The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Finally saw Rogue One last night.

Honestly, I was disappointed.

It's a decent film and I did very much enjoy it, but it's one of those that as soon as I left the cinema it was behind me. I didn't really take anything away from it. 

I think I preferred the Force Awakens

Pretty much how I felt about it. Even though I enjoyed it, I left a little disappointed because everyone was saying how fantastic it was.

I don't think it even touches the Force Awakens.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

im the same but i think i might break on la la land, i still havent seen the artist

The Artist is excellent.

But it's not a musical...

As for La La Land, i share your view. I don't do musicals (Disney films rule but cartoons are different). I tried to watch Les Mis but didn't make it.

I may have to see La La Land though purely because of the rave reviews

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Pretty much how I felt about it. Even though I enjoyed it, I left a little disappointed because everyone was saying how fantastic it was.

I don't think it even touches the Force Awakens.

Yeah pretty much the same.

It basically felt like exactly what it is. Not quite a Star Wars film, just a nice little side story.

It looked and sounded amazing, and there were some very cool parts. But I think the storyline ultimately lacked quality and you're always behind if you don't have that

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Artist is excellent.

As for La La Land, i share your view. I don't do musicals (Disney films rule but cartoons are different). I tried to watch Les Mis but didn't make it.

I may have to see La La Land though purely because of the rave reviews

It's a silent move isn't it? What I meant was despite the rave reviews and sweeping the awards it's something at doesn't interest me in he slightest

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's a silent move isn't it? What I meant was despite the rave reviews and sweeping the awards it's something at doesn't interest me in he slightest

Ah gotcha.

Yeah it's a silent movie.

And seriously, it's very very good.

• Like 1

Picard is poo.

This summer's Emoji movie stars Patrick Stewart as the voice of Poo

2017-01-19-image-4.jpg

The recent Assassin’s Creed motion picture didn’t break the decades-old tradition of movies based on video games getting mauled by critics. Like Warcraft, not every cinema-goer disliked the Michael Fassbender title, but reviewers rated it from below average to God-awful (it’s currently got a Rotten Tomatoes score of 17 percent).

But this doesn’t mean Hollywood is abandoning the much-maligned genre - there’s a Minecraft movie in the works, along with a Tetris trilogy with a rumored $80 million budget. Producers are even looking beyond gaming to other forms of electronic “entertainment” for ideas, such as texting. Yes, this year we may have truly reached the bottom of the ideas barrel with the release of The Emoji movie.

The animated full-length feature stars some fairly big name actors voicing the characters, including the excellent T.J. Miller from Silicon Valley and Deadpool in the lead role. Rob Riggle, Maya Rudolph, and James Cordon also lend their vocal talents, and Jean-Luc Picard himself, Patrick Stewart, is adding some gravitas to proceedings as the voice of the much-loved poo emoji.

The movie’s plot, in case you were wondering, see’s the multi-expressional Gene set out on an adventure in a teenagers phone as he quests to become a normal emoji. The first teaser trailer was released last month; shockingly, it doesn’t seem to have gone down too well with YouTube viewers, and currently has just over 6000 likes and 71,000 dislikes.

Should the movie be a commercial success, which, let’s face it, could be the case, where will inspiration come from next? Perhaps we’ll see the tale of a plucky Android app that struggles to keep his friends after microtransactions are added to his code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yZERI42eRU

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The Artist is excellent.

That's a bit like saying "I didn't like Transformers, so I'm not going to bother watching any more action films".

It's about as unrepresentative of the genre as you can get.

If you liked The Artist give Singin' In The Rain a try.

nah to be fair im the same, ive watched maybe 3/4 musicals and didnt like them, i struggle with old "classic" films anyway so singing in the rain, westside story etc are never going to be my thing, les miserables was one of them every word sang musicals which i dont know the word for and i think is the only one of those ive seen and im in no rush to watch another

because i have next to no interest in musicals you'll do well to convince me theres a better one than south park the movie

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

That's a bit like saying "I didn't like Transformers, so I'm not going to bother watching any more action films".

It's about as unrepresentative of the genre as you can get.

If you liked The Artist give Singin' In The Rain a try.

You've misunderstood.

I haven't judged musicals based on one film. I was just using Les Mis as an example of where I tried to watch a musical and it didn't do it for me.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You've misunderstood.

I haven't judged musicals based on one film. I was just using Les Mis as an example of where I tried to watch a musical and it didn't do it for me

I don't see that I have misunderstood. Les Miserables is a rubbish film, so that "not doing it for you" isn't really great evidence. It didn't really do it for many people.

It's no different to me offering Deuce Bigalow as a reason why comedy films aren't for me. If I watched a better film than that, I might reassess my position.

If you watch a better film than Les Miserables you might find yourself reassessing as well. You might not, but at least then you'd have something solid to base it on ;)

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Maybe it's just that I'm a marketing genius, operating on a level of commercial understanding that mere mortals could never hope to attain, but it immediately struck me that if I were creating a 'teaser trailer' for an emoji movie, the 'meh' emoji wouldn't have been the one I based the marketing campaign on. 

• Like 1

New Logan trailer is good. Not as good as the first one, but good.

I wouldn't recommend watching the trailer though. What's in it isn't going to surprise anyone who's read an X-Men comic in the last decade, but for anyone else it gives away something about the movie that you'd probably enjoy more having it come as a surprise.

Looking forward to it.

It lacks the impact of the first trailer mainly due to the excellent use of hurt and also the surprise that they seemingly went a bit out there, think the worrying bit about it is the marvel villain problem won't be fixed by this film, there's a lot of fodder in the trailer, but it's definitely got me maybe even sneaking up to 2nd on my films I want to see list (it won't throw SW off 1st)

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It lacks the impact of the first trailer mainly due to the excellent use of hurt and also the surprise that they seemingly went a bit out there, think the worrying bit about it is the marvel villain problem won't be fixed by this film, there's a lot of fodder in the trailer, but it's definitely got me maybe even sneaking up to 2nd on my films I want to see list (it won't throw SW off 1st)

I'm not sure about the villain thing. They might be ok. The director confirmed recently some of the guess work is false, and the other villain doesn't really need much fleshing out. Holbrook's character looks like he'll get decent screen time and that should do them ok.

21 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I don't see that I have misunderstood. Les Miserables is a rubbish film, so that "not doing it for you" isn't really great evidence. It didn't really do it for many people.

It's no different to me offering Deuce Bigalow as a reason why comedy films aren't for me. If I watched a better film than that, I might reassess my position.

If you watch a better film than Les Miserables you might find yourself reassessing as well. You might not, but at least then you'd have something solid to base it on ;)

I didn't mean it as evidence. It was just an example of one I tried to watch recently.

If you'd like me to post a list of all the musicals I've ever watched then I can ;)

Kids In Love. That's an hour of my life I ain't getting back. A bunch of clearing in the woods rich kids, doing clearing in the woods things in that London. I wanted Isis to show up and behead them all. Plus no way Will Poulter gets anywhere near Alma Jodorowsky's knickers in the real world. 

Edited by dAVe80

Â