The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just seen Alpha Papa. One of the funniest films I've ever seen. Brilliant.

I appreciate people see films differently but I'm genuinely interested to hear why you though this film was one of the funniest you have ever seen.

I'm a massive fan of Steve Coogan and can quote Alan Partridge episodes all day long I've watched them so much but this film was an abomination in my eyes. I actually did not laugh once and I can't believe I would ever say that about Partridge.

The dialogue was incredibly rushed and Coogan looked extremely uncomfortable playing Partridge. Its like he knew the script was shit and felt he had to rush through out in the hope the audience dont realise.Whereas before the character is done so well it's like an extension of himself, in this film he seemed to be trying too hard, exaggerating every facial expression and line of dialogue. It reminded me of when he does live chat shows as Partridge, he just doesn't look as at ease.

I can safely say I will never ever watch it again and I feel I need to watch all the TV series again tomorrow to restore my faith in the character!

Re: Eden lake - yeah great original film and of course a great acting performance from fassbender.

Re: alpha papa, I've never seen anything relating to Alan partridge in my life but I was compelled to download the film for some reason, I thought it was brilliant and laughed out loud many times, seemed like they actually had a good story line to me and a reason for the film to exist. The gun handle and the live roadshow were just a couple of the highlights for me.

I just picked up this bad boy:

81L39Y0iosL._SL1500_.jpg

I've just started building my Blu-ray collection and was about to buy the Copolla Restoration on its own, but saw this for £28!

I nearly got it a few months back but held out because it was about £70, cheapest I can see it for now is about £50 on Play.com so yeah, if anybody wants a bargain:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Godfather-Anniversary-Collection-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B00979K9Z6

It comes with both Blu-ray and DVD versions of the Copolla boxset, a family tree 'map', a copy of the original script including hand-written notes and such as well as a selection of photo cards taken on set. The main thing of course is the fact that it all comes in a very snazzy box.

Canny wait for delivery :D

• Like 2

Re: alpha papa, I've never seen anything relating to Alan partridge in my life but I was compelled to download the film for some reason, I thought it was brilliant and laughed out loud many times, seemed like they actually had a good story line to me and a reason for the film to exist. The gun handle and the live roadshow were just a couple of the highlights for me.

Interesting really, I'm a big Coogan and Partridge fan, I loved it. sonic_bouma is a big Partridge fan and didn't like it, you've never seen Partridge before and liked it. I think this shows that prior appreciation has no bearing on the enjoyment of the film :)

I appreciate people see films differently but I'm genuinely interested to hear why you though this film was one of the funniest you have ever seen.

I'm a massive fan of Steve Coogan and can quote Alan Partridge episodes all day long I've watched them so much but this film was an abomination in my eyes. I actually did not laugh once and I can't believe I would ever say that about Partridge.

The dialogue was incredibly rushed and Coogan looked extremely uncomfortable playing Partridge. Its like he knew the script was shit and felt he had to rush through out in the hope the audience dont realise.Whereas before the character is done so well it's like an extension of himself, in this film he seemed to be trying too hard, exaggerating every facial expression and line of dialogue. It reminded me of when he does live chat shows as Partridge, he just doesn't look as at ease.

I can safely say I will never ever watch it again and I feel I need to watch all the TV series again tomorrow to restore my faith in the character!

I think I can understand how you might not like it as it does have a different feel to the series. But there were a lot of very funny moments.

Like Michael jumping off the pier at the end for instance?

I think I can understand how you might not like it as it does have a different feel to the series. But there were a lot of very funny moments.

Like Michael jumping off the pier at the end for instance?

Michael is such a fantastic character, he deserved more screen time. I just wish they had reduced the amount of characters in it by 50% and the storyline resembled those of the series. But it has got a lot of acclaim and great reviews from Partridge fans, which although absolutely baffles me, means they must have done something right.

I agree with you. Massive Partridge fan - very disappointed by Alpha Papa. Don't get me wrong, I did laugh but there just weren't any 'classic' Partridge moments in it and it's probably the least funny thing he's been in. I think the whole heist storyline was unnecessary. He's at his funniest doing the mundane and being a total prick but he was almost too 'alright' in this.

Watched this last night.

Everything_Must_Go_Movie.jpg

Film 4 must have been having some sort of Will Ferrell night.

Beyond Anchorman I find Ferrell pretty hit and miss. Some stuff is funny (Stepbrothers, Old School), some stuff is massive shite (Talladega Nights).

I expected the worst from this, and only really watched it because it was the only thing on as I'd never actually heard of it, but it was surprisingly quite good. Was weird to see Ferrell in a more serious role (it's still a comedy of sorts, but massively detached from his silly humour that he's known for. Not really laugh out loud stuff, although I very much did laugh out loud at one point and I was watching on my own). He's really very good in it.

Anyway, worth a watch for sure. Nothing spectacular but a very decent film.

Yes, I enjoyed Everything Must Go (Rebecca Hall  :wub: ) and I think Ferrell is decent when playing it straight (see Stranger than Fiction for further evidence).

**EDIT** AVFCDAN - Great minds eh?  ;)

Edited by Designer1

I enjoyed Alpha Papa. Suffered a bit from being movie length as sitcom-to-film's occasionally do, but it had enough in it to make my laugh enough to be happy with it. Sufficiently Partridge for me at least. 

Just watched Anchorman 2 - fine - plenty of laughs, Brick, is used a lot more in this film, probably predictably, and there are enough funny moments to come away fairly content at the end. Also a few scenes that missed and a bit baggy too but overall, ok. 

• Like 1

Finally watched Django Unchained.. to be honest I was a bit disappointed. I think I was expecting it to be a masterpiece. It was good but not brilliant. Maybe my expectations were too high

Â