The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I saw Place Beyond The Pines. I'm firmly on the side of those who have seen it that really enjoyed it. True, the pacing may be difficult for some to carry on enjoying the film after 'Act 1', but I didn't have a problem with it. I was looking forward to what was inevitably going to happen at the start of 'Act 3', and how the characters would interact. One of the best I've seen this year, certainly.

There was also a trailer for Mud. In it, a young boy is shown (very briefly) wearing a Fugazi shirt. OMMMMMMMG FUGAZI SHIRTS DONT EVEN EXIST, Ian gon' be mad. Unless that's the point ^__^ It might have been a This Is Not A Fugazi Shirt?

I want to see it just for the soundtrack, By the genius that is Mike Patton

Big Patton fan myself, but honestly, the soundtrack isn't amazing or anything. Some songs you'll already be familiar with (not Patton ones) are used to good effect, but the original stuff is mostly just droning guitars. There's one particular scene were it is incredibly effective, but for the rest of the film...eh.

I saw Place Beyond The Pines. I'm firmly on the side of those who have seen it that really enjoyed it. True, the pacing may be difficult for some to carry on enjoying the film after 'Act 1', but I didn't have a problem with it. I was looking forward to what was inevitably going to happen at the start of 'Act 3', and how the characters would interact. One of the best I've seen this year, certainly.

There was also a trailer for Mud. In it, a young boy is shown (very briefly) wearing a Fugazi shirt. OMMMMMMMG FUGAZI SHIRTS DONT EVEN EXIST, Ian gon' be mad. Unless that's the point ^__^ It might have been a This Is Not A Fugazi Shirt?

I want to see it just for the soundtrack, By the genius that is Mike Patton

Big Patton fan myself, but honestly, the soundtrack isn't amazing or anything. Some songs you'll already be familiar with (not Patton ones) are used to good effect, but the original stuff is mostly just droning guitars. There's one particular scene were it is incredibly effective, but for the rest of the film...eh.

I had a quick rip through on spotify but i'll give it a try anyway :) Thanks for that though, good to hear what you think :)

I liked the look of mud, was good seeing a place beyond the pines, there were 4 I spose indie trailers (and iron man) I struggled with act 3, it started to drag

And I agree plan b is good in Harry brown, the police interview scene in particular

Re-watching Heaven's Gate. Supposedly one of the worst films ever made.

I see no reason to change my verdict of 'flawed masterpiece'.

I've just seen Legend starring Tom Cruise... Now that has to be one of the worst films ever made

Re-watching Heaven's Gate. Supposedly one of the worst films ever made.

I see no reason to change my verdict of 'flawed masterpiece'.

I've just seen Legend starring Tom Cruise... Now that has to be one of the worst films ever made

Ah no it isn't that bad. It's **** creepy though for a PG. You'd have to be one sadistic parent to allow your children to watch that. 

Harry Brown has just finished. Better film than I remembered. 

Recently saw Life of Pi and Prometheus. Two films that interestingly share some common themes, though I wouldn't have picked that before I saw them.

Really liked Life of Pi. Thought it looked absolutely gorgeous. Enjoyed the story and thought the CGI was top notch.

Prometheus was also really good IMO. Really atmospheric with stunning but muted visuals. The actual story was pretty straightforward but the symbolism and ideas presented were really interesting.

Watched two films over the weekend -

1) House At The End of The Street: Pretty formulaic plotline and predictable outcome. Still, it had Jennifer Lawrence (and a still foxy Elizabeth Shue) in it so it wasn't too bad! Wouldn't bother spending money to rent it but if on TV worth a watch.

2) Rust & Bone: A slow paced but intriguing French film with Marion Cottilard who befriends a wannabe boxer following losing her legs in a freak Orca accident. Really very good.

Finally watched Ted in its entirety. It's exactly what I expected. 7/10

Remember The Titans. Not sure how this had avoided me 'til now given the subject matter and cast. Funny to see a wimpy Ryan Gosling in it. Denzel does his usual (brilliant). It goes slightly the wrong side of cheesy-feel-good at times but hey, it's a true story so whatcha gonna do. 8/10

How To Make Love To A Woman starring Breaking Bad's Krysten Ritter. Only watched it for her and the IMDb rating of 4.0/10 is about right. Still, it's a good 4 if you get me.

Watched In Bruges again too. Absolutely brilliant.

Citizen Kane.Quite good!

I really want to see that but it never seems to be on telly and I'm not buying it.

Re-watched The 40 Year Old VIrgin and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang yesterday

Both brilliant comedies in totally different ways.

Kiss Bang Bang is very underrated movie. though might help Im a big fan of Val Kilmer

Kiss Bang Bang is very underrated movie. though might help Im a big fan of Val Kilmer

It's Excellent. The dialogue in that film is superb.

You'd more than like Iron Man 3 then, even if you hate comic book films; same writer and director...

You'd more than like Iron Man 3 then, even if you hate comic book films; same writer and director...

You don't know how wrong you are.

Â