PL: Blackburn a Match Thread 2009/09/26 15:00

limpid

I think we should play 4-5-1 otherwise we'll struggle.

We've got to the current position without playing particularly well, which is a very good sign for when we eventually do play well.

Blackburn are no mugs neither is fat same, 4-5-1 please to shore up the defence.

If MON is still being petty about NRC swap him for Delph on a 4-5-1.

I've got a feeling that MON sees Delph as a replacement for Reo-Coker. I think he may have had this in mind when he bought the lad from Leeds. Delph reminds me so much of NRC when I see him play. He has bags of enthusiasm and covers lots of ground, he even likes a tackle or two! The difference is, this kid can pass a ball and knows how to dribble his way past players. The only thing missing is the Premier League experience, which I think he is going to be getting this season.

I really cannot see NRC being at the Villa next season, maybe even after January. When he first came here he seemed to be a first choice midfielder, but I think his constant lack of keeping possession gave MON no choice but to leave him out of the centre. Probably the reason for him only getting a game at right back!

I like NRC's enthusiasm and effort but I think he has suffered because he has the habit of giving the ball away to often. I wouldn't be surprised now to see him passed over regularly for Delph and possibly sold in January, when decent players are hard to find.

I think Delph will start against Blackburn in a 4-5-1 formation with Villa winning 3-0

It's got to the stage where I feel much more confident about away games.

I agree we should play 4-5-1 and if it's not working, like at the Sty, bring Carew on to change it up.

But I expect us to win this 2-0 or more. My boss is a Blackburn fan so a loss is not acceptable.

Personally I'd like to see:

Friedel

L.Young-Dunne-Collins-Warnock

Milner-NRC-Petrov-Sidwell-A.Young

Gabby.

I think the side could look more like this given we've got injury concerns/and the way Blackburn play.

Friedel

Cuellar-Dunne-Collins-Warnock

Milner-Petrov-Delph-A.Young

Gabby-Carew.

If Ashley isn't fully recovered then i'd hope Albrighton will start to give us some proper balance in midfield and then switch Milner over to the left.

it would be mad to start 4-4-2 in this game. We need to be solid in midfield. 4-5-1 and then change if ncessary. I think we're solid enough now that I would be quite unhappy to lose this one. As to whether we're potent enough to be clinical and take one or two of the few chances we'll create, we'll see.

Would llove us to notch 5 league wins in a row.

If we don't use Reo-Coker, we wont win.

striking comment that Bri!!

we didn't use Coker i don't think in this game last season, yet won fairly easily.

I would defo like Coker to play, as i think he is a top player, especially in away games, and i think we will need him for most games, and I would play him in this one.

but i could still see us winning the game with a 4-5-1 or even a 4-4-2 without Coker.

Much rather have him in though.

Think about it, and after reading Bennet's ITK thread in the main section :winkold: I think he'll go with the 3 big men at the back.

so:

Friedel

Carlos

Undertaker

RBD

Warnock

Milly

Ash

Coker (fingers crossed)

Petrov

Delph

Agbo (The French Whore)

assuming Sidders is not fit. If fit, sidders in for Delph.

I have a feeling that we are going to go into this game a little to overconfident and not show Blackburn the respect they deserve. I could be wrong but I just get a general feeling that we could end up with egg on our faces and i also think the majority of our fan base think we've already won. Looking forward to a few jars in the fenhurst anyway! UTV

I have a feeling that we are going to go into this game a little to overconfident and not show Blackburn the respect they deserve. I could be wrong but I just get a general feeling that we could end up with egg on our faces and i also think the majority of our fan base think we've already won. Looking forward to a few jars in the fenhurst anyway! UTV

I'd rather us play with confidence than not!

I agree with most on here, 4-5-1 with Sidders if fit/Delph if not. Then change as appropriate.

MON: Stay Strong

By Paul Brown

Martin O'Neill insists a strong defensive display is key to victory at Blackburn this weekend.

The Villa boss is expecting a stern test at Ewood Park and believes his new-look back four will be put to the test by the home side's direct and physical style.

He said: "Naturally, it will be a very tough game for us. The new players - Richard, Stephen and James - have helped shore up a few defensive frailties. But all of that will be put to the test against Blackburn in big fashion.

"I expect us to have to defend very strongly to get through the 90 minutes. It will be pretty direct - nothing wrong with that, it's well within the rules - and we will have to try and battle that before there's any chance of us getting the ball down and playing it.

"I am just expecting a tough encounter. It will be a really, really hard game - a physical one - and one we need to be up for.

"We have gone there in the last couple of seasons and done pretty well but each game has been very difficult.

"Last season, when Sam thought we played very well, Gabby scored our second goal with a few minutes to go. But I just felt uncomfortable the whole afternoon. We had played well and looked in control but at one-up it's never comfortable. To be fair to Blackburn, they pressurised us all the way.

"This season, their early season form has merited a few more points on the board. They were unlucky in some of their matches and I just think they will be up for it. We have to match that."

www.avfc.co.uk

I'd rather us play with confidence than not!

I agree with most on here, 4-5-1 with Sidders if fit/Delph if not. Then change as appropriate.

yeah i totally agree, what i meant just want a professional display, there were some times last season where we'd thought we'd won before kick off, and we either lost or drew, Stoke springs to mind! but it seems MON has dispelled any fears i may have had!!

Well turns out sidders is injured.

It's hard to guess what MON will do now, he says we need to be defensive so I think a 4-5-1 is likely. Petrov-NRC-Delph? has this combination ever played together?

It's hard to guess what MON will do now, he says we need to be defensive so I think a 4-5-1 is likely. Petrov-NRC-Delph? has this combination ever played together?

I think that's a frightening combination, and i think it'd be too much for blackburn.

Agree that NRC-Petrov-Delph will be most likely starting combination. Blackburn's CMs will be a little sore after the game I would suspect. I certainly wouldn't want to be chased around by a fired up NRC or a young, quick and aggressive Delph.

What odds on MON subbing NRC if we need to bring on Carew?