The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Thor Ragnarok last night in my MCU run through. 

Another of the good ones, very funny and visually spectacular. A welcome return to form after Dr Strange which was really poor. 

3 more films to go and then I’ll probably call it a day 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Another of the good ones, very funny and visually spectacular. A welcome return to form after Dr Strange which was really poor. 

Prob my fave of them all.

On 10/07/2023 at 18:56, Xela said:

Ridley Scot. Joaquin Phoenix. 

Should be epic.

I seem to recall Kubrick was touted for a Napoleon biopic an age ago. 

Ridley Scott can do a historical epic like few can these days and obviously this looks incredible, like all his films, but trying to do a biopic of Napoleon is a fools errand. He's one of the rare figures in history whose life is so outrageously ridiculous in scope that putting it in a single film is bound to be unsatisfying - unless the film is about 4 hours long minimum. And if they choose to only focus on part of his life that does it a disservice as well, as he's an obscenely interesting figure right up to the point he died.

• Like 3

Got to watch last night. I'd never actually caught it in the early 90s when it dropped (I was familiar with the book), but what a sweeping and deeping moving and crazily ambitious (if, in spots, problematic in its treatment of so-called and incorrectly named “patient 0” Gaetan Dugas, and if anything too restrained in showing anti-gay discrimination) chronicle of an era. 

Phil Collins (!) as a bathhouse owner is kind of mind-blowing and so effective. Loved Lily Tomlin as blunt, charming Dr. Selma Dritz (who wouldn't?) and the portrayal of tragic early activist Bobbi Campbell is heartbreaking. Ian McKellen didn't seem cast quite well for rugged Congressional aide Bill Kraus, who was much more handsome in real life. Not sure what I felt about BD Wong's role, too. Felt vaguely insulting. Richard Gere plays a choreographer in a poignant if slight role. Overall, a terrific film I wish I'd seen a long time ago. And ... that closing montage will leave you in tears.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Off to watch Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One in a little bit.

Im expecting to see at least three scenes in which Tom Cruise has to run fast! (Think it must be in his contract for every film 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

queen-kelly-swanson.png

Queen Kelly (Erich von Stroheim)
Famous for being the film that Norma Desmond watches in Sunset Boulevard when she's watching old scenes of herself from her silent era, "Cast out this wicked dream that has seized my heart," also used in Inland Empire, it's pretty good in it's own right, quite grand looking, story goes along nicely, and can see why Gloria Swanson would have been a big star in those days as has a very cinematic face.

Etsuko+Ichihara+in+Man+Without+a+Map+dir

The Man Without a Map (Hiroshi Teshigahara)
A detective is hired to find a missing person, but doesn't have much luck as no one seems to be that bothered, despite not much happening, stays interesting thanks to some good performances, writing, and the way it's shot and edited is done in an inventive way too, based on story by Kōbō Abe who also collaborated with Teshigahara for Woman In the Dunes.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Off to watch Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One in a little bit.

Im expecting to see at least three scenes in which Tom Cruise has to run fast! (Think it must be in his contract for every film 😂)

Well, that didn’t disappoint at all! 

Full throttle all the way! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

petulia-tuba.png?fit=2880,1621&ssl=1

Petulia (Richard Lester) - Pretty good movie, I liked it, Julie Christie and George C Scott both great, nice cinematograpy, and inventive editing

Edited by useless
Saw later that Nicolas Roeg worked as cinematographer on this film, which made sense

20 minutes ago, choffer said:

Asteroid City tomorrow. From what I can see it’s had very little publicity so am intrigued to see if it’s top tier or middling Anderson. 

Didn't like it at all and I'm a huge WA fan.

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Didn't like it at all and I'm a huge WA fan.

That’s my fear. I’ve loved most of his output but didn’t like The French Dispatch. Turned it off after an hour.
At least the Everyman sofas are comfy so I can have a nap if the film sucks. 

On 30/06/2023 at 13:19, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

I'm a massive fan of Wes Anderson so it pains me to say that I didn't like this at all.

The trademark beautiful symmetrical style and dead pan delivery are present, but unfortunately he's completely missed the mark with the characters and story.

There isn't an ounce of charm or soul in any of the interactions (massive contrast to say something like the relationship between the three brothers in Darjeeling Ltd or Steve and his son in the Life Aquatic), its all painfully obscure monologues and soulless dialogue.

So **** disappointed. 

Hopefully you'll enjoy it, different strokes and all that.

• Thanks 1

Ant Man and the Wasp for me tonight. 

Absolute shite. One of the worst MCU films I’ve seen. And it’s a low bar.

The only positive is that getting through it means I’m finally at IW and End Game

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 08:42, Stevo985 said:

Thats my favourite thor film. It was hilarious 

The one after is absolutely absymal i wouldnt bother with that one personally

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats my favourite thor film. It was hilarious 

The one after is absolutely absymal i wouldnt bother with that one personally

I doubt I’ll be bothering with any once I’ve seen End Game

Â