The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

15 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Looks interesting … let me know what you think of it 

55 minute documentary about the Berlin Wall from the point of view from the rabbits that were trapped in the kill zone. The rabbits couldn’t escape either side so they were sort of in a perfect habitat with no predators and plenty of grass to eat so also provided a kind of allegory for life of a citizen of an Eastern Bloc citizen

We were also treated to a recorded introduction and then a surprise question and answer session with the Polish director of the film and that was really fascinating.

A really unique documentary

Will Smith confirmed that he's going to be in I am Legend 2 as they go with the version of the 1st film where he lives... 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a film that butchers the source material so badly, it completely misses the point (and the book ending is incredible) 

It's worse than WWZ

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xela said:

chewits-godzilla.gif

Does anyone remember the Godzilla cartoon in the early 80's? I think it used to be on Saturday mornings. It had Godzilla and Godzuki that could be called up by some fella on a boat and his fancy watch (my memory is hazy).

• Like 1

image-w1280.jpg?1445908062

A Design for Living (Ernst Lubitsch) - Great film, well written, performed, and staged, enjoyed it

TEDDY-BEAR_DETAIL-1-1.jpg

Ydessa, the Bears and etc (Agnès Varda) - Nicely put together documentary, I liked it.

By all accounts Godzilla Minus One is genuinely good, and also made obscenely cheaply - $15m seems to be the given figure.

Meanwhile the Hollywood version revealed it's big trailer today.

Sigh.

• Haha 2

On 27/11/2023 at 23:41, Designer1 said:

Went to see this tonight:

spacer.png

Definitely going to be in my films of the year list.

Very good psychological drama with yet another cracking performance from the mercurial Barry Keoghan.

Two in a row from Writer/Director Emerald Fennel after the excellent Promising Young Woman.

Saw this Friday with her indoors and two friends. I don’t think I’ve seen a film that divided opinion so much. I loved it, she liked it but felt it had too many gaps and the other two were didn’t like and hate. I initially presumed their negative opinions were just because it wasn’t their kind of film but they’re smart people who understand film and their objections were understandable, even if I didn’t share them. 
We had a spirited debate about it but it was a really good reminder that art isn’t always about good or bad, it’s about perception, personal experience, individual taste and a whole bunch of other factors. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chindie said:

By all accounts Godzilla Minus One is genuinely good, and also made obscenely cheaply - $15m seems to be the given figure.

Meanwhile the Hollywood version revealed it's big trailer today.

Sigh.

$15m feels absolutely wild. That's like a fraction of a marketing budget.

The last few Kongs have felt like fever dreams. I got so bored watching them I wasn't really concentrating. Running round with some stupid axe in the last one. Bunkum.

Edited by Tomaszk

22 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Does anyone remember the Godzilla cartoon in the early 80's? I think it used to be on Saturday mornings. It had Godzilla and Godzuki that could be called up by some fella on a boat and his fancy watch (my memory is hazy).

Yes, Godzuki was the equivalent of Scrappy Doo to Scooby Doo, The music went GODZILLA loud and godzuki all soft and fluffy

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

$15m feels absolutely wild. That's like a fraction of a marketing budget.

The last few Kongs have felt like fever dreams. I got so bored watching them I wasn't really concentrating. Running round with some stupid axe in the last one. Bunkum.

Too much CGI ruins films. I can't watch them anymore. I think it was one of the Transformers movies that did it for me. Like having a scrap metal factory explode in your face. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â