of language by a CDS doesn't exactly sink the broader premise that they were underfunded for the roles they were required to undertake.

That won't wash, Jon.

MOD has been overspending for years. They knew years before 2004 that they would have to make cuts in their wishlist in order to keep in line with what they knew was available to them. Instead of doing so, like every other department had to, they both continued spending on big expensive projects which were allowed to overspend to a criminal extent, then they tried a trainee accountant's ruse to break the known spending rules, but it wasn't allowed.

So they disbanded four divisions, because that was something they preferred to do rather than control their budgets or rein in their pet projects.

And also, I have no doubt, because that was more visible and more politically unacceptable, as a means of trying to make people feel they were being downtrodden by a heartless Treasury.

Now, we hear all the stuff about "Ooh, I was so cross! I nearly gave him a piece of my mind, I nearly did!".

What a bunch of bullshitters.

You do have a grumpy mood on you though again

I'm angry about the subject, fella, nothing else.

p.s. you may have a visitor in a couple of months sounds like I have to be in the area so I will be looking for you to buy those bloody beers :-)

Bars already mapped out, including an Irish bar that serves a cracking pint of Guinness - at UK prices!

At your service as and when..

There have been little / no objections to the people appointed to run the enquiry

Really?

I think there were criticisms of the appointees (especially Chilcot himself) soon after the inquiry was announced and all through there have been criticisms of their lack of teeth (the only one who seemed to bare any has been Rod Lyne).

There have also been criticisms from the start with the inquiry's remit.

As far as Brown coming across well, I only watched some of it and he did come across well to most (though not it appears to some of the families of the dead). It hardly matters 'how people come across' though, does it? Or at least, it should matter less than getting at the truth.

s that Brown gave an assured and fair submital to the enquiry.
is a very different statement than
how Brown came across
Darren - that is Daily Mail twisting words

As for the appointees etc - I am sure the Right wing led media and opportunist politicians like Cameron and Hague would have been shouting from the rooftops if they felt that this was a stitch up. Is it not more a case that because they are not getting the answers that some want to see they are wrong?

how Brown came across
Darren - that is Daily Mail twisting words

Ah, crossed wires, there. I was referring (with the how he came across comment) to a previous post even though I added it on to my reply to your point about the inquiry panel.

Regarding 'being assured', though, the same comment does still apply. All sorts of people can be assured but, again, that really ought to matter little. The argument should be about the substance of the matter and on the level and direction of questioning.

As for the appointees etc - I am sure the Right wing led media and opportunist politicians like Cameron and Hague would have been shouting from the rooftops if they felt that this was a stitch up. Is it not more a case that because they are not getting the answers that some want to see they are wrong?

Yet, I very rarely read what you class as 'right wing led' media.

The complaints and questions that I remember were discussed, often, in comment pieces in the Grauniad and have been the subject of discussion by people such as Menzies-Campbell and Phillipe Sands (whose political affiliation I am unsure of but who has spent most of the last decade critizing the arse out of Bush and Blair's foreign policies).

One headline says this morning:

One of these men refused to kill innocent civilians. The other boasts of writing a blank cheque for an illegal war. As Joe Glenton is sentenced to prison and Gordon Brown walks free, we ask:

WHO’S THE CRIMINAL?

Looks like the Tory party has a good supporter :-) :-)

Mugabe supports the Tory party :-)

Zimbabwe's president Robert Mugabe has formally endorsed David Cameron to be Britain's next prime minister, claiming he can relate better to the Tories than the current Labour government.

Relations between Britain and Zimbabwe have soured during the previous decade following the years of the land seizures and the controversial 2002 election which resulted in Tony Blair imposing a series of sanctions on the impoverished African nation.

Responding to comments made by current prime minister Gordon Brown regarding the ongoing situation in Zimbabwe during a meeting with South African president Jacob Zuma in central London on Thursday, Mr Mugabe announced his country had a better chance of improving relations with a Conservative government.

"We have always related better with the British through the Conservatives than Labour," he said. ...............................

Maybe he's looking to become another Belize?

Â