The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

About Time is whats called an 'acceptable chick flick' meaning you get bonus points from the good lady, when really the film is okay and quite amusing at times.

Exactly. Trying to think of other examples off the top of my head. Maybe:

Mean Girls

Pitch Perfect

10 things I hate about you

Friends with Benefits

500 Days of Summer

Knocked Up

???

About Time is whats called an 'acceptable chick flick' meaning you get bonus points from the good lady, when really the film is okay and quite amusing at times.

Yes I thought it was ok. I do like Rachel Mcadams. I thought she was great in the lucky ones 

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is another "Acceptable chick flick" - in fact, I think it's bloomin' hilarious at times...

But it has R*ss*ll Br*nd in it. I could not be responsible for the likely violence and damage that would ensue were I to be exposed to it.

Ex machina.

2 firsts for me, Oskar Isaac and Alicia Vikander, both were good in this and Alicia is a proper hotty!

Very good debut from the director and I can't wait to see more from him. Still thinking about the film now a couple of hours later and that's the sign of a very good film to me.

8/10

• Like 1

Ex Machina is a fantastic little modern fable. Think I said this when it came it initially, it also appears to have been filmed in a small section of Paradise.

Love the look of it all too. The design, the way it's shot and framed... Simple but elegant and beautiful.

Alex Garland is very talented. He was behind Dredd a couple of years back and that sowed the seeds for me being very excited by anything he's involved in.

• Like 1

Love the look of it all too. The design, the way it's shot and framed... Simple but elegant and beautiful.

Yeah it definitely worked for me, I think the simpler a film the more I enjoy it recently. Have a clear story or idea that needs to be portrayed, execute it simply but with some style and try to do it with as few characters as possible. Leave exposition out of it which is generally the only reason for too many characters in one film, a good story should speak for itself.

Ex machina definitely ticks most of those boxes.

Kingsman ....3/10 .....load of shite to be honest ...like mark strongs accent in it 

I thought it was utter wank too. Some of the fight scenes were good mainly because I was a bit shocked to see Colin Firth stabbing people in the head, usually though i'm not a fight scene kinda guy. But meh, seen it all before. 

I have never seen any of the following 'chick flicks' that have been mentioned on this page

About Time

Mean Girls

Pitch Perfect

10 things I hate about you

Friends with Benefits

500 Days of Summer

Knocked Up

Bring It On

Sleepless in Seattle

Celine and Julie Go Boating

The wedding ringer

crazy, stupid love