PL: Wolves a 2009/10/24 Ratings and Reactions

limpid

Lets hope Downing is the missing piece in the puzzle regarding dire need of creativity in the middle of the pitch.

Once we have Downing back - I just wish MON would play a formation like this on a regular basis:

Friedel

L.Young - Collins - Dunne - Warnock

Coker - Petrov

Milner - A.Young - Downing

Agbonlahor

Just watched it....disappointing effort there, really. Our two needs were so obvious today: a creative midfielder and a lethal sriker. Carew looks like he'd rather be playing checkers.

I don't think it's a 'suddenly' thing to be honest sled. We've seen this kind of performance a few times this season - Wigan, Blackburn - and we weren't exactly great to watch against Portsmouth.

What teams play brilliant every single game?

Didn't say there were teams that did, did I? I may have done in your head though, you do seem to read what you want to read, rather than what's been said sometimes.

The teams that play brilliant *most games* are the ones that are in the top of the league. I think you'd agree too - having just said if we were more consistent (and I'm presuming you mean consistent with the Chelsea, Liverpool performance, not the Wolves, Wigan etc performance) then we'd be in the top four.

Unfortunately, we are not good enough to be that. But I'd rather be beating Chelsea and Liverpool and putting these crap performances against Wolves, Wigan etc than the other way around.

Its actually difficult to believe that a Premiership club has 1 real striker :lol:

I'm not getting at anybody or sh*t stirring, not being negative or over reacting to the game.... just making a real point.

Heskey well!!!what can you say.

Carew has for the present moment gone on holiday for a well earned rest because he's definitely not on the pitch.

Delf: you can't really bring him into the equation.

So 1 front man Gabriel Agbonlahor.

I said 1-1 in the pre match thread, i said we struggle to create anything from open play and they're rubbish and i was right.

Thank christ we've got our centre halves, if we'd had Davies playing we'd have lost today.

Steve Sidwell is abysmal.

Ashley Young is a cheat and is the most overrated player in the league.

Carew doesn't look interested.

Friedel - 7 delt with what he had to do fairly easily

Warnock -6 nothing brilliant, few good tackles, few crap ones too

Cuellar - 7 calm and did his job well

Dunne - 5 thought he was crap today, looked fragile

Collins - 6 Did ok, caught out position once or twice

Young - 2 Terrible, his worse ever performance, he has got to start taking people on again and get some new shooting boots, can't wait for Downing now....

Milner -7 Huffed and puffed, tried his best and was all over the park again, one man attacking force....

Sidwell - 5 Would love to see Delph or Reo Coker given a shot, Sidwell just isin't doing it for me

Petrov - 6 did the little bits ok nothing great

Carew -3 like Young Terrible

Gabby -6 Took his goal well, scuffed 2 chances

Its odd how our 2 most likely sources of goals last year, Young and Carew have been by far our worse regular starters this year, and today proved no different, The Fonz and Albrighton would of been much more entertaining........

I guess this was a game which just shows how far away we are from being a team who will compete for trophies. We are shockingly bad at any offensive open play and are totally bereft of ideas on how to break a stubborn defence down. I actually thought that this game would be ideal for Delph to show his wares, but to do that he must be given an opportunity within the proper formation. Our manager saw fit not to give Delph that opportunity, even against a very poor team such as Wolves.

So it was left again to the completely out of form and teacher's pet, Ashley Young and the industrious James Milner to provide the creative outlet. We struggled and we struggled badly. When is our manager going to learn that when a player is out of form, or is not trying, such as Carew, then he must drop those players in preference to those players on the bench who are itching to get a game. Young, Carew and Sidwell must make way for Albrighton, Delfonz/Heskey and Delph for our next game and beyond. Young and Carew are a shadow of the players they were last season and O'Neill should take action now, or he will lose respect from fans and players alike!

I have continually stated that our type of play is too one dimensional and too predicable due to the players that we have. It is not their fault that they can't create, because, simply, they are not creative players. The fault lies soley with our manager who has spent a fortune on a squad without flare and creativity. Yes Ashley Young can sometimes do the unexpected, but Premiership defenders are now aware of his limited tricks and his threat has been nulified to such an extend that it has affected his confidence and consequently even his delivery is suffering. How many more overhit crosses Ashley? James Milner although always giving 100%, is being asked to do too much work in defence which is also nulifying the limited creativity he possess!!

Sorry for the spelling here but Wolves brought on Miljas, a player who we were linked to in the summer and it just shows you the benefit of having a creatve midfielder, because when he came on we actually saw some quality offensive passing for the first time in the game. I'm actually glad Mick didn't play him from the start, or we might have left with nothing from the game!

A very, very poor performance from us and although the January transfer window can't come soon enough, will O'Neill bring in the creative midfielder and Quality striker we need? Or, is O'Neill just blinded by the obvious?

Sorry for the spelling here but Wolves brought on Miljas, a player who we were linked to in the summer and it just shows you the benefit of having a creatve midfielder, because when he came on we actually saw some quality offensive passing for the first time in the game.

