The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Pacific Rim appears to be heading towards flop takings if the predictions are on the money.

:(

Eh it's not out anywhere till the 12th?

Tracking/projections. They extrapolate potential takings from public interest/awareness, release dates, competition, even things like how similar movies have played to audiences. Pacific Rim is tracking rottenly.

Although of course it's not a perfect science(films have tracked badly and outdone expectations, films have tracked spectacularly well and tanked), generally a studio would prefer a film to track well. There's also lots of talk of the Pacific Rim's marketing budget only really kicking in now which, if true, might kick it up a gear.

Have you just copied that off the Empire podcast?

I fully understand it means **** all though, i dunno why they bother; World War Z 'tracked' badly before and did well. Man of Steel 'tracked' well then didn't do so well (after the first week).

Edited by VillaForever1970

Europa Report 

8/10

I started watching this fearing the worst 6.4 out of 10 on IMDB e.t.c however i was pleasantly surprised it is one of if not the best Science Fiction film released since Moon

I hope to see more films like this not enough Sci Fi at the minute

Europa Report 

8/10

I started watching this fearing the worst 6.4 out of 10 on IMDB e.t.c however i was pleasantly surprised it is one of if not the best Science Fiction film released since Moon

I want 89 mins of my life back

I watched 'A Serious Man' last night.

It was excellent. But then, we've come to expect that from the Coen brothers. I heard complaints that it is too 'Jewish'. It isn't. Well, maybe you'd get more of the inside jokes but it doesn't take anything away from the film, which is essentially a retelling of the Book of Job (which I think is the best book in the bible) but the Coens throw in elements of their own philosophy in life.  

The end momentarily pissed me off but with time to digest the film, it does make sense.

I've seen it twice and it's a film I just don't like. I LOVE the Coen Brothers. But this is one of the films I just can't like despite wanting too. Ah well we can't love them all. 

I watched 'A Serious Man' last night.

It was excellent. But then, we've come to expect that from the Coen brothers. I heard complaints that it is too 'Jewish'. It isn't. Well, maybe you'd get more of the inside jokes but it doesn't take anything away from the film, which is essentially a retelling of the Book of Job (which I think is the best book in the bible) but the Coens throw in elements of their own philosophy in life.  

The end momentarily pissed me off but with time to digest the film, it does make sense.

I've seen it twice and it's a film I just don't like. I LOVE the Coen Brothers. But this is one of the films I just can't like despite wanting too. Ah well we can't love them all. 

I think that's a common theme with the Coens. Even if you're a fan, there's certain films of theirs that don't appeal to some people, yet do to others.

I love them. But films like Raising Arizona and Miller's Crossing do nothing for me. Yet other love them.

I watched Se7en last night for the first time since it came out. It was almost like watching it for the first time again. I don't remember the final scene being as tense as it was. Good stuff :D

I watched Se7en last night for the first time since it came out. It was almost like watching it for the first time again. I don't remember the final scene being as tense as it was. Good stuff :D

Not as tense as this alternate ending though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7MkQJuaOrc

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I love both Raising Arizona and Millers Crossing. Think Barton Fink & Hudsucker Proxy is where the dipped before their peak with Fargo & Big Lebowski. Dipped again with Lady Killers and Intolerable Cruelty before bouncing back to form with No Country, Burn After Reading, True Grit. 

Personal taste that is.

Blood Simple is up there with Badlands & Reservoir Dogs as unbelievable debut films. 

Edited by CVByrne

Miller's Crossing is a masterpiece. I'm going to watch it again later. Sorted.

I even watched it a second time in an effort to enjoy it. BUt couldn't. Thought it was easily the dullest film they've made.

But as I said above, I think that's just a theme of their films. They rarely suit everyone.

Not as tense as this alternate ending though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7MkQJuaOrc

Who's yer man in the box?

• Like 1

Europa Report 

8/10

I want 89 mins of my life back

Did you think 2001 a space odyssey was naff as well

Olympus has Fallen 

7/10

Seeing Gerard Butler break faces never gets old

Edited by AshVilla

Flight - very misleading in a good way, the film is not about what you expect it to be. Denzel superb as always. Very good. 8.5/10

Saw Man of Steel last week too. It was good, definitely the best superman film (not hard) but the last half paled in comparison to the first. Just became a lazy copycat of all the best bits of Thor/Avengers and Star Trek rolled up in a red cape. 6.5/10

Coens are very hit and miss for me. No COuntry I thought was dreadful and dull though Bardem is very good in it but Fargo and Miller's Crossing are very entertaining

Â