The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Orphanposter.jpg

Todays watch, another one to just have on while I'm noodling about on the guitar, been a few years since I've seen it, I remember really enjoying it the first time round, I read recently that they are doing a sequel to it as well

Yeah, Orphan First Kill. Out this year.

• Thanks 2

I watched the first Rurouni Kenshin film. No as good, imo, as the film where you're told of the beginning of the legend that is Kenshin, but still a good couple of enjoyable hours.

When it comes to filming sword fighting the Japanese are most certainly the bees - knees. 

On 05/08/2022 at 22:22, villa4europe said:

Prey is brilliant 

Maybe if I was looking for a criticism I'd say he's overpowered but that's minor, it got more cool moments than any Predator film for me, the native Indian stuff really worked and if anything it felt almost like they tried to examine their lore and culture rather than the predators which is all it needs, great action sequences, some ropey cgi here and there

Definitley the 2nd best Predator film ever made 

Hundred percent agree, really enjoyed it. It kind of opens a portal up now for future films, how about one set in feudal Japan? Etc 

20 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Hundred percent agree, really enjoyed it. It kind of opens a portal up now for future films, how about one set in feudal Japan? Etc 

That's the rumour and I would love that

The more I thought about it over the weekend the more I'm sure the film does have some depth 

Spoiler

I think they do a good job of saying the Predator is crazy powerful and skilled but at the same time also like a juvenile on trial, the wolf injured him, the bear injured him, so do the trappers then the brother

And then ultimately she wins because she learns about him but he doesn't learn about her 

Maybe also something about the trappers from the modern world almost being cartoonish bafoons but at the same time it is modern technology that sees her through, that might be a stretch though

Its put me in the mood for last of the mohicans that's for sure, love that film

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the rumour and I would love that

The more I thought about it over the weekend the more I'm sure the film does have some depth 

Hide contents

I think they do a good job of saying the Predator is crazy powerful and skilled but at the same time also like a juvenile on trial, the wolf injured him, the bear injured him, so do the trappers then the brother

And then ultimately she wins because she learns about him but he doesn't learn about her 

Maybe also something about the trappers from the modern world almost being cartoonish bafoons but at the same time it is modern technology that sees her through, that might be a stretch though

Its put me in the mood for last of the mohicans that's for sure, love that film

Spoiler

My missus had a far simpler explanation, The film proved women are better than men

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Fans of the film Heat will be interested to know that Heat 2 comes out tomorrow...in book form. 

Had no idea, cheers 👍

Absolutely loved Heat the movie, so will pick up a copy in the next few days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watching the masterpiece that is Heat, again. I still find myself imploring Neil to please leave it alone. I guess some itches just demand to be scratched. 

I loved it when I watched it back in 2007 and rewatched it this Christmas. I actually thought this time that it had aged so badly and came across as stupid. Al Pacino is the worst cop—the amount of destruction he's directly responsible for is crazy. And then he's portrayed as some kind of god cop who can do no wrong in the dialogue—but it's so unsubtle. His scenes with his wife I remember as being pretty embarrasing. The script tries so hard to make him out to be the hero, but it seemed so forced. I have loved Michael Mann as a director and still really rate Manhunter, and I know Mann's style isn't ever subtle, but I think I'll leave Heat to the past unfortunately.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I loved it when I watched it back in 2007 and rewatched it this Christmas. I actually thought this time that it had aged so badly and came across as stupid. Al Pacino is the worst cop—the amount of destruction he's directly responsible for is crazy. And then he's portrayed as some kind of god cop who can do no wrong in the dialogue—but it's so unsubtle. His scenes with his wife I remember as being pretty embarrasing. The script tries so hard to make him out to be the hero, but it seemed so forced. I have loved Michael Mann as a director and still really rate Manhunter, and I know Mann's style isn't ever subtle, but I think I'll leave Heat to the past unfortunately.

I know what you mean. But after all, it is 30 years old! At the time it was cutting edge stuff. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rolta said:

Maybe the trick is not to watch it a third time. 

It's other moments in the film that I like, such as the ex con trying to go straight as a grill chef and having to endure endless abuse at the hands of his boss, but being told by his girlfriend that she is so proud of him, and he can't work out why. I also thought Jon Voight was wonderful as the quiet talking, no nonsense  middle - man. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Saw the movie "Lightyear" today.Its all a bit dark and the story does not make sence,heaps of action though for those that prefer that kind of movie

Watched this on Sunday. Wasn't blown away by it but was decent enough. The cat is the best thing about it imo!

I managed half of it before the daughter got bored and turned it off

The trailer was misleading 

Spoiler

He knew that he was jumping forward in time, it was a good scene but the trailer made it seem like he jumped 70 odd years in one go

Â