General Chat

Stevo985

On 05/02/2023 at 13:42, Tegis said:

Introduced the missus to Chat GPT and told her it can be a Dungeon-Master for D&D. I don't think I'll see her for the rest of the day.

What a impressive tool that is.

Uhm, Google better get a move on with it's Bard chatbot, because the Bing-search (dont laugh) with ChatGPT enabled is scary good and unlike the normal chatbot, this one search the web in realtime as well.

3YWE0dq.png

Question for the language scholars on here. 

What does the prefix 'para' actually mean?

Looking it up I can only see that it means 'linked to' or 'beside/beyond etc'  (i.e. parallel) which makes sense for words like parasite. 

But it links to so many different words with very varied meanings I'm struggling see how that definition links to them (parachute/paramedic/paragraph/paramilitary etc).

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone see the brits?

Had no idea it was on. I knew it was awards season so they’d be on around this time, but if you hadn’t had posted this I wouldn’t have known it had taken place. I initially assumed you meant “have you seen the nominees?” not the show itself.

The Brits used to be on during midweek didn’t they? First the champions league final, now this…

12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Question for the language scholars on here. 

What does the prefix 'para' actually mean?

Looking it up I can only see that it means 'linked to' or 'beside/beyond etc'  (i.e. parallel) which makes sense for words like parasite. 

But it links to so many different words with very varied meanings I'm struggling see how that definition links to them (parachute/paramedic/paragraph/paramilitary etc).

para- (2) word-forming element of Latin origin meaning "defense, protection against; that which protects from," from Italian para, imperative of parare "to ward off," from Latin parare "make ready" (from PIE root *pere- (1) "to produce, procure"). It figures in parachute, parasol, parapet, etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

para- (2) word-forming element of Latin origin meaning "defense, protection against; that which protects from," from Italian para, imperative of parare "to ward off," from Latin parare "make ready" (from PIE root *pere- (1) "to produce, procure"). It figures in parachute, parasol, parapet, etc.

I still feel there's more to it than this though. Take a word like paranoid or parable. How would they fit either 'protecting' from, 'being linked' to or making ready their suffix? 

Language is weird. 

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I still feel there's more to it than this though. Take a word like paranoid or parable. How would they fit either 'protecting' from, 'being linked' to or making ready their suffix? 

Language is weird. 

From Middle French parasite, from Latin parasitus, from Ancient Greek παράσιτος (parásitos, “person who eats at the table of another”), from noun use of adjective meaning "feeding beside", from παρά (pará, “beside”) + σῖτος (sîtos, “food”).

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/parasite

This is the internet, no need to wonder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone see the brits?

Apparently some song I’ve never heard from a bloke I’ve semi heard of won song of the year , some bloke who sang the  James Bond theme song  looked ridiculous and more people I’ve never heard of  were also there 

It’s hardly mooning Michael Jackson or throwing water over John Prescott but I guess it makes it official that I’ve turned into my parents and I’m a step closer to shouting at clouds  

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Apparently some song I’ve never heard from a bloke I’ve semi heard of won song of the year , some bloke who sang the  James Bond theme song  looked ridiculous and more people I’ve never heard of  were also there 

It’s hardly mooning Michael Jackson or throwing water over John Prescott but I guess it makes it official that I’ve turned into my parents and I’m a step closer to shouting at clouds  

Exactly this

I was explaining this to my two lads, the other day, surprisingly, they’ve never heard of Danbert Nobacon (or John Prescott) for that matter 

I didn’t see the Brits, but I did witness a murder.

There was a Burt Bacharach programme on, maybe BBC2? Or BBC4? Anyway, they got Sophie Ellis Baxter on stage for a rendition of I’ll never Fall In Love Again.

Seconds before the song, Burt explained / joked about the rhyming of pneumonia with never phone ya.

Sure enough, Sophie not only elected to sing the song in a strange warbly voice, she also decided on skipping the rhyme and going with pneumonia / phone yoooo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I didn’t see the Brits, but I did witness a murder.

There was a Burt Bacharach programme on, maybe BBC2? Or BBC4? Anyway, they got Sophie Ellis Baxter on stage for a rendition of I’ll never Fall In Love Again.

Seconds before the song, Burt explained / joked about the rhyming of pneumonia with never phone ya.

Sure enough, Sophie not only elected to sing the song in a strange warbly voice, she also decided on skipping the rhyme and going with pneumonia / phone yoooo.

She probably had her Norwich City pants on which are a bit too tight

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Always had a thing for that Sophie Ellis Baxter, since she sang that tune with groovejet (great holiday memories) bit geeky looking.

Whatever floats your boat. 

image.png.c97885e3119e106f5842bcfe63bbeb31.png

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Always had a thing for that Sophie Ellis Baxter, since she sang that tune with groovejet (great holiday memories) bit geeky looking.

Certainly wouldn’t kick her out of bed for farting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Seems to have turned more into a fashion show as opposed to a music event these days

Â