The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Haven't watched Schindlers list for about 4 years. I liked it when I first watched it but probably didn't understand it all properly as I didn't know much about that sort of stuff back then, would like to give that a watch again if anyone knows how to get that sort of thing on the computer...for free..

this Moon film everyone's talking about, is it the one with Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey?

The very same

Does Spacey fly there with AA?

No but he does take his dog out for walk at 4:30 am whilst searching the skys for Uranus

No you dont get to see spaceys worlds smuggest man effort, watched it tonight liked it alot, even right at the end I was convinced something else was going to happen, rockwell should have got an oscar nod, 1 downer the gf was somehow convinced it was a film about the 60s landings moaned for half an hour then fell asleep, idiot

Moon (amongst others) deserves more praise than Avatar. If Cameron wins one bloody Oscar (which he will), then I'll be disgusted....

Depends for all its bobbins and un-original story line its still a spectacle and an original one at that. It certainly had an effect on you, you like pointing out every day how crap it is! ;)

Films being personal, perhaps the academy members decided they enjoyed it as a spectacle and appreciated the work that went into it and thats why it was nominated.

I notice its not up for any writing awards, there you go as my nephew could have written it! ;)

Is there some rule with Oscars that it should just be the best scripted, best acted, most original film? There are plenty like that up for it, yet people in another thread are complaining that The Hurt Locker is not realistic!

As i said personal opinions.

Blade Runner was given terrible reviews when first released, people now see it as brilliant, whilst others think its boring.

Better watch out though, there are people like Tony around who think films get worse with age! ;)

If Inglorious Basterds gets a few I'd be chuffed though, especially Christopher Waltz.

He has to be a near certainty. According to wikipedia, for his role in 'Basterds' he has already won

Austin Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actor

Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor

Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Cast

Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

Detroit Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor

Florida Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor

Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture

Hollywood Film Festival Award for Best Supporting Actor

Houston Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor

Las Vegas Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor

Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor

New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor

Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor

San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor

Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actor - Motion Picture

Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Southeastern Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

Toronto Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

Washington DC Area Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor

So I'd say he's in with a chance

As a sort of anti-recommendation, I've just watched Alien vs Predator 2.

**** hell. I wasn't expecting much but still... I mean... it takes skill, I'm sure, to come up with that many characters that bad you have the audience wanting to see them all snuff it. And damnit the film tries hard to please. I wish I could elaborate on that without spoiling the manner of things but crikey, the end is just Indiana Jones in a fridge stuff.

It even fails at fan service. They shoved the Alien/Predator hybrid in and well, its the best thing about the film but thats to damn with faint praise. The Predator spends the entire movie like some kind of intergalactic cleaner, sweeping up mess and sweeping everything away with what is best thought of as secret blue magic potion that never runs out. And then, in the middle of this clean up job where it's trying desperately hard not to be seen, it shoots up a powerstation with numerous explosions that aren't exactly inconspicuous.

Like I said, I knew I wasn't going to be seeing a good movie but as a fan of both series I've wanted to watch it for a while. I didn't think it was possible to really **** up when you've got a canon of work that's mostly good behind both, all you need to do to make a turn off your brain popcorn flick with this is come up with a series of scenarios in which both creations meet.

And somehow this managed to not even make that exciting. Even the gore's crap.

No great fan of Megan Fox or the new Transformers designs, I knew that'd be shit from the word go...

Last night while being unable to sleep I watched the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford for the first time. Absolutely spectacular. It's a slow burner - the film takes its time to tell what it is a very simple story but as a character examination it's brilliant. Brad Pitt's portrayal of Jesse James is genuinely fascinating. He's brutal and unhinged, paranoid and curious, he has charisma but also is mysterious. His character can only really be bettered by Casey Affleck's role as Robert Ford, a creep and hero worshiper with no rhythm, a wounded sense of pride and curious (almost vaguely autistic) ticks and mannerisms. Both roles are just brilliant.

Beautifully shot too, it makes use of an unfocused, diffracted might be the better word, effect on some scenes, effectively used as bookends to scenes, and as a whole the film feels foreboding, dark and heavy. Even thought you are absolutely aware of what is going to happen (the clues in the title ;)), the film manages to create tension and that is wholely helped by the cinematography.

Quite possibly one of the best films I've ever seen. If you like a film with a sense of quality and a lot of mood and atmosphere, this is right up your street.

Haven't watched Schindlers list for about 4 years. I liked it when I first watched it but probably didn't understand it all properly as I didn't know much about that sort of stuff back then, would like to give that a watch again if anyone knows how to get that sort of thing on the computer...for free..

I'm sure I've mentioned this before in this thread, but here you go again. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I watched it again tonight. It's a perfect Valentine's day film. Strike that. It is the perfect film for what Valentine's day represents. No actually strike all of that.

I think it is one of my favourite films. How Jim Carrey didn't get an oscar nomination for it, I don't think I'll ever understand

Â