General Chat

Stevo985

Terrible story mate, puts things in perspective and highlights the fact that we sometimes take things for granted and dont realise how lucky we are at times. :(

On a related note, there is a bloke who drinks in the pub opposite my old man, who i know reasonably well. He had a 2 month old nephew who went for his 1st lot of jabs last week, seemed fine the rest of the day, just a little grizzly as was my son was when he had his. Died the very next day, got to do an autopsy now to find out what caused it. Ripped me to pieces a little by realising how lucky we are that George is fit and well.

And they say there is a God up there...

sad story Rev ... always seems to happen to the nice people :-( (not that I'm suggesting the bad people deserve it )

one of my sons friends got Leukaemia at the age of 3 but thankfully has (so far) come through it ..then his mum got breast cancer a few months later .. which sorta lead to a conversation i was having with my brother the other day that increasingly I know more and more people with cancer or other horrible illnesses and we wondered if cancer etc was becoming more wide spread , or do I just know a lot more people the older I get ( ambiguous links to people through Forums, Social networking etc) ??

one of my mates has a theory that since Chernobyl there are more and more people catching serious illnesses maybe I ought to look on line and see if there is any data ....

sad story Rev ... always seems to happen to the nice people :-( (not that I'm suggesting the bad people deserve it )

one of my sons friends got Leukaemia at the age of 3 but thankfully has (so far) come through it ..then his mum got breast cancer a few months later .. which sorta lead to a conversation i was having with my brother the other day that increasingly I know more and more people with cancer or other horrible illnesses and we wondered if cancer etc was becoming more wide spread , or do I just know a lot more people the older I get ( ambiguous links to people through Forums, Social networking etc) ??

one of my mates has a theory that since Chernobyl there are more and more people catching serious illnesses maybe I ought to look on line and see if there is any data ....

I think cancer is endemic to humans. And because we've now fixed lots of other illnesses that would have killed us off in the old days, more of us are living long enough to get cancer.

I think cancer is endemic to humans. And because we've now fixed lots of other illnesses that would have killed us off in the old days, more of us are living long enough to get cancer.

I always wondered now if it is just that some of these cancers were un-diagnosed 30 odd years ago. Now alot more people dying of cancer because it used to be listed as 'old age'.

Mike is right, more or less. There are more people and more people living longer, and diagnosis being better than ever and people are more connected to the rest of the world than ever, so we are encountering cancer (and other diseases) more than ever. Cancer is effectively just a fault of our bodies makeup, it is the disease we will all suffer from should we live long enough.

Subject change which makes me appear shallow and materialistic, but hey ho:

4iKRi.jpg

This is a double USB power adaptor for a car. It costs four pounds sterling. How the hell did I make it into 2012 without owning one?

Lets hope mine survives!

Oh, and if you are a member of this forum and you have five minutes and twenty nine seconds to spare, you will probably find this as interesting as I did. :nod:

I need to get out of my current job and actually get a career.

I know that feeling. I'm looking at college courses and arranging work experience in relevant fields. My gf has done this sort of thing for years and got a job she is really happy with. It works. Volunteer your free time and people will look upon you quite fondly and you gain experience as you do it.

I need to get out of my current job and actually get a career.

I know that feeling. I'm looking at college courses and arranging work experience in relevant fields. My gf has done this sort of thing for years and got a job she is really happy with. It works. Volunteer your free time and people will look upon you quite fondly and you gain experience as you do it.

Yep, me too. I graduated from the Open Uni in the summer but have done nothing with it since. I get paid just enough in my current job to keep me going but I have no prospects and really don't enjoy the work. It's deciding what to do that I'm struggling with, it seems anything I look involves more study which I can't afford at the moment. :?

Excellent.

Well, as it turns out, I'm no longer a drinker. In the interests of self-preservation you see. I've found that not drinking yet knowing you could if so inclined is a lot easier to live with than not drinking and knowing you can't.

My cigarette intake has increased tenfold as a result and I've lost weight, strangely, despite not being much of me as is.

So, I've resolved to get a hobby. A time consuming* (and preferably constructive) hobby at that, as writing comes and goes, it's rather inexplicable...sitting down with the sole intention of writing only leads in frustration and/or long nights.

Any ideas?

*adventurous masterbation is in consideration

Wine tasting?

You look at his avatar and just smile...he's harmless!

Subject change which makes me appear shallow and materialistic, but hey ho:

4iKRi.jpg

This is a double USB power adaptor for a car. It costs four pounds sterling. How the hell did I make it into 2012 without owning one?

For all these type of gadgets I use Deal Extreme, free worldwide shipping and insanely cheap. They have a number of 12V dual usb chargers, This being the cheapest at US$3 delivered (payment by Paypal).

Only downside is that shipping is usually a bit slow (about 2 weeks).

'Profound shock' at Professor Steven Rawlings' death

The death of an Oxford University professor has "profoundly saddened" the institution, its vice-chancellor has said.

Prof Andrew Hamilton said the entire university community was shocked at the untimely death of Steven Rawlings.

Prof Rawlings, 50, was found at a bungalow in Southmoor, Oxfordshire, on Wednesday night.

Detectives are continuing to question a 49-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder.

The emergency services were called to Laurel Drive, Southmoor, at 23:20 GMT on Wednesday by a member of the public reporting that a man had been injured at the address.

Married Prof Rawlings was declared dead at the scene.

Thames Valley Police said Prof Rawlings and the arrested man had known each other, but refused to speculate on the circumstances surrounding his death.

Police said a post-mortem examination carried out on Prof Rawlings had been unable to establish a cause of death and that further tests would be conducted.

They have said they are keeping an "open mind" about the circumstances of the academic's death.

Det Supt Rob Mason said: "We are liaising closely with Oxford University and it is apparent that he was well-respected and liked within the college and colleagues and students have been devastated by the news.

"It does appear that no-one else was present at the address and we are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with this incident."

The crime scene on Laurel Drive, Southmoor The emergency services were called to the property by a member of the public

Prof Rawlings was official fellow and tutor in physics at St Peter's College.

The academic, who was elected to his fellowship in 1994, was head of the sub-department of astrophysics at the university from 2006 to 2010.

Former BBC Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer, now master at St Peter's College, said Prof Rawlings was a "much-liked and admired tutor" who was survived by his wife, Linda.

Mr Damazer said: "He was one of the lead scientists in the international Square Kilometre Array (SKA) project and also played a prominent role in the redevelopment of the Goonhilly Satellite Earth Station in Cornwall as a radio astronomy facility."

BBC

Looks like a job for:

article-0-0062DA35000004B0-66_468x645.jpg

Â