The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

MV5BMTc1MDIyOTkxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTU1

A reimagining of the classic horror tale about Carrie White, a shy girl outcast by her peers and sheltered by her deeply religious mother, who unleashes telekinetic terror on her small town after being pushed too far at her senior prom.

I actually thought Chloe Moretz and Juliette Moore played their parts quite well, the ending is more faithful to the book than the original film but the whole thing seemed pretty rushed for some reason.

Not bad but not brilliant.

I thought it was decent enough right up until the prom-scene. Then it lost all it's purpose. I haven't seen the older movie nor read the book, but I mean what was really the point in that storyline? All that time it had been building up a moral choice for Carrie between good and evil, and it seemed to lean towards good. Basically she's superman and can do whatever she wants and take the moral high ground, and there was a clear distinction between the good and bad people around. But what she ends up doing makes no sense to me.

:D :D  Never quit in the middle of a movie 8pints. Might miss out on a brilliant ending. I highly doubt this is the case of Salò though. Very disturbing and utterly boring movie.  20 mintues left. Coda you're a bastard.

• Like 1

12 Years a Slave is absolutely sublime.

Contains pretty much everything a good movie should (wonderful acting, great cinematography etc) and has a deep, emotional story that is in turns extremely brutal, touching and fascinating.

The sequence where he is hanging for nearly a day on tip toe whilst the other slaves continue with their everyday chores was incredible.

Preview or err *cough* screener?

Just the description of that Salo film put me of my dinners for like a century, no way I could watch it. It's released on Criterion as well who put out a lot of good movies. The guy who made it was murdered shortly after as well.

:D :D  Never quit in the middle of a movie 8pints. Might miss out on a brilliant ending. I highly doubt this is the case of Salò though. Very disturbing and utterly boring movie.  20 mintues left. Coda you're a bastard.

:unsure: I feel bad now. I only said it as a joke and never thought you'd actually watch it.

:unsure: I feel bad now. I only said it as a joke and never thought you'd actually watch it.

Haha no worries. A good movie in it's own way, glad I watched it. Wasn't as horrible as I expected after reading up on it. I expected two hours of horrible and grotesque scenes, but it wasn't. The first 1.5 hours of the film was rather boring and tedious to watch. 

Things picked itself up for the worse the last 15 minutes though. The last scene was all "wtf". The movie gets you thinking and put things in perspective. The meaning of it all and what Pasolini is trying to depict I'll leave up to the intellectuals to discuss.

As for a serbian movie, I'll never watch that. I'm a man of my words, but I wouldn't follow up on watching it even if I lost a bet, noo matter how artistic and brilliant it might be(saw a guy give it 10stars in his review on imdb). It's also a movie that's illegal here in Norway due to the nature of the film.

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 1

A Serbian Film is maybe a step too far for me as well. Of course you should never judge a book by its cover, but I'm not somebody who needs a films message so overtly rammed down my throat. I find the idea of it a little garish. I don't think I'd be horrified as such, more like with you and Salo I'd just be thinking "why". Why put me through this? I don't need it to have a good time.

I'm all for pushing boundaries by the way, believe me, and I think it's good that films like that can be made and distributed to a wide audience. Horses for course and all. But I also personally believe that all cinema has a duty to its audience, to treat them with a little more respect.

I agree, I'm all for freedom of expression and I'm not calling for these films to be banned or anything, but they're not for me. Usually I'm pretty open-minded and I will watch things I don't think I'll like just so I can give them a fair appraisal, but I won't ever watch films like A Serbian Film, The Human Centipede and Salo.

I already know there are some absolutely sick bastards out there in the world. I don't feel the need to watch movies depicting that kind of thing and I do kind of wonder why people want to watch them in the first place. I used to work in the games industry with a lot of very nerdy people and quite a few of those guys enjoyed these kind of films. It always struck me that they either watched them because they were a little disturbed themselves or because they wore the fact that they've seen them as a badge of honour. I'm not saying everyone watches them for these reasons, of course.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

I watched the human centipede. It was funnily rubbish. I think the south park version was more disturbing.

From what I hear you can't lump it in with a Serbian film. That's apparently a whole other level. Its still not real though so what's the issue? I couldn't ever watch anything real and cruel to anything or anyone. I was a victim of a shock gif on 4chan once and I still see it in my head regularly.

Â