General Chat

Stevo985

I seem to be watching less and less football recently. I used to watch all sorts, different leagues, whatever. Other sports too. Not so much now. Getting a bit tired of it, if I'm honest.

You need some Welsh League Division 3 in your life, or to be precise, the games that Shaun Hicks is reffing. Currently averaging 4 sending offs per game, his next match is a grudge match between the two most 'robust' teams in the league.

Given that Bombay is now called Mumbai, shouldn't the Indian film industry be called "Mummywood"?

My mother in law is from India, she is from Surat, a city of about 5m people nobody has ever heard of which is 200 miles north of Mumbai. She still calls Mumbai "Bombay" as do all of the family. I don't know how many people still call it Bombay in India, but I would imagine it is a sizeable number.

My local curry houses all serve Bombay duck and Bombay potatos

Not one of them sell Mumbai duck

Looks like British Bulldog.

That was banned at our school for a while.

They didn't care about violence or 'health and safety' (thankfully) but they were mightily concerned with the muddy mess we made of our clothes.

Edit: Having seen the post a couple below, I have to admit that, whilst the game was very much the same, the surface on which we played it was very middle class (a giant lawn). :blush:

Edited by snowychap

havent they banned british bulldog? or is that another bit of "twas better in my day lad" bollocks?

can remember sliding across the playground on my face after being tagged in the back when i was about 6, played it again the day after... i think i got home and got a slap for ripping my trousers

• Like 1

What really caused a lot of quite bitter fighting at primary school was when Weetos were giving away a red / yellow card toy around the time of Euro 2000 I believe.

One kid would decide to show another the yellow and all hell would brake loose.

I was responsible for football scarves being banned at my school .. I invented a cross of bulldog that involved tying a knot on the end of your scarf and whacking the people with the scarf as they ran end to end ... We played North v South which surprisingly for a school in Surrey we struggled to get many south supporting teams to the point that villa had to become a southern team ...

Needless to say the headmaster didn't approve and banned football scarves the next day

What really caused a lot of quite bitter fighting at primary school was when Weetos were giving away a red / yellow card toy around the time of Euro 2000 I believe.

One kid would decide to show another the yellow and all hell would brake loose.

You've just reminded me of the time a kid at primary school brought in a yellow and red card and he showed me a red for tackling him. I cried.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 2

British Bulldog was indeed banned. Although we called it something else, I can't remember what, but the term 'British' was certainly not used.

By the end of school, all physical activity had been effectively ruled out due to Health and Safety. Vending machines were a thing of the past. We couldn't eat nuts. We couldn't leave the school to get a bite to eat.

Madness.

We only played British Bulldog at footy training (Aussie rules).

As when I played i'd had my growth spurt and most kids hadn't, they'd leave me alone until the end when they could afford to have 4 or 5 of them taking me down.

If I started in the middle i'd just tackle the next biggest dudes in order and the game would be over very quickly.

I think I can beat this.

I got cricket bats banned from the playground at my school, because in the process of slogging one for a six, I caught a year 7 square in the face which knocked him out cold, gave him a seizure and he had to be rushed to hospital where he nearly died.

Felt pretty bad about that.

Â