Yes or no! Would you be bothered if Barry went?

jackso55

Would you be bothered if Barry went?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Barry went?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

Barry is one of our best players and it will obviously hurt to lose him. Mind you having him stay now would be like a new signing!

I think losing him will be like a new signing, in a very weird way

spot on

losing him will free remove a lot of the shackles that hold our midfield back

I voted no, but with the usual proviso of "aslong as he's replaced with quality"

The midfield balance is wrong for us and him going may make it easier for Martin to address this. I'd also say that if he went last year it would have been a bad signal to send out, but him going this summer is just the usual 'get what you can as he will go for free in 12 months' sort of scenario most teams go through.

Best player at Villa for donkey's years!

:crylaugh: He's too slow, he only scores penalties, he rarely shoots, he doesn't create goals, he gives away too many free kicks because of his lack of pace, he always gets knackered in the 2nd half and runs out of energy, he can't tackle, he can't header, no right foot. We won't miss him, get a young creative midfielder who actually scores a few goals alongside Petrov and you'll see.

I agree with none of this. In fact the complete opposite of what is said here for me.

Best player at Villa for donkey's years!

:crylaugh: He's too slow, he only scores penalties, he rarely shoots, he doesn't create goals, he gives away too many free kicks because of his lack of pace, he always gets knackered in the 2nd half and runs out of energy, he can't tackle, he can't header, no right foot. We won't miss him, get a young creative midfielder who actually scores a few goals alongside Petrov and you'll see.

I agree with none of this. In fact the complete opposite of what is said here for me.

He's really quick, he only scores from open play, he always shoots, he creates loads of goals, he doesn't give away fouls because he's so quick, he never runs out of energy?

Is that your opinion or was it posting for effect?

He's too slow (no he's not), he only scores penalties, he rarely shoots (not his primary function), he doesn't create goals (yes he does), he gives away too many free kicks because of his lack of pace (no he doesn't), he always gets knackered in the 2nd half and runs out of energy (no he doesn't), he can't tackle (yes he can), he can't header (so what?), no right foot (so what?)

Opinions eh ? :lol:

I don't agree with most of what you say BCV, hes a quality player and has the respect from managers in our game including Capello, O'Nell and Benetiez. If he s starting for England on a regular basis, he can't be as bad as you make out?

But you are entitled to your opinion, BOF corrected your statement to a more accurate description of Gareth Barry, IMO of course.

He does have a right foot, he showed this against Hull.

From the things they've been saying in public all season, if just the players voted in this poll the percentage "yes" would be a lot higher than 49%. They all seem desperate for him to stay and I think that counts for a lot.

It's all about opinions or the way each of us see things. I'm in agreement with all of BOF's comments on and changes to BCV's original and especially:

He's too slow (no he's not)
When Barry sees a gap and an opportunity to get an attack moving he can really shift like the clappers. With great long strides.

It's all about opinions or the way each of us see things. I'm in agreement with all of BOF's comments on and changes to BCV's original and especially:
He's too slow (no he's not)
When Barry sees a gap and an opportunity to get an attack moving he can really shift like the clappers. With great long strides.
As indeed he did on Monday in the move that led to our goal.

I'd love to see him playing in the holding role for us as he does for England, but he's our best midfielder in terms of on the ball quality, so he's asked to play the more attacking role for us.

But if him going is the catalyst for the rejuvination of our midfield then so be it!!

Am I reading that people think Barry is FAST?
Not in this thread, you're not. Just that he can move quickly when he needs to in order to set up an attack/exploit a defensive gap. I'd be interested to see your argument against that point rather than against some invented position that no-one holds.

Am I reading that people think Barry is FAST? As in can move quickly? He's a good player but he is as slow as they come.

No, you are reading that people don't think he's TOO slow. It is not as black and white as implying he is fast.

My argument is that despite making fewer tackles than a lot of CMs he commits more fouls - not because he is dirty or bad at tackling but because he gets caught out by people running round/past him because he's too slow (He's commited more than both Nolan and Mikel). He also is too slow to go past someone who's not standing still and has to rely on repeatedly turning back on himself to make enough space for a pass which takes time and is costly to our counter attacks.

There is no minimum required top speed or acceleration so he will never be officially too slow but his lack of pace severely restricts the opportunities he gets to start attacks (either by winning possession or bursting past someone) IMO... naturally.

Barry is a genuinely classy player, one of the best central midfielders in the league. But no player is irreplaceable. If he wants to go then fine, he has paid his dues and been an excellent servant to the club. Thanks and so long Gareth, thanks for the memories.

He's too slow (no he's not), he only scores penalties, he rarely shoots (not his primary function), he doesn't create goals (yes he does), he gives away too many free kicks because of his lack of pace (no he doesn't), he always gets knackered in the 2nd half and runs out of energy (no he doesn't), he can't tackle (yes he can), he can't header (so what?), no right foot (so what?)

Opinions eh ? :lol:

I don't agree with most of what you say BCV, hes a quality player and has the respect from managers in our game including Capello, O'Nell and Benetiez. If he s starting for England on a regular basis, he can't be as bad as you make out?

But you are entitled to your opinion, BOF corrected your statement to a more accurate description of Gareth Barry, IMO of course.

He does have a right foot, he showed this against Hull.

err - in respect of getting respect from capello, o'neill and benitez, and starting a lot for england - that was the argument for signing heskey wasnt it - and just about everyody except perhaps his mum would agree that he has been wa nk for us so far. remeber - lee dixon played a lot for england, but it didnt mean he was a great player.

oh yeah - and that shot against hull - well that makes two right footed shots on target from him in 10 years by my reckoning...

Thanks for coasting along as an overweight average player for years and years before reaching your biological peak and becoming a good player.

Thanks for being one of the most boring footballers\ captains Ive ever watched or listen too.

Thanks for being the savior of the England midfield, by sitting deep & passing it sideways 5yards to Gerrard for a couple of games.

Thanks for then believing the hype about those England performances and then trying to burn all ties to this club and leave on the cheap.

Thanks for being able to fill in for Hargreaves while he had his knee op.

Thanks for the memories. Don't let the door hit you on your fat arse on the way out.

Â