General Chat

Stevo985

Bolt is charasmatic.

He's arrogant (but in an appealing way), he poses, he dances round the track when he wins.

PLus he's dominant at his sport, he's not a bad looking guy so he's a good "face" for things, he's fairly well spoken, he's funny.

Basically, he has everything. There's been many other dominant athletes, but few who boast the amount of qualities he has.

Do the Russians consider themselves winners of the space race? I know the Americans put a man on the moon but the Russians had a larger number of significant firsts and are arguably in a stronger position today, particularly with regards to the space station where the Yanks have had to rely on Russian launches or bring in the private sector to help.

We are so overwhelmed with (often jingoistic) American media all of that stuff is glossed over and its difficult to see the Russian perspective. Does anybody on here know?

I seem to remember reading something that said Russia beat the USA in literally everything involving space except for putting a man on the moon (which you could argue is the biggest achievement)

They were leading in everything you could measure like hours in space, manned hours in space, distance travelled and any other criteria you can think of.

USA getting to the moon was a bit like Spain playing San Marino, having 50 shots on target but scoring none, and then San Marino nicking it in the last minute to win 1-0

I seem to remember reading something that said Russia beat the USA in literally everything involving space except for putting a man on the moon (which you could argue is the biggest achievement)

They were leading in everything you could measure like hours in space, manned hours in space, distance travelled and any other criteria you can think of.

USA getting to the moon was a bit like Spain playing San Marino, having 50 shots on target but scoring none, and then San Marino nicking it in the last minute to win 1-0

Not really. It's more like San Marino scoring the first goal, then Spain getting angry and going on to win 10-0.

Having said that, the difference in technology, money and general approach was pretty decisive. One of the early IMAX films about the space race shows contemporary footage of 60s rocket launches at Cape Canaveral and Space City (or whatever it was called). The US astronauts had all the antiseptic quarantine, hermetically sealed route to the capsule approach, but the Russian guys just strolled out across the sand to the rocket, smoking fags and munching sandwiches, with their mates slapping them on the back, and then just climbing up a ladder into the craft.

Not really. It's more like San Marino scoring the first goal, then Spain getting angry and going on to win 10-0.

10-1.

10-1.

Were you at that game? :lol:

seeing as im one of those who believes the yanks never actually sent a man to the moon

There was a brilliant (genuinely brilliant) thread on here on that very subject. But I think it got trimmed unfortunately. It was fascinating.

Oh, and if you read it you wouldn't believe the moon landing was a hoax. Presented with evidence from both sides of the argument, not just a conspiracy theory point of view, it's quite obvious that they did put man on the moon.

seeing as im one of those who believes the yanks never actually sent a man to the moon

There was a brilliant (genuinely brilliant) thread on here on that very subject. But I think it got trimmed unfortunately. It was fascinating.

Oh, and if you read it you wouldn't believe the moon landing was a hoax. Presented with evidence from both sides of the argument, not just a conspiracy theory point of view, it's quite obvious that they did put man on the moon.

Twelve men, actually.

Yes, it was indeed a great read. I seem to remember it was Sie who managed to debunk almost every one of the common myths about man not going to the moon with a mound of factual evidence.

this is soul destroying man, I am literally the only person working in the office at the minute

first time in my life I have ever worked a saturday and its **** orrible.

I'm only doing it because next month I am getting raped by bills and have to pay out £1400 so I desperately need the overtime

plus I have the stone roses gig which will skint me out even more

Â