General Chat

Stevo985

From what I recall, brain cells don't regenerate. 

But they do something even cleverer - they can reassign their functions from damaged ones to good ones. It's why keeping your mind active in old age staves off the effects of dementia. 

He said, hopefully. 

Question that will likely go unanswered #1: does anyone know any good articles (etc.) about cell regeneration, 'specially in the brain?

Pharmacologically many of the drugs that slow cerebral entropy are referred to as Nootropic.

Is it more stem cell research you're interested in?

I should have said the lack of regeneration in the brain, as in the difference between blood/skin cells that regenerate/replace themselves and brain cells that don't.

Drinking alcohol kills off the slower brain cells. What's left is a leaner more efficient brain. True story. Kinda.

Is it all something to with Apoptosis? Maybe the lack of regeneration is some sort of safe guard against tumors? 

Apparently it (regeneration/replacement) just does more harm than good. The brain is complex and regeneration would cause too many potential problems. Although, from what I've seen, some studies suggest it does happen in animals and possibly in humans but there isn't enough evidence to suggest the latter. You seem to reach a certain point after birth and your brain closes up shop and you're left with what you've got for life - which is why plasticity is important.

Although could new cells be put in via external processes? Probably been tried already (stem cell research all that).

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Is it all something to with Apoptosis? Maybe the lack of regeneration is some sort of safe guard against tumors? 

Apparently it (regeneration/replacement) just does more harm than good. The brain is complex and regeneration would cause too many potential problems. Although, from what I've seen, some studies suggest it does happen in animals and possibly in humans but there isn't enough evidence to suggest the latter. You seem to reach a certain point after birth and your brain closes up shop and you're left with what you've got for life - which is why plasticity is important.

Although could new cells be put in via external processes? Probably been tried already (stem cell research all that).

Yeah I think after certain point the brain kills a load of neurons as well (a form of apoptosis) if I've read up correctly I think it basically kills of all the ones it thinks you don't need, for example I've read that very young children are able distinguish between Chimpanzees in the same way we would distinguish between different humans, but this gets lost after a certain age when Apoptosis as occurred. So I guess it must have some reason for keeping a lid on everything.

I wouldn't know about adding foreign foreign cells, I guess that has something to do with embryonic stem cells as you mention.

Has anyone used Gumtree before? Do I just pay however I want (Paypal?)

What happens if I pay, but they don't send the item, how well protected am I?

Not at all. Paypal do not inclined to help you with anything if it wasn't bought on ebay (and they're still shit even then), combine that with the number of con artists on Gumtree and you may as well just throw your money in the bin.

There are probably some genuine deals on there, but it's the easiest place online to get scammed.

Edited by Davkaus

Has anyone used Gumtree before? Do I just pay however I want (Paypal?)

What happens if I pay, but they don't send the item, how well protected am I?

Not at all. Paypal do not inclined to help you with anything if it wasn't bought on ebay (and they're still shit even then), combine that with the number of con artists on Gumtree and you may as well just throw your money in the bin.

There are probably some genuine deals on there, but it's the easiest place online to get scammed.

I've read that you are covered if you say you are paying for goods?

I should have said the lack of regeneration in the brain, as in the difference between blood/skin cells that regenerate/replace themselves and brain cells that don't.

Drinking alcohol kills off the slower brain cells. What's left is a leaner more efficient brain. True story. Kinda.
I thought drinking killed male brain cells leaving female ones intact

And explains why after 10 pints I can't park my car on the drive without taking out my garden wall

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I found a van on gumtree a few months ago, looked a very good deal, listed as being in Oldbury, then found the exact same van, same picture, same description on 3 other websites, with 3 different locations for it

Â