PL: Wolves a 2009/10/24 Ratings and Reactions

limpid

Where did I say Villa played well today?

:? :? You said we played better than we did against Chelsea. A game where most people agreed we played very well indeed. Of course you are entitled to believe we didn't play well in either game if you want, which seems to be what you are saying.

You said we played better than we did against Chelsea.
Exactly, which is totally different from saying that we played well. I'm comparing against a game where we hardly touched the ball.

A game where most people agreed we played very well indeed.
The defence played well without doubt and we scored on 2 set pieces. I'd be interested to hear from those who can distinguish between playing well and getting a good result as to whether they think we played well against Chelsea.
Of course you are entitled to believe we didn't play well in either game if you want, which seems to be what you are saying.
It's exactly what I am saying. And today when we didn't manage to score from a set piece we were found out by a very average team, not for the first time this season and not for the last. But people can keep deluding themselves that we're actually playing well because we got a few headers against a CL-tired Chelsea.

we were miles better against chelsea. we played football then and created chances. today we were rubbish. I cannot see how today we were anywhere close to Chelsea. And it's nowt to do with the result. We just were poor most of the day :s

But people can keep deluding themselves that we're actually playing well because we got a few headers against a CL-tired Chelsea.

Well Chelsea weren't CL tired firstly and secondly defending is a part of playing well.

I didn't think we defended particularly well today which affected the rest of the team especially midfield. Against Chelsea the ball was passed out of defence, not always but, more than it was today.

Got dates mixed up, all of their 11 players were on international duty the few days before. Not CL. And I'm not saying defending isn't part of playing well, I acknowledged that we defended well and our defenders even scored our goals for us too, which was just as well. Because, my main point is that at the moment, with the ball, from open play, we struggle to break down even the worst teams in the league and until that changes we will be woefully inconsistent.

The defence played well without doubt and we scored on 2 set pieces. I'd be interested to hear from those who can distinguish between playing well and getting a good result as to whether they think we played well against Chelsea.

I know what your main point is and I still fully agree we need to show more in open in play.

But why don't you think set pieces are part of a football game? Playing well in set pieces is part of playing well overall. Or would you say we were brilliant if we kept the ball and scored a couple and then conceded 5 from corners?

I never said set pieces are not part of football. What I did say is they wont work in every game. And for us at the moment, when they don't work, that means we'll be shit (like today) more regularly than we'd like. We're losing to Wigan and Blackburn & drawing with Wolves then beating teams like Liverpool and Chelsea. Until we can regularly string passes together and open teams up AS WELL AS scoring set pieces then we are destined to do nothing of note this season.

I never said set pieces are not part of football. What I did say is they wont work in every game. And for us at the moment, when they don't work, that means we'll be shit (like today) more regularly than we'd like. We're losing to Wigan and Blackburn & drawing with Wolves then beating teams like Liverpool and Chelsea. Until we can regularly string passes together and open teams up AS WELL AS scoring set pieces then we are destined to do nothing of note this season.

Yes I got all that already, but you seemed to imply that we were shit against Chelsea because we only scored from set pieces as if those didn't matter. Comparing to today we had some good open play attacks vs them too especially considering how difficult Chelsea is to play against IMO.

We really miss the creative energy that GB brought to our center midfield. Its tough for young to impress when he consistently receives the ball at the halfway line and not deeper in our opponents half. Also Young has to beat two guys regularly just to get off a cross since teams are now shading there defense to his half since they dont have to worry about any attack coming through the center.

Oh and the Wolves game we just didn't come to play. The fact that we played that poorly and still almost won means something right. I think this draw will have the boys good and fired up going into Goodison next weekend.

Fair result.

My problems with todays match was with the players. MON got it right played the same team for a 3rd game running, so there was no qualms about formation. But today the players didnt want it enough. In the final third we didnt create enough. Gabby n Carew, Milner n Young should of have a field day against the players they were up against but they stubblmed at the last hurdle each time.

i watched it thinking 'what changes can we make?' then hesky came on, but we didnt play to his strengths or even play him the ball. Everytime we failed in that last third.

Overall i will not worry as Wolves were worthy point winners and we will move onwards and upwards from this

UTV!!!!!

typical villa...

i cant speak for wolves, but we did not turn up at all, and it was an abysmal game...

some shocking performances all over the pitch...

definate pen for wolves... both clubs were denied a definate pen in the first half from inept officials...

a dire game that really didnt do anything to help make me feel better from my swine flu...

This was always going to be a tough one, them being newly promoted, playing Villa at their ground...but we still had three points wrapped up.

I can't stand these late game capitulations that we've seen so much of the last three years.

The women behind me at the match summed it up , when we got the ball down and played which was mainly in the second half Wolves looked decidedly average and the one time we managed to get the ball beyond the first defender we managed to score , we didnt trouble Wolves enough as an attacking sense , that said we still could of been 1 nil up after litterally 40 seconds

I personally thought Carew looked totally out if the game , Young didnt look interested till the second half , How many times did Sidwell loose his footing and nearly cost us , i have to say i would of started this match playin 4-5-1 and fustrated the hell out of them , but we didnt and Wolves took the upper hand in the first half

I am pleased we didnt loose but having said that a win would of been brilliant and put us right in the top pack

Was it me or did their pitch look really small??? I'm sure they reduced the size of the pitch for us (both in width and length as there was plenty of spare turf between the white lines and the stands) which could be a reason as to why we didn't perform as well as we could have done....

Excuse aside - we didn't deserve the win, neither did they - a draw was a fair result (and not the end of the world as some predict!)

Was it me or did their pitch look really small??? I'm sure they reduced the size of the pitch for us (both in width and length as there was plenty of spare turf between the white lines and the stands) which could be a reason as to why we didn't perform as well as we could have done....

they have made the pitch smaller, but i dont think they can do that before a specific match... has to be done before the season kicks off, i think...

totti, that is always the case with us... when we play it along the deck, and attack with pace, we always look a better side... when we start to hoof it, we look decidedly average... it frustrates me that our strength is our pacy attacking on the deck, and we look so good when doing this, yet we change it when we dont need to... especially when we are leading, we try and protect the slim lead we have, and invite teams back onto us, instead of using what got us into the strong position in the first place...

we will never be able to compete properly, while we lack the ambition and a (word that means nasty) streak of teams like man utd, etc, who always try and get one more to kill off games...

Warnock was our best player in my view and one of the only ones who turned up in the first half because for the first 45 we were terrible while Carew was terrible full stop.

If Heskey had put in a performance like that he would likely have been booed off and hammered on here it was totally devoid of any effort.