PL: Wolves a 2009/10/24 Ratings and Reactions

limpid

Ratings for me:

Friedel - 7

Didn't have too much to do, looked pretty solid under a reign of Wolves corners and remained assured in the second half with the sun in his eyes. Couldn't have really done much about the penalty.

Cuéllar - 6

Decent defensive game, but doesn't offer us the same attacking element as Warnock does at left-back. Can't really blame him for this as he is, of course, a central defender. None of Collins, Dunne or Cuéllar deserve to lose their place, but I think I'd like to see Luke Young back in the team when he's ready so Carlos may need to be dropped.

Dunne - 7

Another solid game from the Irishman, unlucky not to keep another clean sheet in the end but could have arguably given away an early penalty. Good leadership qualities at the back, though, and menacing going forwards (although not as much as in recent games).

Collins - 8

Very good performance from The Undertaker. Looks assured and composed at the back, gives it his all and doesn't really panic.

Warnock - 6

Some good moments mixed with poorer moments today from Warnock. I think he got forward well but his defending was occassionally a bit suspect. I'd still much rather see him playing than Shorey, though, and I think he'll improve over the season.

Milner - 8

Typical committed performance from Yorkshire Jimmy. Got around very well and was in the right place to clear off the line. Unfortunately, I think towards the end of the game he didn't control the ball very well and he misplaced a few crosses, which took away from an otherwise good performance.

Petrov - 5

Not enough effort today from the captain. The game passed him by and he didn't seem to make too much effort to get into it. That said, he did sometimes take up good positions only to see the ball go over his head. However, once again when he did have the ball, we saw many more backwards and sideways passes than incisive through balls - yet the frequent lack of movement up front probably didn't help.

Sidwell - 5

Could have had a goal if Dunne wouldn't have been in the way, but also gave away a penalty with a fairly poor challenge. I think he may be seen as a bit of a scapegoat but doesn't deserve this as he took up some decent positions on the edge of the box - he could really do with a goal and hopefully he'll get one sooner rather than later. Did lose the ball a few times though, and played some frustratingly poor passes.

Young - 5

Disappointing by his standards, as he has been so many times this season. Good ball to set off the attack for our goal, though.

Carew - 5

Could have given him a much lower rating, but he did improve in the second half. Very poor first half though. He just doesn't look particularly fired up for games any more. Lazy?

Agbonlahor - 8

Got about well and would have provided more for Carew if Big John would have been more bothered. Didn't do as well when he was pushed out on to the right against the giant Elokobi, but despite a few tame shots (he was in the right place, though) he played a good game and grabbed what was almost our winner.

Heskey - 6

Always looks sluggish and tired to me - even when he's just come on - although I guess that's just his style of play and us Villa fans prefer our players when they're constantly running their socks off. Got the assist though and maybe deserves to start ahead of Carew.

I'm giving you 10 for such a professional summing up, do you play football as well as you do a rating,

Ratings for me:

Friedel - 7

Didn't have too much to do, looked pretty solid under a reign of Wolves corners and remained assured in the second half with the sun in his eyes. Couldn't have really done much about the penalty.

Cuéllar - 6

Decent defensive game, but doesn't offer us the same attacking element as Warnock does at left-back. Can't really blame him for this as he is, of course, a central defender. None of Collins, Dunne or Cuéllar deserve to lose their place, but I think I'd like to see Luke Young back in the team when he's ready so Carlos may need to be dropped.

Dunne - 7

Another solid game from the Irishman, unlucky not to keep another clean sheet in the end but could have arguably given away an early penalty. Good leadership qualities at the back, though, and menacing going forwards (although not as much as in recent games).

Collins - 8

Very good performance from The Undertaker. Looks assured and composed at the back, gives it his all and doesn't really panic.

Warnock - 6

Some good moments mixed with poorer moments today from Warnock. I think he got forward well but his defending was occassionally a bit suspect. I'd still much rather see him playing than Shorey, though, and I think he'll improve over the season.

Milner - 8

Typical committed performance from Yorkshire Jimmy. Got around very well and was in the right place to clear off the line. Unfortunately, I think towards the end of the game he didn't control the ball very well and he misplaced a few crosses, which took away from an otherwise good performance.

Petrov - 5

Not enough effort today from the captain. The game passed him by and he didn't seem to make too much effort to get into it. That said, he did sometimes take up good positions only to see the ball go over his head. However, once again when he did have the ball, we saw many more backwards and sideways passes than incisive through balls - yet the frequent lack of movement up front probably didn't help.

Sidwell - 5

Could have had a goal if Dunne wouldn't have been in the way, but also gave away a penalty with a fairly poor challenge. I think he may be seen as a bit of a scapegoat but doesn't deserve this as he took up some decent positions on the edge of the box - he could really do with a goal and hopefully he'll get one sooner rather than later. Did lose the ball a few times though, and played some frustratingly poor passes.

Young - 5

Disappointing by his standards, as he has been so many times this season. Good ball to set off the attack for our goal, though.

