The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

• 2 weeks later...
Saw James in Liverpool on Friday night

t'was James with a difference in that instead of it being a drink 10 pints and jumping about concert , it was a more sedate gig from them in that they played with a full orchestra and choir

Wasn't sure how it was going to work but as we had VIP tickets we were allowed into the sound check before hand and it took about 3 seconds to realise that we were due to see something a bit special later that night

We were front row so a bit too close to the speaker which made it a tad bassy for the first song whilst they sorted it out but once that was resolved it was almost flawless.

Tim Booth has one of the best voices in music (imo) and the new arrangements really suited his voice , possibly if you weren't already a fan it wouldn't convert you .but it was without doubt the best concert I've ever been to

the new arrangements just worked so well , the songs sounded better than ever , everyone on stage was having fun and you get to appreciate the wall of sound that an orchestra can make to complement rock /pop songs

and we still got to jump up and down a bit as well

I had a free ticket to see them in Istanbul but I turned it down due to the fact I had a 7 hour teaching day the next day.

Feedback from those who went pretty much echo yours and I'm a tad annoyed I didn't go.

Saw James in Liverpool on Friday night

t'was James with a difference in that instead of it being a drink 10 pints and jumping about concert , it was a more sedate gig from them in that they played with a full orchestra and choir

Wasn't sure how it was going to work but as we had VIP tickets we were allowed into the sound check before hand and it took about 3 seconds to realise that we were due to see something a bit special later that night

We were front row so a bit too close to the speaker which made it a tad bassy for the first song whilst they sorted it out but once that was resolved it was almost flawless.

Tim Booth has one of the best voices in music (imo) and the new arrangements really suited his voice , possibly if you weren't already a fan it wouldn't convert you .but it was without doubt the best concert I've ever been to

the new arrangements just worked so well , the songs sounded better than ever , everyone on stage was having fun and you get to appreciate the wall of sound that an orchestra can make to complement rock /pop songs

and we still got to jump up and down a bit as well

I had a free ticket to see them in Istanbul but I turned it down due to the fact I had a 7 hour teaching day the next day.

Feedback from those who went pretty much echo yours and I'm a tad annoyed I didn't go.

Same here, saw them twice, last time at Symphony hall, amazing band. If it wasnt for Tim's illness they would have been a huge band. Their last 3 albums are like a breath of fresh air.

James meh! worked for them now and again at their peak, dullsville! Too much mung bean for my liking

Myself and Mr Bland are off to see the Besnard Lakes on Friday and I'm off out to see Dave Jackson perform songs from Cathedral Mountain and Benny Profane on Thursday at the launch of his Lyrics book, should be a good couple of days (I'll be photographing the Dave Jackson Gig too)

Bicks will be pleased to know that James' first ever gig was as support act for Big Country

Could have had 2 for the price of 1 :-)

No it wasn't

EDIT: Had to check but I was correct, first gig was in Darwen's 21 Club (advertised as "James (not a poet)" (August 82)

First gig as just James was supporting New Order at the Haçienda (Fac 51) in November 82

I read it on the web somewhere the other week but the history page on the james web site tells it as you posted above

After a quick browse i found the link where i saw bc mentioned , it is a bit confusing / conflicting from the official website ??

http://tinyurl.com/cnro63y

Never trust anything you read on the interweb kids !!!

Very much doubt Big Country were even touring in 82, they were "between albums" and didn't really gain any (and I mean any) success until 84 and Fields of Fire, when I had the misfortune to see the **** live (I think I was Front Stage Security), Bagpipe Rock, ironic really as NONE OF THEM were born in Scotland!

Alabama 3 last night, Cardiff Coal Exchange, superb

support band were my now new fave band Johnny Cage and the Voodoo Groove

good dirty rock n roll fun with burlesque strippers and a pole dancer

a bit fragile today

My girlfriend is currently watching rihanna at the lg arena with free VIP pass about 10 yards from her.

Obviously told her to get me her panties and a photo of them getting each other off. Hopes for that aren't great though

Deep Purple supported by the mighty Cheap Trick (reason for visit!) at the LG Arena Sunday.

Another sixty something who knows how to entertain!

Rick_Nielsen.jpg

:notworthy: :clap:

That's ridiculous and awesome.

Frank Turner the other night in Newport was terrific, Newport however is a **** shithole that needs blowing up asap. One of the few times I was concerned for my safety walking round those dingy streets trying to find an appallingly badly sign posted venue ( a leisure centre, so no bar either - though probably wise not to get the newport locals all liquored up in the same general vicinity )

next week flogging molly at cardiff coal exchange should hopefully be an altogether enjoyable night not bookended by fear.

• 2 weeks later...
Â