Yes or no! Would you be bothered if Barry went?

jackso55

Would you be bothered if Barry went?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Barry went?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

Petrov can do everything Barry can I reckon, and if we had someone else in the centre that knew how to go forward and score a few and link up with the front men, we'd be a completely different prospect.

a lot of what you say makes sense Chindie and i really hope you are right

we are relying on MON big time to get his replacement right and find a guy who is more creative and gets more goals from midfield...

by personal opinion would be to get milner in the CM role as i think he could do that role you speak of........

then bag someone like bentley or preferably a speedier winger and we may be in business

young milner petrov bentley

Aye don't get me wrong I'm not happy at seeing the club losing good players. But I think losing him could be a watershed in how we play, for the better. The worst thing we could do, that we might, IMO, is pick up a replacement that is more or less the same as Barry. We'd have achieved nothin then if we replace him with a similar player, we need to get someone that can run on the ball and have a crack at goal. For instance I'd be disappointed if we brought in Huddlestone as his replacement. I reckon he's a decent player, and I'd happily have him at the club, but not to replace Barry. All we'd have got is another slightly less versatile Barry with a slightly better shot, and it'd be the same old static central midfield. Unless we decide to start playing differently, going back to central 3, then it may work. But it'd still be a bit limited in it's scope.

I mean... if we kept Barry, and bought in a good box to box player (or hell, even Sidwell finding his feet) and played like this

--------Petrov--------Barry

---------------Sidwell/another

Young------------------------Milner

I could see us getting the best out of Barry, or a similar replacement. But while that might work, we start getting interesting situations with the strikers and it's a bit limited in scope I think. Plus if we decided to stick to 442, it'd just lead to the problems we've got now.

It's going to be an interesting situation. I genuinely believe this issue, and who we buy to replace him, will say a lot baout how we intend to play in coming seasons.

No, all this speculation can't be good for the dressing and I feel he clearly wants to leave so let him so we can move on, I for one don't want anyone at the club that isn't 100% mentally committed and in any case he's far from irreplaceable.

100% yes for 2 reasons

1. he is a class act...when he is on song we are a terrific team...his passing, vision and reading of the play is brilliant...only petrov comes close to this

2. i dont trust martin one jot to actually replace him properly

if he goes im sure next season we are gonna be talking about how much it has affected us

i hope he stays

Same for me. He is one of the best players in the team and there is nobody that we know of who will slot straight in.

Benetiz wants him, O'Neill has done everything to keep him and he has played in every game under Capello IIRC. He is a quality player

I'm sure the club would carry on perfectly without Barry. Having said that, yes I would be mightily pissed off if he left. Still, if he insists...

Without posting an annoying one-worded answer in "this", I would have posted exactly what Sled has :nod: 8)

Our central midfield partnership at the moment does restrict the way in which we play and for us to progress, i have for some time thought that we need to break up the partnership of Barry and Petrov. A new central defensive partnership selected from Muntari, Delph, defour, or Bentley would give us more creativity and more energy, so if Barry was sold, and the aforementioned players signed, then the overall balance of our team would be much better.

I see the possible transfer of Barry being in the same sort of situation as Robson for Man U. The Man U team of that time was built around Robson, but they didn't win the title, until Robson left. I hope the same sort of senario might apply to us in the not too distant future?

Would rather he stayed, but if he wants to go, we should let him go with good grace for what is accepted as a reasonable price. But if he does decide to find another club, he needs to manage it in a way which is far less disruptive than last year's nonsense.

Agree with a lot of whats been said regarding playing style and perhaps using GBs departure as an oppotunity to change ... But I still feel that as long as our best players are leaving us to go to the teams around us ,then we have a fair way still to go to be recognised as serious challengers to the 'big 4' So for me I will be sorry to see him go

Yes. One of the best players at the club. We will really need to work hard to find a replacement.

exactly, which is why i think itd be a good thing for him to go... it really forces the managers hand to up his game in the transfer market

I'd be bothered yeah. He's a great player, and should be considered a Villa Legend, despite whats gone on in the past.

