Simple Poll - Happy with transfer window? No discussion...

rsjg80

Are you happy with our transfer business?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with our transfer business?

• Absolutely what I'd dreamed of in May!
    • Not amazing but certainly a very good window
    • Average. A bit flat really....
    • Poor, very poor - what are we playing at?!

as i said earlier somewhere, we havent replaced laursen, but we've made the rest of the back 4 better, so hopefully it reduces the importance of laursen by making a better unit, hopefully if we play the CM 3 then petrov and NRC between them can cover his leadership role, and if losing Barry means that MON finally sticks with the 4-5-1 formation then im happy

delph is a great signing, downing if he was fit would be another great signing (but he'd of gone to spuds if fit IMO, wait till jan and we'd of lost him), warnock is better than shorey, beye is better than NRC being there and albrighton, bannan, clarke and the fonz all looked alot better in pre-season, as well as lowry and maybe even herd and weimann pushing by the end of the year

overall im pretty happy, much better squad, some really exciting youngsters and a potentially solid back 4 and cover from MF

7/10 for me

Yes. Think we spent the most last summer and 2nd most this summer. Must be around the 150 mil mark spent by MON now, it really is time to deliver a trophy or Champions League. Tuncay for 5 mil would have been nice though.

I agree we really need a good cup run but i don't think you can say we should be in the champions league because of the money we've spent.

We've spent for two summers that's nothing compared to what the top 4 have been able to spend over the years and the quality they've been able to attract because of champions league football, also what we've spent is nothing compared to man city.

For me i think the window was pretty good but nothing special.

I can't really answer this poll as it needed another option. Option 2 ("very good") is a bit too positive and option 3 is a bit too negative. I would have gone for something like "quite good" or "not bad".

On the positive side, it looks like we should now have a good defence with good backups for all positions.

On the less positive side, we haven't strengthened in attack (a top goalscorer would have been good) and a top class creative midfielder would also have been very welcome. Delph and Downing (when fit) will give us more options, I suppose. We'll have to wait and see.

Overall, it leaves me with the feeling that Villa should be "solid but unspectacular" this year: good enough to compete for the places below the top four but not good enough to be among the top four (which is what I would like to see). Let's hope they prove me wrong!

A bit flat. No additional quality in midfield, just NRC and Sidwell who the manager didn't think were good enough last season, and an untried kid.

:?

Plus a quality proven PL midfield winger?

We've sorted our defense out with the signing of Dunne who may prove immense, but may not match the levels of Laursen. Warnock offers more going forward than Shorey and is as steady as Bouma. Collins has more quality than Knight and he should'nt make as many mistakes. Beye is a steady defender who will prove a solid backup to Luke Young.

Downing could prove an inspired signing when fit as he's a no-nonsense winger who can cross well. If he's played in the centre he will do a job but is not as good as Barry in that situation. Delph will come good but should not be relied on this season as its too early.

But what we lack is a real goalscorer and that's what we have been crying out for for a number of years. Carew and Gabby won't score more than 10-15 league goals a season and often go missing for months.

Therefore as we have only replaced like for like and have not really addressed our major problem - being too one-dimensional and lacking a real goal poacher, I say this window has been average at best. I'm happy we've got good cover but we have'nt signed any players of real quality and that's where we may falter.

I always thought that O Neill would just bulk up the squad this summer which is what he has done. I did not expect any major signings as we need a solid base and group of players which we can now add to.

Last season the players showed they had the quality to challenge the top 4 but are squad depth caught up with us, now we are out of Europe we have a team that can really challenge for the league without the distractions of Europe.

But what we lack is a real goalscorer and that's what we have been crying out for for a number of years. Carew and Gabby won't score more than 10-15 league goals a season and often go missing for months.

Last season carew and gabby scored 22 premier league goals between them, they got 11 each.

take the 2 forwards who scored the most goals for their teams last season and only chelsea and liverpool beat us, if you class ronaldo as a forward then man u do to.

I think we underestimate the quality we already have sometimes.

i'm surprised that 7% think we were Very Poor.

what were they expecting? Ronaldo & Kaka?

i'd call the transfer window a 6/10, all we needed was a Creative Midfielder & a Striker to make it a 9/10.

I seem to remember a recent reference to a vocal negative minority here on VT. The response was "how do you know that those who are negative are in the minority?" I think perhaps this poll serves to demonstrate that fact very well. I'm delighted that VillaTalk is still largely supportive of what Randy and Mon are trying to do at AVFC.

Â