The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw We Need To Talk About Kevin, and thought it was very very good. So glad I avoided any spoilers, so I did not know the nature of Kevin's crime until it was revealed on screen. Cracking stuff, really enjoyed how the plot was tantalisingly fed to the viewer via 'flashbacks' interspersed with present day scenes. The titular Kevin is probably one of the most despicable movie 'villains' I have ever seen

Looking forward to that one, as it's one of my favourite books.

618w_movies_melancholia_poster.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I pretty much refuse to recommend it as it is the very definition of a Marmite movie.

I loved it, and was still thinking about it a couple of days after I'd seen it, but a couple of people who I usually share a similar taste in movies with thought it was boring and over long.

Saw We Need To Talk About Kevin, and thought it was very very good. So glad I avoided any spoilers, so I did not know the nature of Kevin's crime until it was revealed on screen. Cracking stuff, really enjoyed how the plot was tantalisingly fed to the viewer via 'flashbacks' interspersed with present day scenes. The titular Kevin is probably one of the most despicable movie 'villains' I have ever seen

Looking forward to that one, as it's one of my favourite books.

Exactly my feelings too, by the sound of things this is a pretty good take on the book

Melancholia was great, really struggling to separate it from Drive as my film of the year. I've heard a lot of people moaning due to the way Von Trier shoots his films, but I thought it really added to the experience this time around. Oh and Dunst was fantastic, she really surprised me.

I've heard a lot of people moaning due to the way Von Trier shoots his films

Some people have criticised the opening sequence, personally I thought it was beautiful.

you're right about Dunst too, but to be fair the whole cast was superb (Gainsbourg brilliant as usual).

Yeah she was good, the first time I've really watched her myself, only saw 21 grams and I can't recognise her. She's had a bit of a strange career looking at her list of films!

She was great in 21 Grams, Antichrist and Science of Sleep.

Her music (album pictured below) is also very, very good. Talented lady.

charlotte-gainsbourg-irm-cover-art-61420.jpeg

I went to see Paranormal Activity 3 last night aswell. What a let down. I knew that it wouldn't be great but I was expecting it to be abit better than what it is! Number 2 is the best one so far and that wasn't exactly brilliant either. No doubt I shall be let down by the 4th one next year too. I know it will be shit but I will still go and watch it. It is quite good how they make some of the things happen though.

I thought the first one was the better of a bad pair of films to be honest. The second one was poor in my opinion, with far too much time spent on that water pump moving in the bloody pool.

The first one did at least make me jump at some points and it was rather creepy. The second one was like a poor attempt at using the same formula to do exactly the same things as the first and failing.

Safe to say that I won't be going to see the third film. They should have left it as a one off film, as opposed to continuing it for no reason. Oh wait, money...

shall be relaxing tonight with nice action courtesy of the Student Union, Matrix first then a Die Hard Marathon. Need a chance to switch my brain off. ( and in the spirit of any mention of a series of films - 3>1>4>2 - for me, and I like the 2nd one, but simply just a worse copy than the first, 3 and 4 are a little different in the character dynamics )

urgh, well after a long day exploring franco-german relations and then enjoyably watching the Matrix for the first time years - much more fun this time round oddly enough, I'm too tired for Die Hard. Yippee Kay Yay...sleep now. :P

Bunked off work this afternoon and took my lad to see Tin Tin

probably the best piece of animation ever made

and

probably the best 3-D on a film ever made , though that may be down to Woking Cinema upgrading to these rather swanky looking mirrored 3-D glasses

Still not a fan of 3D , the glasses are a pain and kinda restrict your peripheral visions but more 3D like Tin Tin and i may be converted

Wemt to see Contagion tuesday night, an alright film, makes you think about how easily something like that can be spread in society. However, its not really a film to watch at the cinema if that make sense, to much talking and theory, with not alot of action, so more of a dvd/night in film in my opinion.

Watched some crap film called Time Travellers Wife earlier where the bride and groom did their first dance to a sort of slow redneck version of Love Will Tear Us Apart, it wasn't ironic, it wasn't even taking the piss, they did it in all seriousness. Most bizarre.

I'm sure they didn't even realise in Hollywood...

Â