Yes or no! Would you be bothered if Barry went?

jackso55

Would you be bothered if Barry went?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Barry went?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

He's a good player, undoubtedly. But I've said it many times now, I think we could almost benefit from not having him here. He limits the way the team plays because he's too good not to play but he's not a player that'll do what the really top class CMs in this league will do, Gerrard, Lampard, etc etc. He's not that big of a goal threat, he's capable of playing good cutting balls but almost never does. He's not defensive enough to tackle and go to be an out and out DM, he needs someone next to him doing some of that work. He's got a great pass and can link up fairly well with everyone else in the team. He's the kind of player that with a bloke next to him doing alot of the donkey work, and a guy just in front of him who can score a few he could link with would thrive. He's just awkward to really get the best out of imo.

But because he's good enough, you've got to play him and it limits the way you have to play. I can't help thinking that if he left, yes we'd lose a very good player, but we'd not feel that need to have to play this way. Petrov can do everything Barry can I reckon, and if we had someone else in the centre that knew how to go forward and score a few and link up with the front men, we'd be a completely different prospect. Barry doesn't play that way (arguably I'd say can't, not fast enough or tricky enough and his shot's not good enough), so we get left with Barry spraying a few balls round, inevitably to Ashley Young, and not really achieving a whole lot with nothing coming from the CM to threaten goal.

eloquently put and very apt IMO... interesting post.

Excellent post - I'll be sad to see him go and he's been a great servant, last summer's shenanigans aside, but he does lack a certain something (as does Petrov), which means that with the two of them we can seem a bit stodgy. I hope that if he does go it will change us for the better, just like the first half season when we lost Yorke and got Dublin and Merson.

I'm a bit of a Don't know... I'd like him to stay but honestly I think we've had the best out of him...and he's been here 10/11yrs and he deserves his chance to play CL football..

I'm just disappointed that he may well have to go somewhere else to play in that league. If MON had bought more players and maybe not thrown away the UEFA Cup maybe just maybe things might have been different...but who knows, it's no good looking back, we have to look forward & if that means without Bsrry then so be it...

It's funny I feel different somehow to last summer.......it's like if he goes...I'll think I'll wish him well, whereas last summer I was outraged, but I think that had alot to do with the way FSW went about it all.......

Anyhow c'est la vie... Let's just hope Ashley Young starts banging in a few more free kicks next season!

He's a good player, undoubtedly. But I've said it many times now, I think we could almost benefit from not having him here. He limits the way the team plays because he's too good not to play but he's not a player that'll do what the really top class CMs in this league will do, Gerrard, Lampard, etc etc. He's not that big of a goal threat, he's capable of playing good cutting balls but almost never does. He's not defensive enough to tackle and go to be an out and out DM, he needs someone next to him doing some of that work. He's got a great pass and can link up fairly well with everyone else in the team. He's the kind of player that with a bloke next to him doing alot of the donkey work, and a guy just in front of him who can score a few he could link with would thrive. He's just awkward to really get the best out of imo.

But because he's good enough, you've got to play him and it limits the way you have to play. I can't help thinking that if he left, yes we'd lose a very good player, but we'd not feel that need to have to play this way. Petrov can do everything Barry can I reckon, and if we had someone else in the centre that knew how to go forward and score a few and link up with the front men, we'd be a completely different prospect. Barry doesn't play that way (arguably I'd say can't, not fast enough or tricky enough and his shot's not good enough), so we get left with Barry spraying a few balls round, inevitably to Ashley Young, and not really achieving a whole lot with nothing coming from the CM to threaten goal.

I don't think I've ever agreed with a post as much as I do this one.

I genuinely believe that as good a player that Barry unquestionably is, we could be a better team without him (I say 'could' because it obviously depends on his replacement).

I sometimes think people forget that it's about having a balanced team rather than simply having good individual players - at the moment our centre midfield is completely unbalanced.

chindie for president!!

i have been saying what you wrote for ages - and i'm talking about all they way back to when he was playing on the left wing. barry is quite good at everything, but excellent at nothing at all. he has no outstanding attribute although he can do everything fairly well (except shoot or use his right foot).

barry has got into the england team and is competing for a place in it against the likes of gerard, lampard and carrick. you can say what you like about those players but the undeniable fact is that they influence games in a way that barry doesnt. take tonights usual "final fifteen panic" - where was the leadership, calmness and control that barry is supposed to give us????

for me, the biggest problem facing us this summer wont be replacing barry (if he leaves) but replacing laursen - a player who really does have an influence on the rest of the team.

one last point - i still believe that barry's best position is at centre half. he was great there when he was younger (in the southgate mould) and with experience, his good reading of the game would have made him a far better player than the one he has become by playing in midfield imo.

Not bothered, I'd be quite happy for him to go to be honest. I think hes over-rated and he doesnt bring us match winning qualitys that we could do with in that position, more match saving qualitys but we have petrov as a holder for that.

I just hope we get decent money for him as we blew that opertunity in my book last season.

Barry is a good player as shown playing for England. If we had the players to attack off him (lampard/gerrard types) as England do we would get the best out of him IMO. We don't so we ask more of Barry than he is able to provide at the moment.

The answer though is not to sell him but keep him if possible and add a more mobile attacking threat alongside him in midfield.

This is why I would be very disappointed if we sold him. It is difficult to progress as a club if you sell your quality players in their prime.

I wonder if O'Neil had the choice to vote he would say No, he seems pretty content in letting him go now which is a bit of a U-Turn from the days of giving him man of the match every game.

I hope he replaces him with some pace.

It'll be a disappointment when he goes but its up to the other players to step up to the plate. Quite often when the 'star man' leaves everyone else raises their game to accomodate the loss. We've survived losing Platt and Yorke and they were far better players.

I'd like him to stay .. quality player

But as i've said I think Petrov is almsot as good at doing the same sort of thing so it gives us other options when seeking a replacement

yes...he has been our best player this season....he is head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch....

but if he goes we move on............like we have when all the others before him have left to better themselves....

the big question here is, do we want to kick on and challenge the top four or are we just going to be satisfied with challenging to be best of the rest???

simple.....to kick on and challenge the top four you need quality players.....

Has this link found its way onto VT today

not sure about the thread itself but i liked this bit at the bottom of page 19 :-)

All of this has been done to death in plenty of other threads, it's going nowhere.

I'm putting this sorry thread out of its misery and closing it.

Â