The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Going back to Battle Royale/Hunger Games, there is a lot more in common between the two than them being about kids killing each other. Consider the fact that both are set in a Dystopian Society, where the actions of the 'game' we witness leads to a revolution/uprising against the oppressive government/rulers. In both a relationship flourishes, despite all the killin n that. And when you think about the 'game' itself, they both have rules where only one is supposed to survive, yet two do. They have a random selection of weapons distributed to the combatants, although the stronger 'players' have a monopoly on the better stuff. Plus, there are stronger players in the game who want to be there, and want to kill.

I'm aware that the author of the Hunger Games has said that she had never even heard of Battle Royale. Could very well be true, but then again, yeah she couldve took bits from it, ans sunk her own characters in to a similar scenario. I just thought it worth mentioning, cos when you look at other 'survivor game' type stories from film, tv, books, etc. like The Running Man, The Long Walk, Exam, Future Diary, Gantz, The Condemned, Killing Room, and so on, they do it in a much more varied way than BR/HG.

• Like 1

4 Ways Hollywood Is Completely Imploding

David Christopher Bell

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have predicted that Hollywood is about to implode -- that is, smaller movies will move to TV, and bigger ones will be a shitload more expensive to see in cinemas. But what do they know? It's not like they invented the Hollywood blockbus- oh. Well, it turns out they're totally wrong: The Hollywood implosion isn't in the future, because it's already happening.

#4. $50 Movie Tickets Already Exist (in Select Cities)

One of the things Spielberg specifically predicted was that movie theaters were going to start acting more like theater theaters -- as in there will be fewer of them, and movies will start to cost more while sticking around longer.

Well, not one day after Spielberg opened his big mouth, Paramount announced that they would do exactly what he predicted -- only for twice the money. Starting with World War Z, moviegoers in select areas can now pay $50 for the new "Mega Ticket" ("Mega" in this case meaning "Really Expensive"). The ticket includes a future digital copy of the movie, custom 3D glasses, a movie poster, and a small popcorn (yes, a small one).

If this pays off, you can bet your ass more studios will start doing it. But that's for big budget movies. As for smaller ones, well ...

#3. Independent Films Are Already Leaving Theaters (for Streaming)

There used to be a time when a studio producer could get in his truck, drive through LA, and pick up a dozen eager indie filmmakers on the street like Mexican laborers. Take Kevin Smith -- the only reason he made it out of Jersey was because in the '90s Miramax was picking up every decent indie film they could find, including Smith's Clerks, Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, and 100 more movies you love.

Now Miramax is gone, but filmmakers like Smith don't need it anymore. Thanks to video-on-demand services like Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes, independent filmmakers don't need studios to get their movies out. In fact, VOD is actually giving the indie market buttloads more cash and attention than ever before. And while that's amazing news for the coke habits of the future Tarantinos out there, for Hollywood it's one more moneymaker lost.

Luckily, they have a terrible, terrible backup plan ...

#2. Hollywood Is Pandering (Badly) to Foreign Markets

As we've covered before, a big reason why Hollywood loves making big, dumb sequels is that they're easy to sell on the foreign market ... and as that market becomes more essential, the movies only get dumber. For instance, Iron Man 3 actually shot extra footage for its Chinese release, and it **** sucked.

Meanwhile, World War Z had to change part of its plot to avoid pissing off China's government/film industry, and even the Red Dawn remake had to replace China with North Korea. Oh, and if you think this will only happen to the mindless blockbuster films, think again. Remember that scene in Looper where Bruce Willis-Levitt goes to Shanghai? Yeah. That wasn't in the original script -- it was added because the movie had Chinese backing.

The catch is that while this trend is brand new, Chinese citizens are already getting sick of it, since it's so transparently stupid. On the upside, China is totally getting their own Netflix, and that has to be good for the movie industry, right?

#1. Without DVD Sales, Hollywood Can't Afford to Take Risks Anymore

For a long time, the home video market was a huge cash cow for the film industry -- they got a steady stream of profits from DVD sales, which enabled them to take some risks and greenlight some movies that weren't guaranteed hits because, **** it, they could afford it. What could possibly go wrong?

