PL: Wolves a 2009/10/24 Ratings and Reactions

limpid

I was saying Carew needed to come off at HT.

Not because of a lack off effort some are implying but because he was getting fouls called against him all the time.

If he used his size and strength then it was an instant foul. It was bad referring but Mon should of seen it and changed it earlier.

Its happened before, if a ref wont let Carew play he has got to come off.

We simply don't create enough from open play, we haven't got the players to do it.

Petrov can only pass sideways, Sidwell runs around like a headless chicken, Milner works hard but hasn't got amazing quality or that creative flair, Ashley Young is ridiculously overrated and predictable.

We'll create maybe one or two chances a game and the rest of our threat is from set pieces. Boring as f*ck to watch.

Oh and Sidwell's tackle for the penalty was stupid, their player had already passed the ball when he slid in and then their shot got blocked and nothing would have come from it.

Friedel 7- looked fairly assured

Cuellar 7- good performance defensively and roamed forwards once or twice. Distribution not as good.

Collins 8*- felt he was caught out only once in the first half, but once again he was excellent in a game where the defence was exposed.

Dunne 6- caught out early on and could have conceded a penalty but was fairly reliable.

Warnock 7- impressive again as he has been for the last few games.

Milner 7- excellent workrate and good defensive work. He also looks a bigger threat than young in his delivery from open play (I like him on the left)

Petrov 5- showed his worth in the last two games but today he was bypassed. Something that happens all too often in this system.

Sidwell 4- I barely noticed him in the last two games, which suggests he did a quietly effective job. Yesterday I noticed him for all the wrong reasons- poorly timed headers, slack passing, being caught in possession and a rash challenge in the area.

Young 5- must improve. Twice wasted key opportunities in the second half, when last year or the year before he would've been more confident. Woefully off target.

Carew 5- he was just disappointingly slack in possession and looked cumbersome. Not sure what is wrong with him since that well taken goal v Vienna.

Agbonlahor 7- wasteful at times but was a threat again. Got the goal, and I noticed as soon as that happened the confidence came back.

-

Heskey - did more than carew in the short time he was on and nice vision for the goal.

MON 5- I was prepared to put my doubts about this formation aside after our performances in the last two games, but it seems as soon as teams come after us we get outplayed through the middle, and this game reminded me a lot of the blackburn game. It makes us look really gung ho and one dimensional and it's not nice to watch. Although we naturally like to attack, the system puts pressure on our outlets to do too much defensive work, and there are major issues in the centre of midfield.

I will keep saying this until it stops, that MON must adapt to certain situations, and this mentality of deploying no tactics and playing the same 11 every game is going to cost us points, whether the effort is there or not. He was guilty of this again yesterday.

Also in the games that I have seen them play this season, imo the two midfielders that would offer us more both creatively and defensively are sat on the bench in Delph and Coker. I would like to see them at Sunderland and hopefully on the back of good performances, deployed in a central 3 with petrov at Everton.

Not because of a lack off effort some are implying but because he was getting fouls called against him all the time.

If he used his size and strength then it was an instant foul. It was bad referring but Mon should of seen it and changed it earlier.

Agree with this, the ref was **** awful with Carew

Well said Wol.

I suppose some would say to that that Carew should have just carried on as if there was no problem, but this isn't the first time he has been penalised for I don't know what, breathing perhaps. It can't be much fun.

Naturally there is no shortage of experts in man-management whose remedy would be 'a rocket up the arse', whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. At different times this rocket up the arse has been seen as the solution in the cases of Gabby, Ashley Young, NRC and other players.

No doubt from people who solve problems with malfunctioning TVs by giving them a thump (it's the only language they understand) or moody photocopiers by giving that jammed paper a good hard tug, or Basil Fawlty-like, giving that car that won't start the damned good thrashing it doubtless deserves.

Meanwhile one or two are elsewhere proposing that Carew should '**** off'. That'll help, I'm sure.

Seriously what you see isn't always laziness or lack of effort and a rocket up the arse is hardly ever the solution to anything.

Seriously what you see isn't always laziness or lack of effort and a rocket up the arse is hardly ever the solution to anything.

So he got a raw deal yesterday. It often happens. But JC has been around a long time, he`s a big boy now and should know how to deal with the situation.

I tend to agree with those who say he´s generally not contributing anywhere near enough lately.

Right, now I´m off to thump the damn telly.

Well I did write "I suppose some would say to that that Carew should have just carried on as if there was no problem" in the hope that this would obviate any likelihood that anyone would point out that Carew is a big boy now, but then along comes BigJim, omits that bit from his quote from my post, young scamp that he is. Foiled again.

You're absolutely right though BJ. I wonder though if the fact that it's been some time now since JC ran into such an enemy referee, perhaps he was thinking "Oh shit, is this all starting up again? I thought it had died a death."

And of course he hasn't been in the best of form lately anyway.

Sorry about cutting your post, sled. It's nice to see people trying to give our players the benefit of the doubt. And I seem to remember that you warned us, under your alternative guise, not to expect too much of JC when we signed him.

He doesn't convince me. I have seen him play really well on rare occasions, so I know he can do it if he puts his mind to it. I don't think it's a form thing, like his touch deserting him: he just doesn't seem to run like he means it. Someone posted earlier that he may be worried about his back. Well I'm sorry, but if that's the case he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. (Cue posts telling me a half-fit JC is still better than any other option we have for the position).

Back to game reactions: I'm relieved we didn't lose. We really are not a very good side at the moment. Time to bring some kids forward, like our twin oracles, Delf and Delph

Well I did write "I suppose some would say to that that Carew should have just carried on as if there was no problem" in the hope that this would obviate any likelihood that anyone would point out that Carew is a big boy now, but then along comes BigJim, omits that bit from his quote from my post, young scamp that he is. Foiled again.

You're absolutely right though BJ. I wonder though if the fact that it's been some time now since JC ran into such an enemy referee, perhaps he was thinking "Oh shit, is this all starting up again? I thought it had died a death."

And of course he hasn't been in the best of form lately anyway.

Poor old Carew I'm sure the 50,000 pounds he picked up this week made up for a bit of bullying from the ref.

No excuses, Carew was lazy.

It is signs of the old Carew I used to hate until he won me over.

How do you know he was lazy?

Make a habit of hating one or two Villa players do you?

Keep Right On!

No need to start I am one of the most positive Villa fans, don't even think I have slated one player in my 2k posts.

He was either injured or lazy no two ways about it and if he was injured he should not have been on the pitch.

FWIW I knew you would jump on me saying 'HATE' I just could not think of another word at the time, if that's ok with you of course?

The first time I ever say anything negative and I get told to 'Keep right on' what **** nonsense.

How do you know he was lazy?

Make a habit of hating one or two Villa players do you?

You must live a miserable life.

Don't even go there with the miserable life pal, I have a fantastic life.

With a completely positive outlook.

Great performance from Collins e Milner.

And 5 minutes of Emile Heskey are more effective than 70 of an unwatchable Carew.

We have replaced Laursen with Collins & Dunne.

Barry we have not until we can get Downining & in the future Delph going.

The only passing and moving we did gave use the goal.

Sidwell is showing his limits without barry along side.

Heskey is a better option as Carew is not lazy but his lack of pre season and fitness is way off the rest of the side. Carew had an exteneded summer break and it shows.

Wasnt the greatest game in the world but it was a valuable point on the road you could tell it ment more to the wolves fans than us as they are talking like they have won the league when sadly it was a draw against villa lol as somebody said above when downing comes in he can hopefully fill that Barry void and add the creativity we seen to be lacking right now.