General Chat

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm not PFE, but I've never heard of Raye.

Yeah, Raye, winner of best new artist 2024.

Raye’s album released on Polydor four years ago got to No 6.

Best new artist.

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm not PFE, but I've never heard of Raye.

You’ll have heard this song… easily the best song of last year (I guess technically late 2022 but became huge during 2023).

• Like 1

Raye is fairly solid as it goes, I suspect her new artist status is some comment on her emancipation from a restrictive record contract. A practice that a lot of the Brits committee are guilty of endorsing. 

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

You’ll have heard this song… easily the best song of last year (I guess technically late 2022 but became huge during 2023).

First time I'd heard it. Managed five seconds before I hit stop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

Never heard it before, but thats me. I don't listen to radio stations that would play it. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Never heard it before, but thats me. I don't listen to radio stations that would play it. 

Same never heard it, and it’s instantly forgettable too

(so maybe I have heard it 🤔)

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

Nope, never heard that until I just played it now. Tbh, That stuff is just not my thing and I don’t really listen to any outlets that would promote music of that ilk. So it is perfectly possible to not be aware of it.

I have no clue even as to what sub-genre of music that is, it holds zero interest for me. As it goes, it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t awful but it is rather lacking in any real hooks to keep me wanting to listen to it either. It just seems like a generic modern tune. If it was on a radio I couldn’t avoid, it would just get filtered out in my head as something I wasn’t interested in.

Anyway, the Brits aren’t awards, they are a sales pitch. Always have been

• Like 2

I listened to it. Didn’t hate it. I don’t think it’s easily the best song of 2023 (or 2022). Posted it in the new music last year but “Nothing Matters” by the last dinner party is a belter and would be my choice (but I hadn’t heard much, admittedly).

So I’m not completely removed from new music. Although all that probably should be in the music thread/new music thread/getting older thread.

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolutely crazy how the Brits music awards can be so out of tune with a bunch of middle aged blokes on a football forum.

No prizes yet again for Marillion or Bad Manners? Rigged.

Hey, "Kayleigh' is a bona fide classic! :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I listened to it. Didn’t hate it. I don’t think it’s easily the best song of 2023 (or 2022). Posted it in the new music last year but “Nothing Matters” by the last dinner party is a belter and would be my choice (but I hadn’t heard much, admittedly).

So I’m not completely removed from new music. Although all that probably should be in the music thread/new music thread/getting older thread.

I thought it had a hint of Lily Allen when the vocals started. 

I do admit I am out of touch, but have heard of some modern stars... i've done plenty of research on Dua Lipa, for example. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolutely crazy how the Brits music awards can be so out of tune with a bunch of middle aged blokes on a football forum.

Perhaps we need separate award shows for different demographics? 

Not that I care, I wouldn't bother with award shows, even if they specifically featured the genres of music I like. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Actually there are plenty of modern acts that I like and would know, but it's not the sort of music that gets into the top 5 and is played endlessly on Radio 1 so is not worthy of a Brit that seems to be fixated on pop/dance music.

I heard that Dua Lipa song the other day, Houdini. When it got to the chorus bit I was amazed she started singing a different lyric, and it wasn't even the Houdini song though it was absolutely identical in every way except the lyrics. 

It really feels like music is currently in its late 70's disco moment or early 90's europop moment and a revolution akin to Punk or Britpop needs to happen again because chart music is just identikit nonsense at the moment. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hey, "Kayleigh' is a bona fide classic! :)

It's not too late to say you're sorry for posting that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"This next artist is a great singer, but you won't hear that because they've put all these effects on their voice to sound like a munchkin, because they think that's what people want to hear."

54 minutes ago, Anthony said:

"This next artist is a great singer, but you won't hear that because they've put all these effects on their voice to sound like a munchkin, because they think that's what people want to hear."

Is it Cher? 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Actually there are plenty of modern acts that I like and would know, but it's not the sort of music that gets into the top 5 and is played endlessly on Radio 1 so is not worthy of a Brit that seems to be fixated on pop/dance music.

I heard that Dua Lipa song the other day, Houdini. When it got to the chorus bit I was amazed she started singing a different lyric, and it wasn't even the Houdini song though it was absolutely identical in every way except the lyrics. 

It really feels like music is currently in its late 70's disco moment or early 90's europop moment and a revolution akin to Punk or Britpop needs to happen again because chart music is just identikit nonsense at the moment. 

Yeah, I think I bought a couple of new records by new bands during 2023, but as mentioned up thread, I’m not sure they’d be covered by the BPI trade awards show. It’s difficult breaking in to the charts when you’ve only made 300 copies.

I knew the Raye song and I know Dua Lipa and Doja Cat and all that, but as Bicks said, it’s not offensive but it’s also not my thing, so it just passes through without really registering.

• Like 2

Chart Music, now there’s a phrase I haven’t heard for ages.

Charts, that’s something else I haven’t looked at for… decades but tbh I never really did. The only chart I ever looked at was the NME Indie Chart and I even gave up on that when it was deemed that SAW /PWL was an indie label and the chart was full of Kylie and Jason et al but even when I looked at that it was only the new entries and not the actual chart placings I looked for.

I think the last time I cared about the actual chart was when Going Underground went in at number 1 and the only reason you cared about your bands being in the charts was because it made TOTP more bearable to watch

• Like 1

Every few months Rick Beato goes through the top 10 and I can imagine us all having the same reactions.  Funnily enough the most recent one isn't that bad, he gets more and more surprised that there are actual songs in it.

• Like 2

Â