The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I thought the twist was a bit. Also good that it ultimately showed Cap as not the boring Superman-like goody-goody who never makes a mistake or sits on the wrong side of the fence.

Agree to an extent but then Cap and Iron Man seem ok with each other by the end of it. The only issue I had with Zemo was that everything fell in to place for him too easily.

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

It is revealed in to Cap in the second movie. He's briefly shown a headline and photograph in that montage. The photograph causes a slight issue with the timeline but frankly the moment you start to consider timelines in the Marvel series it quickly falls apart.

no matter about the Aliens , laws of physics and indestructible suits of armour  etc etc :P

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

no matter about the Aliens , laws of physics and indestructible suits of armour  etc etc :P

I think those things you go with and accept as part of the universe, even if it it's completely unrealistic. They even make jokes about how the shield doesn't obey any law of physics by now.

But the timelines don't quite fit and you can't get round it. You can't really handwave how character ages and eras work, so they bank on you not noticing.

Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson and Karl Urban have joined Thor 3 as Hela, the Grandmaster, Valkyrie and Skurge respectively, joining Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner.

Thor: Ragnarok is going to get bloody weird on the basis on those. But makes sense in the scale of things with this film apparently doing a bunch of legwork for Infinity War.

It's being directed by Taika Waititi of Flight of the Concords and What We Do in the Shadows to add to the oddness.

Edited by Chindie

after the scathing reviews Xmen was a hell of a lot better than I expected though villain was a bit OTT and as much as I like Oscar Isaac I feel he was wasted. Fassbender really makes Magneto a gripping character and more human than he probably should be. though a major gripe for me

Spoiler

Wolverine cameo would have been brilliant if it wasnt revealed in the trailer :rant:

Does it explain how the film is now set 20 years apart from the first xmen yet magneto looks mid thirties ish in apocalypse and 70+ in Xmen? Or have I missed something obvious?

7/10

I do like films like this - crime capers with twists and turns. First time I've seen it since it was released. Still think its pretty decent 

Ronin_movie_1998.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

Does it explain how the film is now set 20 years apart from the first xmen yet magneto looks mid thirties ish in apocalypse and 70+ in Xmen? Or have I missed something obvious?

I'm guessing he was born around 1930 as he's a young teen in Auschwitz. First Class was in the 60s and he looked about 30ish. This is set early 80? So he should look about 50. He's just a fairly youngish looking 50 (my dad looks about 40 and is 50 so not impossible). Then first X-Men he should look 70, which he does. I don't think it's entirely off.

Though Marvel timeliness have to be accepted for what they are rather than looking in to them too much. A lot of characters were created in the 60s and have origins from around them, yet many have still barely aged 50 years later.

Jayne Eyre  (2011)

I think this is the third version i have seen of Jayne Eyre and i have to say i think it is probably the best one i have see The two main stars in the film Micheal Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska  were as Paul Lambert would say excellent . 7/10 for me 

X-Men Apocalypse isn't terrible but isn't particularly brilliant either. It's a second draft of a movie. The balance is all over the shop, the film feels like a 2 hour opening act with a half-baked final conflict tacked on that hadn't really been fully fleshed out. It introduces new characters and then has them do basically nothing - Psylocke only seems to be in the movie to fill the numbers up for instance. And then they did her wrong anyway. Oscar Isaac does what he can with Apocalypse which is ultimately not a great deal, Quicksilver steals the movie, Fassbender continues to be a good Magneto, everyone else either has 3 lines of dialogue or phones it in terribly, except for Sophie Turner who is dreadful as Jean Grey.

Despite that it's not bad it just isn't much cop either. There's not that much action, not much really happens, what does happen is fine... but nothing more.

• Like 1

Bill.jpg

I haven't laughed so much at a movie for a long time. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Made by the Horrible Histories team so you know the quality is going to be high, there's quite a bit of Monty Python influence in there too which is never a bad thing imo.

Â