Carew - 5

Could have given him a much lower rating, but he did improve in the second half. Very poor first half though. He just doesn't look particularly fired up for games any more. Lazy?

Agbonlahor - 8

Got about well and would have provided more for Carew if Big John would have been more bothered. Didn't do as well when he was pushed out on to the right against the giant Elokobi, but despite a few tame shots (he was in the right place, though) he played a good game and grabbed what was almost our winner.

Heskey - 6

Always looks sluggish and tired to me - even when he's just come on - although I guess that's just his style of play and us Villa fans prefer our players when they're constantly running their socks off. Got the assist though and maybe deserves to start ahead of Carew.

I'm giving you 10 for such a professional summing up, do you play football as well as you do a rating,

Agree with this, although Heskey deserves a 7 for me, his contribution was far greater to Carew's and set up a goal.

some of these reactions are unbelievable you think we lost this one 4 or 5 nil! first half we wasnt that good but gabby should have scored in first few minutes. i though sidwell was absoutely hopeless. not only was the challenge for the penalty dreadful he lost the ball how many times? he was dire today opposite from last week. also though ash youngs crossing was uselesss today. dont know whats wrong with him.

i have to say warnock was my motm, he was terrific. i am really pleased with this signing. also felt milner and cuellar played very well. everyone else was average

I thought Milner, Gabby, Warnock and Collins had good games. Sidwell was dire, not because of the penalty because of him giving the ball away on numerous occasions near our box.

Carew was woeful and this really disappoints me it's a good job that Gabby is doing what's asked of him.

We always knew that the game was going to be a scrappy not nice affair and I don't think our lads expect that, they prefer playing against the bigger teams where it may be easier for us to break down play. As people have said before it as if they only want to turn up for the big games but they really need to be turning up for every game.

If we had a bit of composure & nouse up forward we may have scored 3-4. I can't believe the amount of times we butcher easy chances for crosses or shots. Big problem is apart from Gabby pretty much every player who is expected to contribute goals is very much out of form.

I think Carew is being harshly bagged out here. I thought he was pretty important for us and made several very good flick-ons etc.

And I love James Milner for his heart and workrate but unfortunately he couldn't hit a Hippo's arse with a banjo at the moment and much of his hard work gets flushed down the toilet.

I just think it's ironic that in pre-season MON was saying we had no troubles scoring goals but just couldn't keep them out, but I think it's the complete opposite now.

Oh, and the ref was a complete word removed.

Defensively we were fine.

Did Friedel even make a save apart from the 3rd minute?

Thought we looked quite vulnerable from set pieces. Dunne and Collins werent winning everything in the air unlike the Chelsea match

We haven't played well all season apart from the 2 games against Chelsea and Liverpool, yet we're still doing well.

Lets hope it doesn't become and issue and we look like a team that can create from outfield play and not solely relying on set pieces.

If we dont, it will surely come back to bite us on the arse!

what a boring game.

i don't think you can ever refuse a point away from home, but i really do think that was two points dropped.

if we are serious about finishing in the top 4/5 of the league we need to start creating more chances from open play. imo sidwell does not contribute enough to warrant a first team place and when downing is fit i can see him eventually taking his place.

mon's untouchables (young and carew) need to be dropped and give a chance to someone else.

its annoying coming off the back of a good result against chelsea to play so badly, the annoying this is our problems were obvious, keep knocking the ball long to carew to knock down to gabby, who was immediatly crowded out and couldnt move, instead of utilising our pace against a very slow wolves backline, gabby would leave elikobi for dead yet didnt even get the chance to run at him cus all the balls were hoofed up for our usuall attack. we still dont have the ability to open teams up who are defending (something we have struggled to do for some time now). mayby downing will give us that little bit more but sidwell still leaves me disapointed because he is a good player, like he showed against chelsea, but goes missing for long periods leaving petrov with to much to do in the middle. at the back we are without a doubt one of the strongest sides in the league, still think Cuellar could do a better job in the middle with Young at RB though.

We weren't at our best today but still looked more threatening.

Wolves scored with what seemed like their only attack of the 2nd half.

The defense were solid. I'm giving MOTM to Cuellar. I'm a big fan of Luke Young but you cannot drop Cuellar when he is playing this well.

Thanks to Dudley Villa for the ticket :thumb:

Poor performance. Today reiterated the lack of quality we have in the middle. we never have shots on goal, work the keeper nor do we play at a pace that is threatning, we are too slow on the ball and this gives the other team team chance to get back, and we so predictable.

And WTF is going on with crosses, they either go short or row z, get it sorted especiall as we rely heavily on crosses. Some players do need to be dropped imo, Young (offers nothing these days, doesn't beat a player cant cross for shit) Carew (uninterested, lazy.....etc) Sidwell (runs arround like headless chicken, doesn't shoot, and cant pass wind let alone a good ball)

Good point - back four look good, especiall when they get zero help from the middle.