General Chat

Stevo985

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway.

How come, when I was in Mexico two weeks ago, it was 32 degrees and I felt like my blood was boiling it was so hot. Plus I sweated just standing still. Lying on the beach I'd be in a pool of my own sweat instantly.

Yet today, it was 32 degrees here too, yet it felt nowhere near as hot. Don't get me wrong, it's still **** hot, but I've been sat in a beer garden for the past 5 hours and I'm not drenched in sweat or anything (and it was apparently above 30 until after 7pm)

How does that work? HUmidity?

Definitely humidity. I remember Cancun and as soon as you dried yourself after a shower you were sweating again.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway.

How come, when I was in Mexico two weeks ago, it was 32 degrees and I felt like my blood was boiling it was so hot. Plus I sweated just standing still. Lying on the beach I'd be in a pool of my own sweat instantly.

Yet today, it was 32 degrees here too, yet it felt nowhere near as hot. Don't get me wrong, it's still **** hot, but I've been sat in a beer garden for the past 5 hours and I'm not drenched in sweat or anything (and it was apparently above 30 until after 7pm)

How does that work? HUmidity?

It's a valid question. I'm in Canada right now and it's 21 degrees. But it feels hot as hell. They only difference I can think of is there is hardly any wind here.

Edit: plus yes it is very humid.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Definitely humidity. I remember Cancun and as soon as you dried yourself after a shower you were sweating again.

Probably explains the sweat. It still felt hotter though.

The one day we were strolling round the shops and I was going in pretty much every shop that had air con because I couldn't bear to be outside!

Today it felt quite pleasant.

yep, relative humidity

Ever noticed on some holidays it can be hot and sunny and everything is really slowed down, but the glistening diamond drops of water from the outside of your oversized glass holding your sparkling drink roll slowly to the base and form a ring of condensation spelling out the letter C, then that mark just sits there, sits there for ages, from your drink, it stays sat on the table for ages - that's drugs that is, ease up.

• Like 2

6e2220fdbf028bc6977ae755ff89f21e.jpg

#lad

seeing as a fair chunk of people reported as executed by the NK dictatorship often turn up alive and well I'd be a little bit weary of taking South Korean propaganda at face value

it was the phrase 'designer of new airport' that upset me the most

closely followed by a deep concern for that combination of signal and battery

yeah, I'm disinclined to bother believing most of what the media has to say about North Korea 

Heading to Canterbury for work today

7 miles from Canterbury and sat nav said I'd arrive at 7:30 so pulled into services and grabbed a coffee ... Rejoined m2 ... Multi car pile up and m2 is now shut not moved in 45 mins ... D'oh

Swindon, Reading, Clapham for me today - Rochester, Sheppey tomorrow.

I've warned them all that tomorrow I'll start as early as they want, they want me on a roof at 6:30am, I'll be there, but regardless what stage any meeting is at, I'm leaving at 12 noon. I have no intention of trying to use the M25 after lunch on a Friday in July.

Probably explains the sweat. It still felt hotter though.

The one day we were strolling round the shops and I was going in pretty much every shop that had air con because I couldn't bear to be outside!

Today it felt quite pleasant.

The higher the humidity the less exposed your sweat glands are, this means that you can't sweat because the level of humidity in the air blocks the glands, as you can't sweat you can't cool down.

Then you're saying Mexico had low humidity, because I was sweating like a blind lesbian on a trawler.

I think direct sunlight has an affect on how pleasant a temperature can be too.  On a previous holiday I couldn't stick Mallorca because even though it was only 31 or 32, it was like someone was using a magnifying glass to focus the sun on my head (I even had hair back then), whereas as sweaty as Cancun was, it was higher than 32 and I could stick that no problem because it wasn't as burny*.

*technical term.

I googled it.

High Humidity means you feel hotter because your sweat doesn't evaporate as quickly and therefore doesn't cool you down as much.

Therefore higher humidity makes it feel hotter.

Mexico is more humid than the UK (well Cancun is) so therefore it feels hotter.

EVAPORATIVE COOLING FTW.

poor doggies, they only have their tongues which cool them... WITH EVAPORATIVE COOLING.

Thank you mr air conditioning expert, for giving us EVAPORATIVE COOLING!

I feel sorry for people that work in kitchens/chip shops today.

My house was cooler when we shut the windows than it was with them open.

I cut the lawn and spring cleaned the living room. Chillin' now with the littl'un.

I work in a bakery and it was very, very hot but it doesn't really effect me. I reckon I'm cold blooded, I could happily lie in the sun doing bugger all like a 150 year old crocodile. Between October and May my hands are constantly purple from the cold so I enjoy the heat when I can.

EVAPORATIVE COOLING FTW.

poor doggies, they only have their tongues which cool them... WITH EVAPORATIVE COOLING.

Thank you mr air conditioning expert, for giving us EVAPORATIVE COOLING!

I love doggies.

Come to Singapore  :thumb:

Do they have assisted showering?

Is it me or are we getting a hell of a lot of threads that are extremely similar to each other just lately, I'm half expecting a thread to pop up titled 'Things that are not cool' or 'What did I just not see?'

Not a complaint more an observation

Â