Never noticed him and all they did at the end was long throws?

Hello all,

im new here (see introduction).

As a dutch lion i almost see all games via TV.

This away game is nothing different then the previous ones; Blackburn,Bluenoses,even Liverpool (!).

By far the strongest part is centre defense (Dunn/Collins). Especially Collins seems an good signing.

Midfield is just not good enough; watching the names: Petrov and Milner should be level top5 Premier leaugue. Young fully off form and Gabby just gets the ball too far from opponent goal.

I agree with Sting's post. Good at the back, very poor in attacking game.

This Villa is not 50% as good as last year.

How coms? Cant imagine we miss Barry that much........................

cheers

I'm not happy with turning it n against Liverpool , Man City and Chelsea and not turning up for games like this. Very poor today. If Heskey played as badly as Carew did today he'd get slaughtered.

i was saying this all the way through the game (very quietly mind as i was in the wolves end!) Also think our game changed when Heskey came on we looked threatening and he played well, a bright note from Emile for me as he gets far too much stick compared to big John whos been a passenger most of the season.

Sidwell is poor dont understand what he brings to the team and surely today would have been ideal for Nigel to stamp some authority on the game, Henry for them was fantastic. We lost the midfield battle something we dont normally do in derbys.

Personally in these kind of matches i prefer 4-5-1 (if away) as it leaves us an option to change shape later on with another striker.

Finally thank god for Gabby, some of the stick he got on here last year was atrocious, but hes playing some great football at the moment and scoring freely.

Against a team which is going to relegate with ease.

Nah.

Wolves are decent going forward and I think they'll finish higher than SHA, Hull and Pompey to name three by the end of the season.

Tbh today wasn't much different in how we play at SHA but we couldn't nick the win to mask over another poor performance.

Disappointing but Stoke winning at Spurs shows how competitive the league is at the minute, we'll still be in the mix for top 6 throughout the season.

Defence came back well after looking shaky in the first 15 minutes and while it's incredibly frustrating watch Carew and Young at the moment, at least Gabby is looking like this will be the season he gets close to 20 league goals.

Big problem is Petrov's partner. We badly need a creative player alongside him. Sidwell just isn't good enough although this record we have of hardly ever losing when he plays is incredible.

Given I expect NRC to go in January, we'll need another central midfielder in the squad. I pray MON dosen't go for just a squad player or another runner, we badly needed someone who can pick a pass and slow the game down on occasions. Petrov can do it but not all the time.

our inability to beat weaker sides will cost us a top 6 finish imo cant afford to drop points with added competition from man city and spurs this season

But Spurs drew at Bolton recently and lost today at home to Stoke while City drew at Wigan so I do think it's knee jerk to just say becasue we can't win anyway at Wolves we won't finish in the top 6 as these sorts of results do actually happen to other teams.

We'll still get 60 + points this season but this time more home wins than away.

Against a team which is going to relegate with ease.

Nah.

Wolves are decent going forward and I think they'll finish higher than SHA, Hull and Pompey to name three by the end of the season.

Tbh today wasn't much different in how we play at SHA but we couldn't nick the win to mask over another poor performance.

Disappointing but Stoke winning at Spurs shows how competitive the league is at the minute, we'll still be in the mix for top 6 throughout the season.

Defence came back well after looking shaky in the first 15 minutes and while it's incredibly frustrating watch Carew and Young at the moment, at least Gabby is looking like this will be the season he gets close to 20 league goals.

Big problem is Petrov's partner. We badly need a creative player alongside him. Sidwell just isn't good enough although this record we have of hardly ever losing when he plays is incredible.

Given I expect NRC to go in January, we'll need another central midfielder in the squad. I pray MON dosen't go for just a squad player or another runner, we badly needed someone who can pick a pass and slow the game down on occasions. Petrov can do it but not all the time.

Good post. Due the fact that MON will not commit to saying where he will play him (his current position is obviously on the left wing), I'm fairly sure that we'll see Downing in central midfield. I'd be willing to put money on it actually.

He's no Riquelme but Downing is a tidy player and has certainly got a lot more creativity to his game than Sidwell. As a result, I doubt we'll sign the 'creative' midfielder that is often mentioned.

Astonishing. We play better today than we did against Chelsea but today was somehow 'poor'?

Christ, I think I know now who nicked ClaretMahoney's drugs! Played better today than we did against Chelsea? That's as mental a statement as I've ever read on VT.

So good result=play good, bad result = play bad. Is that it?

Astonishing. We play better today than we did against Chelsea but today was somehow 'poor'?

Christ, I think I know now who nicked ClaretMahoney's drugs! Played better today than we did against Chelsea? That's as mental a statement as I've ever read on VT.

So good result=play good, bad result = play bad. Is that it?

We played poor today with an improved performance in the 2nd half. I'd almost always take a draw away from home but we did not play well. How can you say we did? 4 of our front 6 were off form.