PL: Blackburn a Match Thread 2009/09/26 15:00

limpid

Well it depends what you want to do, i would hope that having ambitions of a top 4 place we would go with to teams like blackburn with the emphasis being on trying to win instead of trying to not lose.

Why does setting up with a 4-5-1, which invariably in our case ends up being more of a 4-3-3, mean we're not trying to win?

Such an odd selection. Carew is bang out of form and I don't have faith in Petrov and Delph as a pairing.

But we've won 6 on the bounce. Until that ends, well, I'll keep the faith.

Because against liverpool, fulham and blues we didn't look threatenting going forward and we struggled to create chances. We looked solid but i think we lose a bit going forward with this formation.

Blackburn are a poor team who are going to sit back and be happy with a draw today, 4-5-1 didn't work against blues when they did the same so i don't think it would work well against blackburn.

Rovers will be playing a 4-4-1-1

Robinson

Jacobsen Samba Nelsen Chimbonda

Diouf N'Zonzi Grella Pedersen

Dunn

Di Santo

N'Zonzi is 6 foot 4 and a promising young french DM who has been part of the French under 21 squad. Very raw but has a lot of potential from what i've seen of him.

We will lose.

MON is a stubborn ****.

We only beat blues once we switched to 4-4-2 and we beat pompey playing 4-4-2.

Why is a guaranteed loss because we are playing that formation today?

Pompey are a very poor team and the blues game was tough, 4-5-1 helped us defensively in that game, we kept our shape and created a few chances, and then switched to 4-4-2 to put pressure on them near the end and it paid off for us.

Quick quiz:

If Gabby scores today, he'll have scored in five consecutive games. Who was the last Villa player to do this and when?

Hmmmm.

My initial guess would be big Dion, but I think I'm wrong.

I thought it was Dion too, that was four consecutive games though. :oops:

Because against liverpool, fulham and blues we didn't look threatenting going forward and we struggled to create chances. We looked solid but i think we lose a bit going forward with this formation.

I don't agree. There was a period in the first half against the scum where we could have had 2 or 3 if Jimmy hadn't left his shooting boots at home. The switch to 4-4-2 came just at the right time, as the game became stretched.

I think with two up top we're too static and the wide boys get too hooked up in defensive work.

I could be wrong. Let's hope so eh.

Quick quiz:

If Gabby scores today, he'll have scored in five consecutive games. Who was the last Villa player to do this and when?

Hmmmm.

My initial guess would be big Dion, but I think I'm wrong.

I thought it was Dion too, that was four consecutive games though. :oops:

Didn't Hendrie have an amazing purple patch one time?