The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Lorna Shore

Billy Bragg

Of Mice and Men

Amity Affliction.

One of those is not like the others :D 

Yeah Lorna Shore are good, the rest are clearings in the woods :trollface:

Of similar ilk but not quite as varied I've got Lorna Shore and Jazz Sabbath next week as well. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So what's this all about then? 

It’s just Anton Newcombe (who is pretty much The Brian Jonestown Massacre) being his usual self and sacking a guitarist midway through the gig in Melbourne! 

Their shows are always on the periphery of being shambolic, with lots of awkward gaps between songs and Newcombe regularly getting into verbal contretemps with the audience. 

He must be a nightmare to work with! 

Shame as he writes some cracking tunes

• Thanks 1

Oh I have a gig tomorrow night now

The Vernons Future and St Vitus Dance. A Probe Plus Records night.

Even more unusual is that the missus is coming.

Potted history. Both bands released records on Probe Plus the label run by the recently deceased Geoff Davies, the gig ties in with some film about the label being shown (or premiered even) in St Helen's in the afternoon

St Vitus Dance - band originally from Northern Ireland but came to Liverpool to escape the Troubles. Most memorable thing is the singer Noel ended up being Mac's replacement in the Bunnymen when he flounced off the first time.

The Vernons (Now The Vernons Future) - bunch of students from Liverpool poly, now we have a couple of connections here. I used to work a bit with Andy Harding (the groups frontman) and his missus was a friend of a school friend of mine. Also my missus was a friend of Johnny Fiber from the band, who was sort of the musical genius of the band. Johnny Fiber has kind of made a fortune out of writing the music and lyrics for a stage adaptation of the Gruffalo which has been in the West end / Broadway / Sydney Opera House, which oddly started out being done by him as a laugh in his local church hall. Anyway, the missus is going to catch up with him hopefully

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I do hope there is also a band called The Littlewoods. 

Not to my knowledge.

EDIT: I'm not even sure it's related to Vernon's pools tbh I think it's to do with The Vernon Pub or the Mount Vernon Pub (no longer there but was on Mount Vernon - predates the pools massively), the Vernon pub being on the corner of Vernon St which has been called that a lot longer than Vernon Sangster founded Vernon's Pools between the wars

• Sad 1

Billy Bragg was on form, thoroughly enjoyed it.

A solid set list and a couple of backing musicians adding a little bit of rolling Hammond type sound and a lap steel guitar which were used just enough, on about a third to a half of the set.

A thing of beauty and majesty. Crowd in good voice too, boisterous and sing a long loud without getting lairy.

A very good evening, but then it was a last minute freebie to a sold out gig so it was always going to be positive.

• Like 3

Squeeze are doing a 50th anniversary tour next year.

£41 for the crappest seats at Symphony Hall up to £124 😳

Add in the rip off extras they add on plus travel expenses and food/drink it’s another one I’d like to see but won’t bother.

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Add in the rip off extras they add on plus travel expenses and food/drink it’s another one I’d like to see but won’t bother.

How much would you like to see them out of 10?

56 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How much would you like to see them out of 10?

Actually saw Jools on a cruise, he has a steak house named after him and all sorts on board, but he only does jazz type stuff which I find boring even though he does it well.

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I saw them in Guildford the other  year … they do a decent set and engage well with the crowd 

• Like 1

@tonyh29 more inside tales from the Bunnymen

Did you see the cancelled gig in America the other day, played 3 or 4 songs and Mac left the stage ?

It wasn't illness, he couldn't remember the words to the songs. Well I guess it is an illness but not the sort that one suddenly comes down with mid set

He really needs help but he also really needs to help himself too and that bit doesn't seem like it's on the cards anytime soon

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

@tonyh29 more inside tales from the Bunnymen

Did you see the cancelled gig in America the other day, played 3 or 4 songs and Mac left the stage ?

It wasn't illness, he couldn't remember the words to the songs. Well I guess it is an illness but not the sort that one suddenly comes down with mid set

He really needs help but he also really needs to help himself too and that bit doesn't seem like it's on the cards anytime soon

Doesn't bode well  , they've got quite a few UK dates  , hope they do the decent thing and cancel rather than things getting messy 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s where Dylan has an advantage over so many other artists, nobody knows if he ever learnt the lyrics.

Very true. Not only does he make up new lyrics on the fly, he does the same with the tunes. 'Guess what song this is?' is a favourite game at a Bob gig. 

Â