The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Is American Gangster any good?

Yeah, I'd recommend it, a lot of strong performances, great director and I know some have said the pacing drags a little but it kept my attention all the way through. 

This spoiler won't ruin the film but I'll put it behind a tag just in case it may tarnish you or anyone else's enjoyment or would think it was something not to just be blatantly given away.

Watch out for any time Frank Lucs pours a lot of sugar

• Like 1

Finally seen Nebraska.Incredible as expected. I don't think Alexander Payne is capable of making even an average movie.My favourite filmmaker along with the Coen's and Tom McCarthy.

My favourite movie this year by a mile. An absolute gem and Bruce Dern deserves all the plaudits he's getting.

Agree about Payne too, a great talent.

The scene in the cemetery absolutely floored me.

I've not laughed like that at one scene for about 2 years.

Yep good film good acting. Great performance by Dern and June Squibb.  I only really remember Bruce Dern from the lesser known Hitchcock film Family Plot.

amazing spiderman 2

its ok, not quite the mess i was expecting and i didnt think the criticisms id seen for it being purely to set up the next 3/4 films is a bit unfair, theres a couple of obvious bits near the end but not that much, also hopefully they've put the dad stuff to bed, the humour and witty comments work far better than maguire's spiderman, electro is decent (although anyone with a better knowledge of electricity will no doubt question several bits of the "science" it sounded a bit ropey to me) DeHaan is as good as you'd expect and probably where the criticism of setting everything up comes from because he's not suited up for long enough

huge spoiler - 

although it is telegraphed throughout the film thought the gwen stacey death was very good, the sound of her head hitting the floor 

:unsure:

saw the exclusive xmen scene too, gone back in to the "this is going to be shit" camp, was looking forward to it after the latest trailer but was seriously underwhelmed by it

A lot of people seemed to like Maguire is Peter Parker, but he wasn't witty/cocky enough to be true to character really, Garfield is far better. I do think this movie had a little too much of the silliness in it though. I don't think it was as good as the 1st, but I still liked it.  Definitely agree with your spoiler.

Also saw Noah despite mass criticism of it. I didn't think it was anything groundbreaking but enjoyed it enough for what it was. I had to laugh walking out as some old bloke said to his daughter "I don't think it reflected what really happened well at all" Well no of course it didn't even happen at all, it's based on a religious story!

Finally watched The Raid last night. I think because of it I have grown an extra testicle and muscles in places I haven't got places. My hands have become permanent fists of unfeeling anger and I suddenly feel the need to not shave and squint a lot. I may go and buy some jeans and tan coloured cat boots today as well. I've also started to become more interested in hunting, crossbows and skinning woodland creatures with my bare hands.

Also, whiskey, neat from the bottle suddenly means everything to me.

10/10.

• Like 3

A lot of people seemed to like Maguire is Peter Parker, but he wasn't witty/cocky enough to be true to character really, Garfield is far better. I do think this movie had a little too much of the silliness in it though. I don't think it was as good as the 1st, but I still liked it. Definitely agree with your spoiler.

Also saw Noah despite mass criticism of it. I didn't think it was anything groundbreaking but enjoyed it enough for what it was. I had to laugh walking out as some old bloke said to his daughter "I don't think it reflected what really happened well at all" Well no of course it didn't even happen at all, it's based on a religious story!

If it's nothing like the story it is based upon, why call it Noah at all? Money. Just as with World War Z.

Your man has a point.

A lot of people seemed to like Maguire is Peter Parker, but he wasn't witty/cocky enough to be true to character really, Garfield is far better. I do think this movie had a little too much of the silliness in it though. I don't think it was as good as the 1st, but I still liked it. Definitely agree with your spoiler.

If it's nothing like the story it is based upon, why call it Noah at all? Money. Just as with World War Z.

Your man has a point.

Well, it is based on the story. But there's certain things that quite clearly are hugely unrealistic and had no possibility of happening. Point being though, that the story of Noah is made up anyway and this guy seemed annoyed that it didn't reflect what actually happened in real life, well why go see a movie based on a religious story if you want to see stuff based on real life events?

The Kings Speech  (2010)  I watched this last night and i thought it was brilliant ,I really did .I watch a lot of films and this is the best film i have seen in ages 

• Like 1

Â