The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Old School  (2003)   I finally got around to watching this movie the other night .Had read lots of good reviews about it being a really funny film and have to say it did not disappoint me.I thought Will Ferrell was brilliant in this  8/10 for me.

I do love how the first line in any of his short but sweet reviews almost always seem to tell us whether he's seen the film previously or not :D

The French Connection  (1971) I decided to watch one of my "Oldies" last night and decided on this. Great film in my opinion .Hard to believe it is more than 40 years since i first saw this film at the cinema .Where has my life gone !  :unsure:

Gunfight At The Ok Corral   (1957)   I was about 8 years of age when i last watched this film. It has always stayed in my mind ,probably because one of my favourite all time actors,Kirk Douglas is in it and he is brilliant in his role as Doc Holiday .In my opinion this is one of the best westerns ever made Recommended

Treasure Island (2012)   I had never seen this version of Treasure Island and must say i thought it was pretty good. Eddie Izzard who i had always assumed was just a comedian ,was really good in this. Recommended

Old School  (2003)   I finally got around to watching this movie the other night .Had read lots of good reviews about it being a really funny film and have to say it did not disappoint me.I thought Will Ferrell was brilliant in this  8/10 for me.

Keep 'em coming pooligan.
Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

The Damned United - watched this again the other night... I love Sheen's performance as Clough. Not sure how true to life the story was but the film is very good. 8/10

• Like 1

My biggest problem with Godzilla was that it was unnecessarily long. They tried to hard to put off the big monster fight to focus on the human characters but they weren't really interesting. If they had just had the big fight as soon as the monsters met and had the movie down to 90 minutes it would have been a much better movie.

Plot spoiler:

I don'r understand why Bryan Cranston's character was killed the way he was, it really lacked drama.

and the fact that pretty much after he died, he was forgotten about, really odd.

both spot on

it started really well, trying to be this interesting human story then descended in to your average hollywood america, **** yeah! while there is a monster having a scrap in the back ground

there were 3 really cheap bits, one was the train, you know that masterplan mission with a load of nukes and just the 20 blokes, which of course he was the only survivor, of course he was the only one who stayed behind to kill the eggs, and of course he was the only one who survived on the boat...

also like most of the reviews are saying, they wasted his wife

still a good enough film, probably a 6 or 7 /10, which is 6 or 7 times better than pacific rim

Old School (2003) I finally got around to watching this movie the other night .Had read lots of good reviews about it being a really funny film and have to say it did not disappoint me.I thought Will Ferrell was brilliant in this 8/10 for me.

Yeah it's one of the best Ferrell Vaughan films

21 Jump Street - I actually really enjoyed it and I didn't think I would at all. Channing Tatum seems pretty cool and doesn't take himself too seriously like you might expect Hollywood beefcakes would. Fair play to him.

21 Jump Street - I actually really enjoyed it and I didn't think I would at all. Channing Tatum seems pretty cool and doesn't take himself too seriously like you might expect Hollywood beefcakes would. Fair play to him.

Saw it last week, good film. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill work well together..

I think they've just done filming 22 jump street, which should be good.

22 jump street is out in about 3 weeks i think, 21 jump street is a great film, the missus has made me watch it about 5 times

as for channing tatum, i thought pretty much the same, watch this is the end or whatever its called, his cameo had me in stitches

• Like 3

Godzilla.

Pros

- Well paced.

- Sounds great.

- Looks great.

- Monsters suitably menacing.

- Ken Watanabe

- Good Monster fight.

- No cheesy wisecracks

- Generally does everything a monster movie should.

Cons

- Criminal underuse of 1) Juliette Binoche and 2) Elizabeth Olsen

- Beefcake Military Man to the rescue is tedious. Especially when all wife does is cry and look worried. Stop it, Hollywood.

- Allusions to Spielberg films only serve to highlight the biggest flaw - the characters are dull. Spielberg films hinge on good characters, not the spectacle.

- Not enough threat. What I mean is, there was never a moment in which I felt anything could happen. It was predictable, especially when Godzilla's motivations were clear.

6/10.

Can we have more of this sort of thing.

I would like the full Zizek but that might be asking a bit too much. :)

Is 'X-Men

No

I watched it. Fassbender was predictably great (apart from the jarring Irish accent), but aside from that, it was terrible.

I just don't get X-Men, I guess.

I love the X-Men, watched the 90's cartoon and read the comics avidly growing up, but the movies have never done them justice. It might be that superhero films that aren't bound by the laws of reality just don't really translate to film very well, but I think Avengers Assemble proved that it can be done.

• Like 1

Is 'X-Men

No

I watched it. Fassbender was predictably great (apart from the jarring Irish accent), but aside from that, it was terrible.

I just don't get X-Men, I guess.

I love the X-Men, watched the 90's cartoon and read the comics avidly growing up, but the movies have never done them justice. It might be that superhero films that aren't bound by the laws of reality just don't really translate to film very well, but I think Avengers Assemble proved that it can be done.

The theme tune from the X Men cartoon was excellent also. I remember there being quite a bit of Spiderman cross over in the cartoon too, which was always good.

22 jump street is out in about 3 weeks i think, 21 jump street is a great film, the missus has made me watch it about 5 times

as for channing tatum, i thought pretty much the same, watch this is the end or whatever its called, his cameo had me in stitches

Yeah that was brilliant

• Like 1

Â