Simple Poll - Happy with transfer window? No discussion...

rsjg80

Are you happy with our transfer business?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with our transfer business?

• Absolutely what I'd dreamed of in May!
    • Not amazing but certainly a very good window
    • Average. A bit flat really....
    • Poor, very poor - what are we playing at?!

Not amazing but a pretty good window!

I think the squad has improved on last season now Dunne is a done deal. Yes we havent replced Barry as such but Delph and Downing will fill that gap (I hope).

Happier to see more depth in defence which is where we struggled last season. However, would have loved to see a top striker come in to shake things up a bit

I have voted for a good window. Strengthened where we needed to and we go into the first half of the season with a very capable squad with no 'holes' in it. I'm also a fan of blooding a few of the youngsters when we are able, which Martin seems to support.

59% say "A very good window" :shock:

Hope it doesn't get any higher than that :winkold:

£15 to VT if the end of transfer period poll asking "Are you happy with the signings?" is more than 60% in favour.

Option no 2, though maybe with a minus after it. Somewhere between 2nd and 3rd option but leaning to the 2nd.

Anyway, those who wanted Barry to be replaced like for like. You might be right that it will harm us, but remember 1991 when Platt left us. We didn't sign a replacement like for like but loads of players, changed our way of playing and went from almost relegated the season before with Platt in the team, to 7th without him. Sometimes, not seldom at all, a team benefits from losing its stars. I think that Barry might be such an example. Laursen, though, might be harder.

Option no 2, though maybe with a minus after it. Somewhere between 2nd and 3rd option but leaning to the 2nd.

Anyway, those who wanted Barry to be replaced like for like. You might be right that it will harm us, but remember 1991 when Platt left us. We didn't sign a replacement like for like but loads of players, changed our way of playing and went from almost relegated the season before with Platt in the team, to 7th without him. Sometimes, not seldom at all, a team benefits from losing its stars. I think that Barry might be such an example. Laursen, though, might be harder.

I agree with you there - I think when Downing is fit, we will move Young into the middle/supporting striker role which will make it harder for opposition defences to double up on him. We'd then have 4 attacking players (assuming we stick to the 4-5-1)......happy times ahead I think!

For me I think we've done the absolute minimum this transfer window. Not sure if thats through lack of trying, lack of ability in the market by MON or what.

I think going into the window we needed: a left back, a CB to repalce Laursen, an attacking/creative CM, a goalscoring striker.

I think we could have done with a young RB to cover young and perhaps a 2nd striker.

Warnock for me is a good player and trumps both shorey and bouma so pleased with him.

Beye is a good player but Young is better, both similar age? if we got him on the cheap then I think fair enough.

Collins is for me a direct replacement for Zat who we sold and we've gained noithing, from what ive seen he's no better than Zat. I think that with Davies' shoulder needing an op may well have made MON buy Collins to cover? I dont know...

Dunne I assume will try and fill Laursens boots which I dont believe he can, I've always thought Dunne a good player but he aint no Laursen.

Delph is a good player with bags of potential but we cant expect him to cut it in the prem just yet, he's a 19yr old from 2 divisions below. Not a replacement for Barry just yet but long term maybe.

Downing is a decent winger who whips in the ball well. I always find myself want Joe Cole to play on the left rather than Downing and now Young has broken into the England squad Downing would be 3rd choice. When I heard we had signed him I assumed that Ash was on his way, why spend 12 million on a back up left winger? unless your man city or chelsea? It seems that MON see's downing as Barry's replacement in CM. Might just be me but I'd prefer a CM to play CM not gamble 12million on a left winger who's played a handfull of games their in the past. MON and his love of square pegs in round holes....

No Strikers came in and so we're left with Carew who should be at a top 5 or 6 side min in my opinion but his aside Gabby and Heskey are not of the caliber we require to break the top 4 if this is still our aim?

All in all I dont think we've added too much depth considering we've replaced 2 CB with 2 CB (none of which are improvements imo) We tried to offload Shorey so he wont figure much so Warnock whilst better will only be player up untill we dump Shorey. Beye will provide cover and competition for Young which is good and Delph whilst not a replacement for Barry looks a great prospect. Finnally Downing I can see being a bench warmer, not sure he'll cut it in CM.

I recall MON saying he wanted to add 5 or 6 players in the summer at the end of last season - we since lost 4 players from the first team squad so that would be 9 players required.....

I recall MON saying he wanted to add 5 or 6 players in the summer at the end of last season - we since lost 4 players from the first team squad so that would be 9 players required.....

We lost four players and added seven so that's plus three. Clark, Albrighton, Lowry, Bannan and Delfouneso weren't ready last season, but I think Mon will happily use them this season as and when neccessary and especially in cup games. You could argue that Mon now has more than six additions to his first team squad.

Â