Yes or no! Would you be bothered if Barry went?

jackso55

Would you be bothered if Barry went?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Barry went?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

Complete rubbish ... IMHO. If you want to see a fat arse, look at Stan. That's why Stan can't last for 90 minutes - the main reason we have been so poor in the last 30 mins in recent months.

Barry is a class act and drives on when he makes or sees an opening as well as most. Again, IMO, it is Stan that turns back when he has got into a good attacking position becasue he knows he doesn't have the pace/engine to drive on. He regularly creates these openings with a drop of the shoulder which he could pass on to Downing and make him a much better player when he comes to Villa (I hope) next season.

Barry's ability to spread the ball is better than anybody on our team. It is Stan that tends to pass sideways most of the time and, frustratingly IMO, rarely rolls the ball in front of the full backs to invite them on and get some momemtum.

Shows how subjective football is and how different people see the game!

The reason we've conceded more in the last few weeks is not because of Petrov. It's because we don't have Martin Laursen. In desperate times, we had him to keep a cool head and show people how to put your body on the line. Since then, we've sacrificed a player in midfield which doesn't help, and Barry is hardly a defensive rock to look to for leadership when we're trying to see out a game. We have zero organisation at the time when we need it most.

Our two best players in terms of ability and consistency are Martin Laursen and Gareth Barry. Then comes Ashely Young but he can drift out of games for 2 months.

If we lose Barry and Laursen I would conclude that we will not be able to sustain the same challenge as this season, no matter who replaces them.

I think MON will never be able to replace the two.

Our two best players in terms of ability and consistency are Martin Laursen and Gareth Barry. Then comes Ashely Young but he can drift out of games for 2 months.

If we lose Barry and Laursen I would conclude that we will not be able to sustain the same challenge as this season, no matter who replaces them.

Couldn't agree more. When evaluating O'Neills tenure, Laursen and Barry are the players who have performed the most consistently and have formed the spine of the team

IMO Laursen is the most important in influencing how many we concede, Young is the most important in influencing how many we score and Barry is only the most important in influencing how long we keep possession for. It saves our side a lot of energy having Barry to keep the ball but he's not the cutting edge at either end. Moutinho would do a similar job at a faster pace and then a bit as far as I can see.

It will cost a lot of money to replace him. Can't believe anyone would be happy to see him go. I judge players by what they do on the pitch - unless we are talking Joey Barton type stuff.

it'll cost a bit to replace him, but its not like we are planning on giving him away for nothing is it? you honestly think that mon would sell him for less than 8-10m?

i think you will find that most people have given a reasoned argument based on how they see his performances ON THE PITCH - the proof being that hardly anyone has mentioned last summer in their opinions, instead they have drawn attention to the fact that barry is slow, not very good at defending, not very good at attacking, cant shoot, has no right foot and is totally devoid of any of the leadership qualities that you would expect to see in a premiership standard team captain.

barry = ray wilkins for the new millenium

Couldn't agree more. When evaluating O'Neills tenure, Laursen and Barry are the players who have performed the most consistently and have formed the spine of the team

And they both were very average before MON arrived. MON made them into the players people believe they are now.

Gareth Barry, Mr Aston Villa. Gareth Barry who was a nobody for ages. Gareth Barry who tried to jump ship to spurs around year 2000. Gareth Barry who tried to jump ship to pompey. Gareth Barry who was made captain and tried to jump ship to Liverpool at first possible opportunity. Just leave.

Chelsea strugge when Essien or Lampard are out.

Man Utd struggle when Ronaldo is out.

Arsenal struggle when Fabregas is out.

We will struggle if Barry leaves.

Certain individual players are key to the way a team plays and performs. Barry is one of them IMO.

Edit: We also won't be able to attract a player of the same ability, unlike a top 4 team.

And they both were very average before MON arrived. MON made them into the players people believe they are now.

Gareth Barry, Mr Aston Villa. Gareth Barry who was a nobody for ages. Gareth Barry who tried to jump ship to spurs around year 2000. Gareth Barry who tried to jump ship to pompey. Gareth Barry who was made captain and tried to jump ship to Liverpool at first possible opportunity. Just leave.

Did he try and jump ship to either Spurs or Pompey - I think not. I think you'll find that the club received bids or at least enquiries about them. At no time was it GB that instigated anything.

As for being very average, sorry but I simply don't see that at all. MO'N gave them back some confidence, which was required but when dealing with players of that standard it was hard not to get them playing that well.

Laursen league appearances since he joined us:

2004-5 12

2005-6 1

Then MON arrived

2006-7 14

2007-8 38

2008-9 19

Question: Why did DOL pick him for only 12 games in 2004-5 and only 1 in 2005-6? And why did MON pick him for only 14 games in 2006-7 and only 19 games in 2008-9? Because Laursen was very average? Or was it for some other reason?

As for Barry:

I think MON has got him playing better than ever before but every England team manager from Kevin Keegan onwards has selected Barry for England. "Very average" therefore seems a huge exaggeration.

certain individual players are key to the way a team plays and performs. Barry is one of them IMO.

i totally agree with that

thats why we have drawn more games than any other team since the premier league started and our average finish is 9th - in a word - AVERAGE

certain individual players are key to the way a team plays and performs. Barry is one of them IMO.

i totally agree with that

thats why we have drawn more games than any other team since the premier league started and our average finish is 9th - in a word - AVERAGE

If Barry is average, then there is no hope for any other Aston Villa player in the world of football.

Barry average? and I suppose Osbourne is the next Viera?

no i dont think i would be

he's a decent player but he doesnt fit into the way we play our football - he needs to play in a midfield 3 with 1 defensive and one attacking player

i think we could easily sell him for 15-20 million and replace him with a better foreign player for half that

no i dont think i would be

he's a decent player but he doesnt fit into the way we play our football - he needs to play in a midfield 3 with 1 defensive and one attacking player

i think we could easily sell him for 15-20 million and replace him with a better foreign player for half that

i agree, hes perfect in a 433 but in a 442 he just cant do it. we need someone with a bit more pace in the centre of the park. add in that he wants to go to liverpool and i think saying goodbye might be the best thing

I said no before and it's even more of a no after today. He doesn't look interested and he's too slow to get forward or get back. He rarely scores from open play and he offers no protection to the back four. I said we should have snapped Liverpool's hands off last summer.

Guest Ricardomeister

With only 1 year on his contract I cannot see the fee going above £10 million, unless Man City come in for him. On today's performance we will not be losing a lot as he seemed disinterested. Then again so did quite a few others!

I said no before and it's even more of a no after today. He doesn't look interested and he's too slow to get forward or get back. He rarely scores from open play and he offers no protection to the back four. I said we should have snapped Liverpool's hands off last summer.

I quite often don't agree with your posts but I've agreed with you on GB right from the get-go.

Â