General Chat

Stevo985

Same as almost everyone else.  I was in year 9, just finished a standard Design Technology lesson with Mrs Pearson (who later refused her class from observing a 2 minutes silence, silly cow) - was walking home from school and my mobile rang (in the days only my parents and brother ever rang) and it was my brother "get home now and turn the news on".  I was walking down Carters Lane and ran back, and saw what I imagine were the replays of the planes going through the buildings, followed by the collapses. 

It was a nice day, certainly as nice as it was in NYC.   I never usually paid much attention to the news, but i was back 2 hours before anyone else and never moved a muscle in that time.

It changed the world for the worse.

Those people flying the planes got so lucky that the building collapsed.  There are no words for them to describe what they did.

On 9/9/2016 at 10:47, Rodders said:

I love fruit but my partner hates them. She's complained of health issues. which fruit and veg would certainly help, but is so stubborn. I've encouraged her to have one satsuma a day as that's the only one she finds vaguely tolerable. However, even when I suggest it in a light hearted way the stubborness digs in to the point that this satsuma has taken on a martyrdom type status, a metonymy for The Struggle.  I've given up. Now I just smuggle them in to the odd soup now and again. 

She's also not a huge fan of vegetables either. This means on restaurant nights out, where my normal policy of choosing something I wouldn't cook well at home has historically led to lot's of steaks, has more recently led to me ordering the veggie option :o It's an outrage. 

(sorry for going to frivolous topics again)

. . . but what does she eat? I mean, what does a normal look like? Pasta and chicken?

heh, carb heavy stuff mostly. pasta, potatoes, chips. rice, lots of meat. In fairness, she likes veg soup where the flavour is ameliorated by parsnips or sweet potatoes, and peas or other bits and bobs smuggled into a stew, lasagne etc so it's not all bad, but as I end up not bothering with food that we both can't eat .I haven't had broccoli or cauliflower in ages :( I'm too lazy to cook it as a side dish just for me. 

To be fair, I'm also a finicky eater. It's not that there are whole food groups like fruit that I avoid, but there are some high-frequency foods I find disgusting (potatoes in anything except crisps or crispy fries, egg except for the whites when fried, mayonnaise) so I feel her pain a bit.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

there are some high-frequency foods I find disgusting (potatoes in anything except crisps or crispy fries, egg except for the whites when fried, mayonnaise) 

Crikey. I could pretty much live on eggs and potatoes, cooked every which way. 

On 12/09/2016 at 07:58, Rodders said:

heh, carb heavy stuff mostly. pasta, potatoes, chips. rice, lots of meat. In fairness, she likes veg soup where the flavour is ameliorated by parsnips or sweet potatoes, and peas or other bits and bobs smuggled into a stew, lasagne etc so it's not all bad, but as I end up not bothering with food that we both can't eat .I haven't had broccoli or cauliflower in ages :( I'm too lazy to cook it as a side dish just for me. 

Ameliorated and metonymy in almost consecutive posts?  I've got me eye on you lad.

• Like 1

Those of you who are very picky eaters should do the super-taster test.  It seems there is a small section of the population who have loads more taste buds than the rest, so everything is heightened for them.  Meaning the bad is also amplified.  So they tend to be a pickier lot. You might be a super-taster and not even know it.

Super-tasters experience the five basic tastes, especially bitter foods, with greater intensity. Work out if you are a super-taster by following Mark's simple step-by-step instructions.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I doubt I'm a super taster. My father has anosmia, which I'm assuming I'll inherit, although I admit I've done precisely no research into whether this is how anosmia works.

You might still have the tastebuds but just not be able to use them :P So yeah, probably not a supertaster.

I'm a picky eater, but it's more about me being a wimp rather than the taste of the food. I don't like certain textures or how some food looks.

I'm funny with meat with too much fat or gristle or if it's a weird body part like tongue or liver. 

I'm the opposite.  I will consciously go for the maddest thing on the menu if I haven't tried it before.  The logic being that it's there for a reason.  Someone must like it.  It's (presumably) not going to kill me and I might really like it.  If I don't like it then OK I've ticked that box and you move on.  It has served me (har har) well to date.  Really the only time it didn't work out was with a cuttlefish cooked in its own ink.  Yep, to cut a long story short, I didn't finish that meal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I will consciously go for the maddest thing on the menu if I haven't tried it before.  The logic being that it's there for a reason.  Someone must like it. 

I did that with dog in DPRK  ... I'm, still not sure what that reason is , it wasn't that tasty ... I rank it just below guinea pig but above bulls cock in things I really wish I hadn't tried as they were on the menu

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I did that with dog in DPRK  ... I'm, still not sure what that reason is , it wasn't that tasty ... I rank it just below guinea pig but above bulls cock in things I really wish I hadn't tried as they were on the menu

:crylaugh: Haha yes, I suppose if I was in far flung places like yourself, I'd probably have to tighten my definitions slightly about what I will and will not try :D  I wouldn't even enter a restaurant that has shark on the menu fwiw, although that's tangential in the eat/won't eat discussion.

41 minutes ago, BOF said:

:crylaugh: Haha yes, I suppose if I was in far flung places like yourself, I'd probably have to tighten my definitions slightly about what I will and will not try :D  I wouldn't even enter a restaurant that has shark on the menu fwiw, although that's tangential in the eat/won't eat discussion.

there is quite  a big push in China now to stop people eating Shark fin ...Having it  was all about showing how wealthy you are from my understanding  (rather than how much of a cockwomble you are if you eat it)

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

there is quite  a big push in China now to stop people eating Shark fin ...Having it  was all about showing how wealthy you are from my understanding  (rather than how much of a cockwomble you are if you eat it)

There is, and sales are down hugely.  It was completely status oriented (as opposed to the usual East Asian reason of pseudo-scientific miracle cure nonsense). 

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

Why? Taste, texture or squeam?

Rubbery sea stuff is desperate overcooked.

Pretty much everything.

The ink was jet black printer ink.  Quite disconcerting but I went with it.

The texture.  It almost had a skin in so far as the outside of the 'steak' was tougher than the inside, so you had to bite through it in a way you don't usually do with pretty much any fish.

The taste.  It was a much stronger fish flavour than I had been expecting.  And it all came together.  Biting into a very strange fish texture with black printer ink all over it to taste a not-that-pleasant fish flavour.  Then there was the ink seeping into the potato thingy that accompanied it, making a 'lovely' black to grey fade effect on the plate.

I managed to keep a straight face for long enough to convince the gf to give it a try, knowing fine well she'd probably puke.  She tried it.  Didn't puke but wasn't far off before 'using a napkin' and calling me all the bastards under the Sun as I pissed meself laughing :lol:

EDIT : Guess what I found? (yes that's the actual meal).  You can't quite see the seeping effect there though.

43cb08c73ca6cae74ece03460ff0c8d9.png

Â