PL: Blackburn a Match Thread 2009/09/26 15:00

limpid

I think we attack better from a 4-5-1. In a 4-4-2 there's too much onus on Young and Milner to work at supporting midfield, in a 4-5-1 they can bomb on and do what they're good at.

With the players were using, 4-5-1 is more attacking than 4-4-2. I know that sounds wrong, but it's true imo.

Totally agree.

I'm glad we've gone for 4-4-2 we need to be attacking against teams like this if we want to win.

The blues game showed that playing 4-5-1 against a team who are going to sit back and defend is not going to work well enough.

If we want to finish top 4 we can't go to places like Ewood park with a defensive attitude.

Disagree completely. The 451 is set up to counter attack away from home which is what we are fantastic at. Chelsea based two outstanding title winning seasons on a solid 451. 442 with petrov works in reverse for us as however good we are going forward, we get ripped apart by any opposition through the middle.

They'll beat us unless they play crap.

shut up! maybe we will play brilliantly and deserve to win. that sort of comment is the epitomy of negative villa fans - we only win when the oppostion are bad - just as some said after the liverpool game. occassionally, you know, we do actually deserve the good things that happen to us.

Yes you are right, although the situation is this- when we play 4-5-1, we don't lose, the opposition can't break us down. When we play 4-4-2 with petrov, we invariably get outplayed by poor opposition. So in this case my only optism is that Rovers are very poor, otherwise we will be overrun again.

Well it depends what you want to do, i would hope that having ambitions of a top 4 place we would go with to teams like blackburn with the emphasis being on trying to win instead of trying to not lose.

They'll beat us unless they play crap.

shut up! maybe we will play brilliantly and deserve to win. that sort of comment is the epitomy of negative villa fans - we only win when the oppostion are bad - just as some said after the liverpool game. occassionally, you know, we do actually deserve the good things that happen to us.

Yes you are right, although the situation is this- when we play 4-5-1, we don't lose, the opposition can't break us down. When we play 4-4-2 with petrov, we invariably get outplayed by poor opposition. So in this case my only optism is that Rovers are very poor, otherwise we will be overrun again.

if we play for 90 minutes with a 442 and lose, then it was the wrong tactic.

over an hour before kick off is not when games are won or lost.

i expected us to go with a 451 too, but i am not going to say that it is wrong to play attacking football and to go into games against supposedly weaker opposition with the obvious intention of taking the game to them and trying to come back with all three points.

I'm glad we've gone for 4-4-2 we need to be attacking against teams like this if we want to win.

The blues game showed that playing 4-5-1 against a team who are going to sit back and defend is not going to work well enough.

If we want to finish top 4 we can't go to places like Ewood park with a defensive attitude.

Disagree completely. The 451 is set up to counter attack away from home which is what we are fantastic at. Chelsea based two outstanding title winning seasons on a solid 451. 442 with petrov works in reverse for us as however good we are going forward, we get ripped apart by any opposition through the middle.

The counter attack works if teams will push forward and attack us, blackburn today will play like blues did and in that situation it doesn't work well.

I think we are more able to take the game to them playing 4-5-1 than 4-4-2, just by having an extra player up front it doesn't mean we are going to be better going forward.

I think we will create more chances and look more of a threat going forward than if we just played 1 upfront.

I think 4-5-1 is the right formation for us in certain games but i don't think this is one of them.

Well it depends what you want to do, i would hope that having ambitions of a top 4 place we would go with to teams like blackburn with the emphasis being on trying to win instead of trying to not lose.

Why does setting up with a 4-5-1, which invariably in our case ends up being more of a 4-3-3, mean we're not trying to win?

Such an odd selection. Carew is bang out of form and I don't have faith in Petrov and Delph as a pairing.

But we've won 6 on the bounce. Until that ends, well, I'll keep the faith.