However, he can and has to be replaced. Probably not straight away, but another player will come along eventually and be just as great, if not more so. Maybe we already have that player and they're just waiting for their chance :)

i think chindie has got it spot on

barry is a great player, but i dont think he can play as effectively in a 442- he is not quick enough and dosnt tackle well enough to play DM. but then he is not quick enough to play the AM in 442 either- he just cant get up and down the pitch, so he doesnt get many assists or goals from open play even though he definatly has the ability to do so. and if he does get forward then as we have seen recently we can get ripped open through the middle as he cant get back.

hes the perfect 433 player as his best attributes are to keep it tidy, the natural ability to create space for himself and others, bring others into play etc. with stan defending and sidwell getting forward or covering barry when he does, then barry can roam around and dictate play.

so if we are going to play 442 next season, which i would as you want both your top strikers playing as much as possible, then barry leaving could actually be an ultimatly good thing. of course thats providing MON brings in a more dynamic midfielder who can get up and down the pitch and contribute with goals and assists!

im also with sonic_bouma in that Milner could potentially do that job. i think hes a younger, faster, more energitc barry- his style is similar- not flashy skill but the ability to create space and bring others into play. he also has a good shot with both feet. i think whenever he has come inside this season he has looked good- barrys goal against blackburn, sidwells at wigan and everton, stans against stoke etc all down to milner coming in off the wing and setting up with some nice vision and touches.

I think it is a paradox... He is a quality player, but I am not sure how effective he is for the team.

I have a feeling we will acquire a better balance when he eventually goes.

For years there has been conjecture as to his best position and there lies some of the problem.... imo, he is a jack of all trades and master of none.

He's a good player, undoubtedly. But I've said it many times now, I think we could almost benefit from not having him here. He limits the way the team plays because he's too good not to play but he's not a player that'll do what the really top class CMs in this league will do, Gerrard, Lampard, etc etc. He's not that big of a goal threat, he's capable of playing good cutting balls but almost never does. He's not defensive enough to tackle and go to be an out and out DM, he needs someone next to him doing some of that work. He's got a great pass and can link up fairly well with everyone else in the team. He's the kind of player that with a bloke next to him doing alot of the donkey work, and a guy just in front of him who can score a few he could link with would thrive. He's just awkward to really get the best out of imo.

But because he's good enough, you've got to play him and it limits the way you have to play. I can't help thinking that if he left, yes we'd lose a very good player, but we'd not feel that need to have to play this way. Petrov can do everything Barry can I reckon, and if we had someone else in the centre that knew how to go forward and score a few and link up with the front men, we'd be a completely different prospect. Barry doesn't play that way (arguably I'd say can't, not fast enough or tricky enough and his shot's not good enough), so we get left with Barry spraying a few balls round, inevitably to Ashley Young, and not really achieving a whole lot with nothing coming from the CM to threaten goal.

eloquently put and very apt IMO... interesting post.

nope....

have said it since last summer that he could be easily replaced by anyone with a bit of composure, and neat sideways passing...

add some creativity and a bit of pace to the above, and we have improved on him...

if we got anything over 8 mil for him, with a year left on his contract, then we will have mugged whoever is stupid enough to pay it...

Wouldn't really say they have been mugged, but a £ 10 Mill is a good price IMO.

Thing is, I don't think it will be to hard to replace him with someone who can pass the ball, break up play, add more in the attacking game and even possibly be more of a goal threat. Barry is a good player, but not that good.

But we will miss him at penalties and considering the way we play, having a deadly penalty taker is worth it's weight in gold.

The question is how much are we willing to fork out for a replacement?

I think many saying that they wouldnt be bothered if barry went could have egg on their face next season, you can evaluate it all you want *he doesnt fit into our system* or *he doesnt play well with petrov* at the end of the day he is Mr Aston Villa and is the spine of our team he is also possibly the our most recognised player when you think Aston Villa you think Gareth Barry he has had an obscene amount of premiership games and that experience is vital, i cannot think of any player who could come in and immediately have an impact which is what we need to be consistant and finish in the top 6 every season. who would you have to replace him if he were to leave? i remember many on here touting sidwell as a replacement before we signed him

Barry going would be a massive loss - his presence is such a calming factor for the team and he is of undoubted quality, so of course I'd be bothered.

Â