The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Kids wanted to see Ice Age 4 today so off we went

Some of the gags go over the childrens heads but it was spit your drink out funny in places ..not seen any of the previous ice age films but I'll have to check them out now ....

Decent short Simpson 3-D film before it as well .. Might mean a Simpsons 3-d film to follow shortly ?

The first one is a really good family film. Even worthy of my time as a non family guy! The second was rather tedious and dragged out and never saw the third.

Will be interested in this now when it comes out of doovd. Cheers.

watched abraham lincoln

IMO for a concept that is so silly it was actually really well written, i liked how many quotes and actual events they got in but managed to twist, willie for example, the use of silver at gettysburg etc plus some of the action was good and most of the characters were played well

pure popcorn flick but a better one

This weekend I watched Boyz n the Hood. Over 20 years old and a little cheesy at times but still packs a punch. Ice Cube is superb.

Also watched Punch-Drunk Love. Paul Thomas Anderson directs a brilliant Adam Sandler :shock: as a neurotic loser. A fine film that is difficult to watch at times particularly the first half, "I don't like myself sometimes".

I'll recommend a Norwegian film, for those of you that can live with subtitles.

King of Devil's Island is a superb film based on a true story (the rebellion, which is one of the two times Norway has sent its army to shoot at its own people) about the youth correction center Bastøy. Bastøy is a dark chapter in Norwegian history, where kids down at the age of 11 where sent after stealing change from the church collection.

The director has spent ten years with the idea of making the movie after reading some public files about the rebellion in 1915, and as usual with Norwegian movies, it shows a dark and harsh reality.

One of my favourite movies from Norway (they are few....).

And the Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgaard is just incredible in this movie, as is Kristoffer Jones and the young Helstad.

Lonely place to die.

I liked this film....i think....

whilst it had a creepy atmosphere throughout and the kills came brutally and out of the blue sometimes, it still lacked something for me....

some of the characters were very cheesy though and it was a little cliche ridden...oh and should have ended about 15 minutes earlier...

but it definately is worth a watch if you are a fan of the "alone in the woods" stalker genre...

6.5/10 for me....

if you liked it Liono then you have to check out "King of the Hill", a spanish film with the same kind of concept but massively superior!!

watched The Innkeepers last night...

i love a good ghost story (Orphanage, Devils Backbone, The Others etc)

i'm not in to all the gore horror films...

but a good ghost story never fails to scare the shit out of me...

really enjoyed it and will be checking out Ti Wests other film House of the Devil based on other recommendations

I watched Four Lions again today. :D It really does not get less funny.

Punch yourself in the face!!!

You don't win an argument by being right!

I watched Four Lions again today. :D It really does not get less funny.
It couldn't, really. I gave up on it after half an hour or so. Didn't rate it at all.

Caught Four Lions on TV a couple of weeks back.

Thought the premise sounded crap thus avoided it for ages, but I really enjoyed it, even found it hilarious in parts.

"He'll be in heaven before his head hits the ceiling." ...brilliant!

I just got out of 'The Amazing Spider-Man'. I really enjoyed it personally and thought it was a great summer blockbuster. They seemed to nail the comic book feel and I was glued throughout.

The story is obviously very familiar, apart from a few alterations. The action sequences look very good at times and the story goes along at a nice pace. I'm nor a big fan of the Lizard, although he did come across alright. The face just bugs me, although I can understand why they did it that way. Garfield suited the role and was a believable Peter Parker in my opinion. Plus the beautiful Gwen...

Anyway, despite it being a good bit of summer entertainment, I still don't think a reboot was necessary at this point. It does hold its own against the last Spider-Man films and even betters them in some ways. Yet it just feels a bit too soon.

I would say to go and watch it anyway as it's a good piece of fun. I think I'll be going again as I really did like it.

By the way, stay until after the first credits. I have an idea who it may be...

I watched it last night too and it was excellent. Then again, I'm a pretty big spidey fan and after the last movie, seeing anything decent was going to be an improvement. I just think it was a bit more gritty and realistic as daft as that sounds. I also think Andrew Garfield is a superb actor (and British) and he's a much better fit for a young Peter Parker than Tobey Macguire was.

The films before it never quite did it for me. I enjoyed them but there was always something a bit off, and that last one was so bad it was laughable. This one is really good, has a great cast, solid storyline and good chemistry, especially between Garfield and Stone.

I know a reboot seems a bit quick and forced with concerns to the movie rights, but Marc Webb really got it spot on for me. Looking forward to the next one already.

Currently watching Dog Day Afternoon. Pacino at his absolute best.
"Attica! Attica! Attica!"

Lance Henriksen's first major film role, that. Apparently after getting the part of the second G-man he went out to celebrate, got shit-faced and woke up the next morning a few hours late for work. When he arrived on set, all Lumet said to him was something along the lines of "Feels shit, don't it?", and Henriksen was never late for another job in his life.

A female friend went to see the new Spidey and has effectively raved about it since - better than the Avengers in her eyes.

I'm still cynical but her rating it has made me curious.

I thought it was really good Chindie, I know you're quite into your comic books though so perhaps you'll be a bit more skeptical than I am. After reading your glowing review on The Avengers I don't think you'll prefer The Amazing Spider-man though.

Still, I really enjoyed it. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have great chemistry like I said and it's a more gritty retelling without the cheese and occasional cringe-worthy scenes that Sam Raimi's films had, with perhaps the exception being Stan Lee's cameo.

Everybody in the cinema I was in seemed to enjoy it and there were a fair few laugh out loud moments, though it might have been a little light on the big action scenes. It has some decent fights which include elements of acrobatics and parkour, some decent set pieces, the bit on the suspension bridge being one of the best.

It was just a good mix overall. I'd recommend going to see it, much better than anything Raimi did in my opinion. Plus Emma Stone is made even hotter due to her wearing knee-high socks for portions of the film.

The nerd inside me had to laugh at one point as the trailers were playing though, as there was a bunch of guys behind me talking about how stupid it was that in this version of the film Spider-man doesn't shoot web and instead uses webshooters and cartridges. They got the last laugh though, as the dick directly sat behind me kept kicking my seat.

Â