The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

What warms my heart is that people who have clearly better taste in films than me also rate the second film badly. I think its awful, but like all the others, I just thought it was me though due to me thinking Charlies Angels Full Throttle is cinema at it's peak.

25 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Getting into the Mission Impossible jizz, here's my list (it's the film series I've inexplicably seen every instalment in cinema... But haven't seen the new one yet.)

Fallout

MI3

MI1

Ghost Protocol

Rogue Nation

MI2

The word on the street says the new one is rather good.

I was disappointed with the Dead Reckoning. Especially as Fallout was the best since the first movie. 

MV5BMmU3ZThhZDUtN2RkMC00MmFhLTlmYjAtNmIx

Freeway II: Confessions of a Trickbaby (Matthew Bright)
'After escaping from jail, a teenage prostitute and a 16-year-old serial killer both go on a destructive road trip to Mexico. Though initially the complete antithesis of one another, their risky behaviors bring them closer together than they ever could have imagined.'
Great, I thought it was better than the first one.

5 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Cillian Murphy is an incredible actor. Hope to see it also.

Thought he'd get a nod of the basis of this film getting a push come award season, will be interesting to see where his career goes from here

He's making a small scale Irish film next, he could do a lot of things to be fair to him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Thought he'd get a nod of the basis of this film getting a push come award season, will be interesting to see where his career goes from here

He's making a small scale Irish film next, he could do a lot of things to be fair to him

..And just think when we all watched 28 Days Later about 22 years ago in the cinema for the 1st time, with a relative unknown in the lead, it's good to see such a talented actor from their breakout all the way through to where they are now.

4 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

..And just think when we all watched 28 Days Later about 22 years ago in the cinema for the 1st time, with a relative unknown in the lead, it's good to see such a talented actor from their breakout all the way through to where they are now.

Read an interview somewhere with him and nolan talking about nolan spotting him in 28 days later and liking his eyes, getting him to audition for batman and then getting him to do oppenheimer again based on his eyes and a photo he'd seen

Came up on my insta so can't remember where it was, it's a decent short read

7 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Speaking of which. He's supposedly billed for the 28 Months Later movie that's in the works but I guess that might not happen if he wins an Oscar and gets other offers.

• Like 1

Went to see Mission Impossible today. Another hit for the MI franchise. That's 4 excellent films in 12 years 

• Like 2

Refreshing to see so many great new movies being released, nice to see Hollywood coming up with new IPs again instead of churning out derivative superhero/Star Wars stuff.

Another thumbs up for the latest Spiderverse. A touch too long but still very good. 
Barbie tomorrow. Not looking forward to that one but the reciprocal deal is we do Oppenheimer in the week. 
I’d not been to the cinema in six months and now four times in ten days! I’m going to get a popcorn overdose. 

End Game last night to finish off my MCU run. 

Infinity War was the peak. End Game was just, I dunno, a bit meh. It was still very fun and the end was epic, but the first half of the film is pretty weak, especially with how they just come up with a solution in 5 minutes. 

I also think there were TOO many characters in it. It took away from it in the end. 

Infinity War, on the other hand, was just an excellent action movie. Thanos is definitely one of the best movie villains ever. 

Now I need a break!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I don’t think anyone here is going to believe me but the Barbie movie is excellent. 

I'll be going to see it later this week (Got Oppenheimer tomorrow).

The reviews have been excellent and I think Greta Gerwig is a really good writer/Director. I expect there will be a large undercurrent of subversion and satire amongst all the pink glitter.

• Like 1

Somewhat related to the Barbie film. 

I find it mildly amusing that Mattel made such a big deal out of the Aqua song, citing the “sexual” and “unsavoury” lyrics as being damaging to the brand, taking it to court, etc…they’re more than happy for a sample to be used in a Nicki Minaj song on the soundtrack which has lyrics far more extreme than Aqua ever put out.

It’s almost like it wasn’t really anything to do with the lyrical content of the song.

I see Oppenheimer is being shown in some IMAX cinemas. Seems an odd choice, if - as I assume - apart from the final explosions and a few New Mexico desertscapes, the 'action' is mainly a bunch of politicians and scientists talking. 

Â