General Chat

Stevo985

Moral question; something I was discussing with my mum in the aftermath of this teacher story. 

15 year olds, in many cases, are children in a woman's body.

Is it any more wrong to to sleep with a 15 year old than it is to sleep with somebody who might have a disability and have a child's mind in an adults body?

This is with consent for both cases.

Obviously in the eye of the law, it's different.

EDIT: And we weren't just discussing this randomly. My brother has some learning difficulties.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

If a teacher at my daughter's school had sex with her, I'd be furious with him, and want him sacked and prosecuted - whether she was 15 or 18. I'd also be furious with her.

Mike, out of interest where would you draw the line? At what age (or some other marker of maturity, if you prefer) would you consider an individual to be ready to make sexual decisions on his/her own?

I don't think I could put a number on it. Pre-puberty is obviously out of the question. After that, I think it's going to vary wildly. Some kids are physically mature but emotionally immature. Some are surprisingly well-adjusted. Some adults never seem to grow up. It depends on the individual.

Of course, that's a problem with the law, which needs to set boundaries. The age of consent varies a lot from one country to another, but I guess I'd leave it as it is, and expect the courts to use some common sense.

So when your daughter was 18 you thought she wasn't ready? Judging from your initial post.

How did/do you judge whether your daughters are ready?

Edited by legov

So when your daughter was 18 you thought she wasn't ready? Judging from your initial post.

I think its almost impossible to judge without giving every individual a personal assessment. Even then, who carries out the assessment? Your dad? A government official? Maybe somebody in a position of trust and care - like your teacher twice your age that's married?

I think there needs to be a set legal limit, the alternative is chaos. That limit will be wrong for some people, as it will be wrong for who can drive, when you can marry, whether you are mentally ready to fire a gun, drink booze or smoke pot. That different countries have different age limits shows it can't be definitive.

But everybody needs to know definitively what is and isn't allowed so they can be in no doubt that their case is not as 'special' as they will inevitably think it is.

Au contraire. She was not only ready, but active. But with a boyfriend of her own generation. 

My objection would have been to her having a relationship with a teacher. Totally different situation. 

If a teacher at my daughter's school had sex with her, I'd be furious with him, and want him sacked and prosecuted - whether she was 15 or 18. I'd also be furious with her.

Mike, out of interest where would you draw the line? At what age (or some other marker of maturity, if you prefer) would you consider an individual to be ready to make sexual decisions on his/her own?

If there's grass on the pitch, let's play.

• Like 1

Just a warning to those who may not know, that crash happened only hours ago, both pilot and wing walker are dead. No offence but im not sure if things like that should be posted without a warning tbh. Just feels weird  :(

Edited by Ingram85

clearing in the woods!

Aww 

and I just got why it's replaced with 'clearing in the woods'.

The_clearing.jpg

Who coined it btw?  Surely a VT exclusive?

Its actually the Anglo Saxon derivation of the word it replaces. But in terms of VT I must take the credit for that one.

iirc Word Removed was John Cresswell

Is it difficult for a father to accept that their daughter is sexually active? I don't have children, and if I did I think this is something I would find quite difficult. Especially since a lot of children these days feel pressured to be adults before they actually are. 

Au contraire. She was not only ready, but active. But with a boyfriend of her own generation. 

My objection would have been to her having a relationship with a teacher. Totally different situation.

What if she was 18 and the teacher in question was 23 ? (happened when I was at school and tbh, no one batted an eyelid that I was aware of)

Is it difficult for a father to accept that their daughter is sexually active? I don't have children, and if I did I think this is something I would find quite difficult. Especially since a lot of children these days feel pressured to be adults before they actually are. 

Bet you'd encourage your son though.

A teacher should have nothing more than a professional relationship with their students, regardless of whether the student is 18. 

I feel that it is entirely acceptable for an adult student and teacher to have a relationship as long as they met each other as adults. 

Bet you'd encourage your son though.

I don't think I would personally, but I see where you're coming from. 

Â