The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

As i'm on a bit of a film binge at the moment i have a choice between three films later.

Inherent Vice / Killer Joe / Robot and Frank

Any suggestions?

That's three superb movies right there.

What can i say, I clearly have good taste in Movies :)

I cant remember who it was but big thanks to whoever recommended 'What we do in the Shadows'. It is glorious. Written and starring one of the guys from Flight of the Conchords, its a mockumentary about flat sharing Vampires in New Zealand and uses the same sort of humour as Flight of the conchords (minus the singing).

if you can source it anywhere I highly recommend it. i was in bits watching it. but nobody I know has even heard of it let alone seen it  :(

• Like 2

What does everyone think of "The Aviator"?

Watched the first hour last night but thought it was pretty dull. Couldn't really see where it was going and don't have much motivation to watch the next 2 hours

Been a while since I have seen it but I really liked it. I do find Howard Hughes fascinating though and I do confess to be a bit of a plane geek! 

As i'm on a bit of a film binge at the moment i have a choice between three films later.

Inherent Vice / Killer Joe / Robot and Frank

Any suggestions?

Killer Joe... wish I could go back and save myself those two hours.  Utter **** in my opinion.  I just can't fathom out how some people enjoyed it.

Thanks for that MakemineVanilla, i have not seen that film but it sounds a good film so will add it to my "to watch list" 

It is very good and ticks all the boxes which make Westerns forgiveable - slightly camp, great landscape, OTT gun skills etc.

It is also chock full of old stars to spot and match - John Alexander (Arsenic and Old Lace), Charles Drake (Harvey), Tony Curtis and then, most amusing of all, Rock Hudson as an injun.

Shelley Winters is wonderfully charming as the stock good-time gal and Jimmy Stewart plays the gen'leman with depth; Dan Duryea as a brilliant villain.

I took the screenshot as acknowledgement of the superb cinematography.

So worth a look.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

What is the fuss about 50 grades of grey, If the guy wasn't rich not many girls would care..

Girls in a nutshell, they could get an orgasm from money alone..

i havent read them or got intention of doing so, my only knowledge of them is that they are twilight fan faction, and my only real knowledge of twilight comes from stephen king tearing them to shreads, by his account what they do is they perfectly describe the bloke over and over in to a ridiculous amount of detail, but at the same time they leave the female character really underdeveloped and describe her appearance very poorly but do give plenty of description to her flaws and insecurities, giving her a great "that could be me" quality, and women everywhere fall for it

it was strange that in the same interview he talks about harry potter, he like rowling and gives her lots of praise for her writing ability but absolutely slates meyers (twilights writer) 50 shades of grey is meant to even worse from a literary point of view

but with the book sales being so high (which was mainly from word of mouth and social media from what i saw, it was like a wild fire) the film was inevitable, and when the book is so badly written it was also inevitable that the film would be shit

Â