Yes or no! Would you be bothered if Barry went?

jackso55

Would you be bothered if Barry went?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Barry went?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

simple.....to kick on and challenge the top four you need quality players.....

...and if barry was top four quality maybe the rest of the top four would be trying a bit harder to sign him...

Massive yes. Our best CM by far. Reminds me of Gary McCallister for his ability to make space and pick a pass. He was good again tonight.

IMO it is not Barry that causes our last 20 minute panics of the last 5 or 6 games but Stan - he cannot play for 90 minutes but MON cannot seem to see this. Barry is an offensive midfielder and a link player. He needs a partner with an engine (NRC IMO is perfect) to release him to play in Jimmy and Ash or link up with the CFs. He was great last year with NRC behind him but we were unbalanced without a RW. Anyone who thinks that Stan can do everything Barry does is watching a different Villa team to me.

Why do you think that Plop and Arsenal were linked with him last summer and Cappello keeps picking him. He has the composure to play international football and keep the ball - Lamps and Gerard do not have this/the patience to be effective in this role - and Barry will look fantastic in Champions League - in a Liverpool side with Mascherano behind him and Gerrard and Torres in front of him - very similar to how Pirlo played for AC/Italy in front of Gattusoa dnmore mobile than Alonso IMO.

He simply isn't good enough going forward IMO. We need to get a CM with a knack for finding the goal and helping out with runs into the box. You don't see Barry doing this very often, in fact his tri-turn tonight and shot is the first I've seen him do in ages.

Petrov on the other hand is awesome at winning possession. His does his job very well and is superb at tackling. Barry can't tackle for toffee. His pathetic attempt at Kilbane today made me frustrated as ****. It's like he doesn't wanna get his shorts dirty.

If we are going to play 4-5-1 it will be a big blow, but for the 4-4-2 we've seen the last few months he is easy enough to replace.

sorry - barry is anything BUT an offensive midfielder.

his shot tonight was the first time i have seen him hit the target with his right foot in his entire villa career, and one of only about half a dozen times he has ever hit the target full stop, (except from the penalty spot).

compare how many goals barry scores per season compared to other offensive midfielders ie lampard, gerard etc. gerard is the king of last minute face saving goals for liverpool, barry is the king of the "disappearing midfield when under pressure for the last ten minutes of a game" for us.

i'm sorry - if i had mascherano covering my ar se, gerard winning the ball for me and torres running after every pass i played i'd look like a fookin world class central midfielder too!!!!

Sorry, you haven't read my post. I said that he is a link player and can open things up for the front four. I did not compare him to Lampard and Gerard as he is clearly a different type of player to them. I compared him to Pirlo and Alonso who I would class as offensive playmakers - European mould as opposed to the classic no 10's that we tend to call playmakers in this country. He is not a defensive CM. He can be a goal threat - as we saw more last season with NRC behind him which frees him up.

Astonished the voting is so close.

People wouldn't bothered if one of our best players (in my eyes the best) left?!

You'll miss him when he's gone, I guarantee it. As far as I'm concerned unless we win the league next year, no matter how well we do, whatever side we have, it would be better with Barry in it.

simple.....to kick on and challenge the top four you need quality players.....

...and if barry was top four quality maybe the rest of the top four would be trying a bit harder to sign him...

ehh? didn't Liverpool go for Barry for the whole of last summer?

does that mean no players outside the top 4 are top 4 standard?

arteta, jagielka, barry, King, woodgate, Lennon, Young, to name a few are all better than regulars like:

Djourou / Silvestre, Denilson, Kalou, Riera, Malouda etc..

I still view Barry the way I always have. On his day, among the best in England. But he's never shown that form consistantly at any point of his career.

He is prone to giving the ball away too often.

H'es a very good player. Just not great.

Barry is a very good player and I'll miss him when he is gone. However it won't bother me. Good players come and go, Barry will be replaced, we will get better and worse than him in this team and none of us will agree on which is which. Barry has done his time, he has done us proud and if he feels the time has come to move on then good luck to him (providing he does it in the right way).

No.

MON will always play Petrov and Barry as long as they are fit, they just don't compliment each other. So Barry leaving could be a blessing in disguise.

Yes..

Purely being that whatever replacement we get, they wouldn't be an improvment to Barry. I'm pretty glad Robbie Savage's playing days are all but over, as that would be O'Neill's replacement.

No.

MON will always play Petrov and Barry as long as they are fit, they just don't compliment each other. So Barry leaving could be a blessing in disguise.

Agreed. It's no coincidence that since they started playing together in a 4-4-2 we usually come under pressure in the last 20 minutes, thats because Petrov and Barry are both usually knackered after 70 minutes and provide no protection. Barry is too slow anyway, he gives away too many free kicks, he never scores from open play.

Play NRC with Petrov, sign a quality attacking midfielder/forward to play in front of them and drop Gabby.

Â