The Internet, with its magic ability to let you watch movies wherever you want (legally or illegally), murdered that cash cow, cooked its remains, and posted them to Instagram. The DVD market crashed, and that isn't just lowering Hollywood's profits, but the quality of its movies as well.

See, according to one producer, without DVD sales, the studios have no idea how to project their profits anymore. This means no long-shot risks, no pet projects, only movies that they absolutely know will do well on opening weekend and nothing else. So, Transformers 8, Pirates of the Caribbean 12, and 35 Fast 35 Furious.

With any luck, we're not far from a gritty reboot of Schindler's List starring the Rock as that girl with the red dress.

And that's why every other movie is a superhero film -- because superhero films are the only things they KNOW work. For now, anyway.

I've just watched my second Paolo Sorrentini film as both have been very well shot... this could turn into one of my favourite directors from a visual standpoint.

Gavin-Friday-This-Must-Be-The-Place-soun

The actual film... it was ok. I'd give it 7/10 thanks to the visuals. 

The real beauty is one I've probably already mentioned in this thread... 

MV5BMjEyMjA2NjQwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI5

10/10

I didn't realise until this week, I've had another of his movies in my collection for years.. The Consequences of Love. So I'll try that out soon, finally.

I've just watched my second Paolo Sorrentini film as both have been very well shot... this could turn into one of my favourite directors from a visual standpoint.

Gavin-Friday-This-Must-Be-The-Place-soun

Turned it off once i recognized the blanchardstown shopping center  

Watched Sightseers last night and much prefered it to Kill List to be honest.

Nice to hear Brummie accents in a film, even if they were two total psycho head cases!!!!

Very funny in an extremely dark way and worth a watch.

Ben Wheatley's next film A Field In England premieres this Friday (5th July) and will be shown on Film 4 at 2245hrs - skybox is set to record!

• Like 1

With any luck, we're not far from a gritty reboot of Schindler's List starring the Rock as that girl with the red dress.

I'd watch the shit out of that.

I watched Lincoln last night and really enjoyed it. I did go into it being aware of what it was unlike most of my friends who saw it on release at the cinema, so I was very much in the right frame of mind for it which I think most people need to be.

DDL was, as always, superb, but Tommy Lee Jones gets a special mention from me.

I tell you what though, as a sequel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, it certainly was quite a different direction to take the franchise.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Watched an oldie goldie last night. Mississippi burning. Gene Hackman is IMO a very, very good actor. And Defoe not far behind him. I hadn't seen it in about 20 years but it was still very good. It was on TV and wasn't finished untill 4:15 a.m., but I had no problem trying to stay awake. It almost feels like a forgotten film as I can't find it on dvd, nevermind bluray. Or netflix either, for that matter. Shame.

• Like 1

Watched an oldie goldie last night. Mississippi burning. Gene Hackman is IMO a very, very good actor. And Defoe not far behind him. I hadn't seen it in about 20 years but it was still very good. It was on TV and wasn't finished untill 4:15 a.m., but I had no problem trying to stay awake. It almost feels like a forgotten film as I can't find it on dvd, nevermind bluray. Or netflix either, for that matter. Shame.

Great film, the barbershop scene is brilliant.

Great film, the barbershop scene is brilliant.

Indeed it is. And the scene where Hackman talks to the deputies when they're drinking beer in that illegal place and he grabs one of them by the balls.

And tonight I've watched Jack Reacher. Enjoyed it, definitely. Cruise worked as Reacher, even though he's supposed to be huge.

this is the end

good, very funny in several places, helps if you like the actors cos its not exactly story driven, its mainly those actors playing up to assumptions and media portrails, danny mcbride pretty much steals it, the only flaw in it was jay baruchel being the central character, i dont really like him

i cant remember the last time i laughed as much as channing tatum's cameo

Just read that Jim Kelly has died :(

Best remembered for his role in Enter the Dragon (best martial arts movie ever imo)

110942.jpg

"Man, you come right out of a comic book!"

RIP.

• Like 2

Â