• Just Fontaine
    • Ronaldo (Bra)
    • Gary Lineker
    • Eusebio
    • Pele
    • Diego Maradona
    • Geoff Hurst
    • Ferenc Puscas

A very nice gentleman has e-mailed us asking us to enter a competition to pick an all-time world cup XI.

This is to help publicise England's bid for the World Cup in 2018 and they would like as many of us as is possible to register our support here..

By adding this link to the competition they are hoping we'll help towards achieving their target of two million registered fans supporting the bid to bring the World Cup to Villa Park and some other places in this country.

Now, here's the interesting bit, the forum with the closest line up to an XI selected by John Barnes (one of the bid's Vice Presidents) will win the chance to send a forum correspondent to the post-match press conference for the England versus Andorra match on June 10th, as well as a ticket for the match itself.

They would like a team submitted by the 5th June, which means we've only got the rest of this week, so please register your support for the England's World Cup bid and vote here for your all-time best World Cup Forward.

Thank you.

I went with Gerd Muller my old mans choice. Probably one of the least athletic players to ever grace the game but what gift god gave him was surely the most lethal combination of positional awareness and finishing ability. His record speaks for itself 68 goals in 62 games for Germany undoubtedly the most clinical striker the game has ever known despite being an average footballer. But goals make forwards not fancy tricks and Muller is the greatest.

Maradona for me. Won the World Cup on his own.....the rest of the team were no better than average. He would be partnered by Ronaldo.

Maradona for me too. Now, I'm a bit too young to have seen him play in his prime but I've still seen enough clips, highlights and taped games to confidently say he's the best footballer in history. A cheat and a thug, probably, but my lord he was gifted. Pele's stats are amazing and he'd be a close (yet so distant) second for me.

I can see why people would go for (the only one) Ronaldo as well. He was in his prime as I was growing up, and he was breathtakingly good. His pace and skill combined with being possibly the best finisher in modern football makes him a very qualified candidate indeed.

And I'd have my childhood hero Romario on that list too. And Batistuta. You can tell the 90s were my childhood years ;)

And if Lineker and Geoff Hurst are in there, where's Paolo Rossi?

Â