General Chat

Stevo985

A couple of my friends are part time doctors (by part time I mean they've elected to do reduced hours as a life style choice, not that they're happy amateurs or anything). As sad as it is to report this, they both say that a day in a GP surgery can be a long line of the lonely, the literally unwashed, and people hoping their cold is actually a new strain of flu with the two killer symptoms: a sniff and a bit of an ache.

But, it can also save a life when somebody comes in with an early symptom and it's spotted diagnosed and dealt with. So it would be spectacularly difficult to weed out the timewasters. It would be particularly difficult to use a £5 charge as the filter. People in work will happily pay £5 to queue jump the diagnosis of their cold. People that don't have £5 would end up exempt anyway.

But there is a problem there.

What's the problem?

The problem isn't a problem if we accept that we are paying doctors £70,000 / £80,000 per annum and the majority of every day is spent telling people they have a cold, listening to the elderly and filling in key performance indicator charts. There aren't enough doctors willing to become GP's because the work is not exactly the sexy end of the profession and they are getting more and more 'targets', longer and longer hours and being expected to be office managers and social workers.

A surgery of 4 or 5 doctors, each one earning around £35 / £40 per hour to listen to the elderly. Down the road, in the local care home, the library or the sheltered accommodation, that same task is valued at £6.50 per hour.

Meanwhile mid twenties office man can't get in to the doctors for 3 or 4 days about his twisted knee, so he troops off to A&E and the government are considering chucking another £20k at doctors to persuade them to open early and Saturdays.

I'm not offering any easy solution here, or peddling a political point of view. Just repeating what I'm hearing. Personally, I haven't been in to the doctors surgery as a punter for about 3 years.

Well turns out my doctor is a bit of a hotty , got my referral letter and then she asked if there was anything else she could help with

I was torn between doing my Roger Moore voice and saying " well I'm tempted to say yes already " or telling her I was worried about the size of my testicles and could she check them

But opted for a polite no im good thank you and made my exit

Saying that .... I sneezed this morning and it's probably best to get the doc to check it out ... You know just to be on the safe side

ha ha!

I took my man bits to the doctor's a few years ago (the end kept getting caught between my knees when I walked fast). On arrival it turned out the doctor was female and 40 ish. She asked if I was ok with a female doctor looking at my junk and I said 'yeah, you're a doctor, it's not like you're a normal woman'.

She wasn't overly impressed with my logic and said somebody else might have found it mildly offensive. I decided to leave the conversation there rather than explain it was my attempt at an erection avoidance strategy. 

• Like 1

That's why we shouldn't go to Mars, already wrecked one planet.

Yeah, if we went to Mars we'd just end up killing all the big cats up there.

Either that or the marsupials...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

It sure would have been better of without us, after we're gone I'm sure it'll slowly recuperate.

No way man, if humanity is going down I'm taking all those bastard cats with me.

Cats suck. Let's leave the planet to the apes, that worked out pretty well in that one movie.

It sure would have been better of without us, after we're gone I'm sure it'll slowly recuperate.

No way man, if humanity is going down I'm taking all those bastard cats with me.

Cats suck. Let's leave the planet to the apes, that worked out pretty well in that one movie.

Dunston Checks In?

• Like 2

Â