The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just saw End of Watch.

Didn't know anything about it. Really enjoyed it though.

It's a documentary style film about cops in LA, for anyone who doesn't know. 

Shit gets real.

I don't really like Gyllenhal, but he's pretty good in this one.

Watched Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps last night

It was ok.. but kind of pointless if that makes sense. Watchable but nothing really happens. 

Jack Reacher. What a pile of cliched shit. Some of his "quips" are so unbelievably lame, not much better than "I know you are but what am I?". Cruise looks like he's walking around puffing his chest out and sucking his gut in, too.

Star Trek 2 was very disappointing. Maybe it's because I don't really know anything about the characters or stories, but then again I liked the first one a lot. It just seemed... dull, I thought Cumberbatch was a good villain but thats about it.

So last night I went to see "Fast and Furious 6"

Not by choice. Couple of mates of mine wanted to see it so I just tagged along to be sociable and not sound like a cynical clearing in the woods by insisting we see something else.

God almighty it was terrible.

I mean, I was EXPECTING it to be rubbish, and it still surpassed my expectations.

I've never seen a film be so shit so quick. I mean, it was literally a crock of shit from the very first second of the film.

And you know what's annoying, Cineworld were showing it on 4 screens, there must have been a dozen showings between 6 and midnight, if not more. ALL sold out up to when we went in and the rest only had a few seats remaining.

I know that's hypocritical, because I was there. But how such a terrible film gets such huge audiences is madness.

Also (I don' know why I'm bothering to spoiler the next bit, but I will anyway. The plot of this film is about as complex as a spot the dog book)

there's a bit RIGHT at the end, where they set it up for a sequel and Jason Statham makes a very very brief cameo, obviously plugging that he'll be in the next one

The cinema went MENTAL. People were clapping. CLAPPING... for Jason Statham. Jason "straight to DVD" Statham. I just sat there, quietly shaking my head in despair

Far be it from me to be a film snob. I'm all for unrealistic, leave your brains at the door action flicks. But this film is a total pile of man mayonnaise. And it annoyed me how much people lapped it up.

There are two positives to the film I can think of. One double fight scene in the London Underground which was actually decent.

And, of course, The Rock.

Everything else about it was terrible.

I give it a "don't waste your **** time" out of 10.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

The plot of this film is about as complex as a spot the dog book

Ah, but have you seen the Spot version of 'Un Chien Andalou'?

Edited by GarethRDR

Looked laughably bad.

It absolutely is.

There were a couple of points where most of the cinema laughed when it clearly wasn't intended to be funny.

My all-time-favourite 'audience laughs when they're not supposed to' moment was when me and my mates went to the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. There's a bit when Anakin is in bed, and he starts writhing around a bit, the camera is just on his head so you can't see what is going on below, and he starts going 'oh no, no, oh nooo, no no'. For a group of 15 year old lads, it was hilarious. In fact if I watched it now I would still find it funny, I'm sure.

I just sat there, quietly shaking my head in despari

On the plus side, at least you got to watch the film in a nice part of the world.

Edited by hogso

My laughing moment when not intended is in titanic.. When the ship breaks up one bloke fell over the edge hit a propeller and started spinning himself as he dropped into the ocean.. Just thought it was hilarious.

Agree on fast and furious.I got dragged along too and it was absolutely dreadful.

Also the scene at the end with the plane. How long is the runway?

exactly! I said the same thing.

That scene was about 15 minutes long, with the cars and plane going full belt the whole time. So I'm guessing, 25-30 miles long?

Ridiculous

Edit: I checked. The longest runway in the world is about 3.5 miles long. Even if they were only doing 60, they'd have cleared that in under 4 minutes. :D

Edited by Stevo985

Looked laughably bad.

It absolutely is.

There were a couple of points where most of the cinema laughed when it clearly wasn't intended to be funny.

The whole film is meant to be funny, how anyone could moan about anything in that film is beyond me. Its quite clear its meant to be stupid after 5 mins, same with the previous ones as well.

There were comedy bits to it. And to be fair some of them were funny. But there were also bits that were obviously meant to be serious, and weren't.

As I said, I'm all for films that don't take themselves seriously, and films that you can watch without thinking about. In fact, I liked the first couple of this franchise because they were exactly that.

However:

how anyone could moan about anything in that film is beyond me.

Really? ANYTHING?

This film is poor. It makes the original look like the Shawshank Redemption

Edited by Stevo985

Yeah seriously, if you go into that film and moan that it has someone jumping from one car to another as ridiculous then why even bother going to see it? The trailer has them pulling down a plane with cars, a plane! But the runways not long enough? Oh okay then..

Ridiculous film, its hilarious the rock just sweats when standing still :lol:

I wasn't moaning about the runway, I was just saying, tongue in cheek, how long it would have to be.

But that's my point, I'm all for unrealistic films. But you draw a line somewhere, and this went over the line of silly action to plain ridiculous (See Die Hard 4.0 for another example that springs to mind)

As entertaining as it is to laugh at a film for being bad, it's still a bad film.

Speaking of bad films, I watched "Wyatt Earp's Revenge" yesterday.

With Val Kilmer on board, I was hoping for a "Tombstone" prequel, but no. He plays the ageing Earp (instead of his signature Doc Holliday), telling the story in flashback.

It's pretty terrible.

Â